Nada book values - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Jerboy
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2011 RTL
White / Olive

Nada book values

Well, went shopping for my new 2013 Ridge today. I was looking to trade my 2011 RTL with Navigation on the same in a 2013. Dealer says NOBODY uses NADA values anymore. They use something called the BLACK BOOK. Story short, they were $6000 too high on the deal. Discounted the MSRP of $38,610 by $1200 and offered me $20,000 for my 2011 with 74,000 miles on it. Rough trade from NADA is $22,675 and clean trade is $25,375. This WOULD have been the 6th vehicle I was going to buy from this dealer.
Jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
mtb
ROC Rank: Junior
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: Nada book values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerboy View Post
Well, went shopping for my new 2013 Ridge today. I was looking to trade my 2011 RTL with Navigation on the same in a 2013. Dealer says NOBODY uses NADA values anymore. They use something called the BLACK BOOK. Story short, they were $6000 too high on the deal. Discounted the MSRP of $38,610 by $1200 and offered me $20,000 for my 2011 with 74,000 miles on it. Rough trade from NADA is $22,675 and clean trade is $25,375. This WOULD have been the 6th vehicle I was going to buy from this dealer.

NADA Guide vs. Black Book vs. Kelley Blue Book:

http://autos.aol.com/article/best-blue-book/

mtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Major Tom
2012 RTS
White/Grey

Having sold cars 40 years ago, the black book has been used for ever. It is way more conservative in pricing then the NADA or Kelley Blue Book. The Black Book also uses auction pricing, which is even worse then the other two. It is basically a way to really low ball a trade-in.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Jerboy
2011 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Having sold cars 40 years ago, the black book has been used for ever. It is way more conservative in pricing then the NADA or Kelley Blue Book. The Black Book also uses auction pricing, which is even worse then the other two. It is basically a way to really low ball a trade-in.
And LOW BALL they did!! Guess I will be driving the 2011 for a while. Problem is---this dealer changed sales managers and things are going downhill fast!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
And LOW BALL they did!! Guess I will be driving the 2011 for a while. Problem is---this dealer changed sales managers and things are going downhill fast!!!
Check out: https://tradein.autotrader.com

They make cash offers for used vehicles and I've found they offer slightly above KBB Trade-In value in my area.

I have not personally sold one to a dealer using this method but I do know two people that did... and both worked as expected.

All content i publish is Copyright at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Slider
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
White / Olive

3 out of 4 times people will go back again if they really want something so it makes little sense for the dealer not to low ball you. The dealer will obviously use the one best for him. Don't take it personal. Wait two weeks and try again.
OEM- Hitch, Brush Guard, Fog Lights, Wood Dash, Side Mouldings, Fender Flares/Splash Guards, Roof Rack and Hard Cover. Non OEM- Fat Bob's Lift, 2013 RTL wheels, 265/60/18 LTX MS 2's, front tint, LED's, Figs props, Pioneer Avic x930 bt, Bazooka sub, Backup camera, Fog Light mod.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
kone
ROC Rank: Junior
2010 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

Published numbers on the net at places like KBB, Edmunds, NADA etc. are all done by the dealers, for the dealers, so they can "justify" buying low and selling high.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Jerboy
2011 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
3 out of 4 times people will go back again if they really want something so it makes little sense for the dealer not to low ball you. The dealer will obviously use the one best for him. Don't take it personal. Wait two weeks and try again.
NOPE!! Had enough. Nothing wrong with the 2011. I'll just keep and enjoy it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Parsec
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
NOPE!! Had enough. Nothing wrong with the 2011. I'll just keep and enjoy it.
Sounds like the dealer saved you about $15k by not making it an easy decision to trade in
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Jerboy
2011 RTL
White / Olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sounds like the dealer saved you about $15k by not making it an easy decision to trade in
Yup!! No buyers remorse here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.