Power Steering Fluid Leak - Page 4 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
OldNorske
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Hi OldNorske. Looking at the diagram below, I believe the hose clamp you are referring to is on the inlet side (B) of the pump, correct?

And iirc, there have been some reports of an o-ring that has also been replaced due to leaking. I believe that is depicted in this image.

Both of these fixes seem pretty simple to accomplish, assuming you can get to them easily.
Actually Speed, I think it was on the "A" line. It's hard for me to tell on the diagram. If you look down, on the passenger side, it is where the metal line connects to the rubber line (towards the bottom/front of the truck). You can get at it by turning the wheel.

If it wasn't 9 degrees and dark outside, I would go out and attempt to take a picture of it.

If I think of it, I will attempt a photo tomorrow.
OldNorske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
OldNorske
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorske View Post
Actually Speed, I think it was on the "A" line. It's hard for me to tell on the diagram. If you look down, on the passenger side, it is where the metal line connects to the rubber line (towards the bottom/front of the truck). You can get at it by turning the wheel.

If it wasn't 9 degrees and dark outside, I would go out and attempt to take a picture of it.

If I think of it, I will attempt a photo tomorrow.
Here you go Speed. The line with the added clamp is directly below and back of the A/C compressor. I know it may be hard to see. I don't have the best camera.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #33
OldNorske
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Um...Speedlever? Are you there?

I know this is insignificant, but I went out and took the picture. I'm sure that if this power steering return line leak happened to me, it can happen to some other folks.

Soooo...why has this not been posted on the forum?

It could give the OP one more thing to look for, that might possibly explain where his power steering fluid is disappearing to.

just sayin'
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorske View Post
Here you go Speed. The line with the added clamp is directly below and back of the A/C compressor. I know it may be hard to see. I don't have the best camera.
Wow, that looks like a good place for a leak to happen and not get noticed for a while.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Yeah, I'm here ON. Just not sure what to make of the pic you took. I really thought you were talking about the inlet line to the pump. But apparently not.

I did some work on my RL today and wish I'd thought to look there as well.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #36
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

My truck experienced what turned out to be a slow PS fluid leak. It was in the PS radiator fitting area. Both the PS radiator and the hose needed replacing. It was covered under my extended warranty, and would otherwise have cost about $600 to fix. Note that Canadian costs are often quite inflated compared to the US.

The mechanic says that it's not uncommon (not sure how common that is, but I have not seen it reported here on the ROC). Not knowing the root cause, I am not sure if we need to add to our knowledge base about preventing another occurrence.
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
OldNorske
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
My truck experienced what turned out to be a slow PS fluid leak. It was in the PS radiator fitting area. Both the PS radiator and the hose needed replacing. It was covered under my extended warranty, and would otherwise have cost about $600 to fix. Note that Canadian costs are often quite inflated compared to the US.

The mechanic says that it's not uncommon (not sure how common that is, but I have not seen it reported here on the ROC). Not knowing the root cause, I am not sure if we need to add to our knowledge base about preventing another occurrence.
It's really ironic! Waaayyyy back in this thread, I told you all about a power steering fluid leak (that was "fixed" by adding extra hose clamps). This fix was applied about five years ago. Please keep in mind, the fact that, this "fix" has worked for five years!

Three weeks ago (when the temps dropped to zero), I found a puddle of P/S fluid on my driveway (it was mixed with the snow, so it was easier to clean up). When I noticed the noise from the pump and checked the reservoir, I added Honda P/S fluid and took the Ridgeline to the dealer and showed them the printouts of the original "fix". They took the "extra hose clamps" off the hose and installed another clamp (non-OEM). I drove it home (30 miles), and the next day there was another puddle! I am, in no way, putting the dealer's service department down. The original "fix" lasted five years.

Here is the final result...There was a "pinhole leak" in the hose. The dealer's service department replaced the...

Oil Cooler Hose, part # 53732SJCA02, Return Pipe, part # 53779SJCA03, Oil Hose Clip, part # 90635S5AA02, and Oil Hose Clip, part # 90635SM4A02 (I put these part numbers up for Speedlever, since I wanted him to understand what hose I was referring to).

All is well now.

p.s. By the way...$200.00, but that's the way it goes (it's not like a car payment every month!).
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
dustboy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 RT
White / Beige

Just got my RL back from the tire shop for some new rubber.

They did their usual "safety inspection" (i.e., billfold leak evaluation) and found a leak at the passenger side of the rack, supposedly from the boot. I haven't stuck my head underneath to see what they were talking about yet, but they also mentioned that it's "an electronic rack that has to be reprogrammed with the computer once it's replaced". Yeah, okay guys. Either way, I'm not having the work done at a tire shop.
dustboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #39
ksdaoski
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Had a puddle under the truck, 67k miles
Located it down to a leaking power steering hose, similar to depicted above.
Attempted the hose clamp fix.
Seems to have held overnight!
ksdaoski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #40
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 LX
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustboy View Post
but they also mentioned that it's "an electronic rack that has to be reprogrammed with the computer once it's replaced". Yeah, okay guys. Either way, I'm not having the work done at a tire shop.
I've never heard that. Due to dustboys sarcasm I take it this is BS right?

Previous Rides:
2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.