Anyone Replace the Power Steering Pump? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Anyone Replace the Power Steering Pump?

The green dye could be indicative of a high or low pressure a/c leak in a hose that someone has tried to track and/or fix.

The PS reservoir is very simple to replace, if the fluid looks pretty dirty. They run about $20 online or so. There's a filter of some sorts in the reservoir, and I suppose you could clean it, but for $20-ish, it seems to make sense to just replace the whole reservoir.

You may find this post and embedded links of interest.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...0&postcount=13

Welcome to the ROC. I assume an 07 HR is a Honda Ridgeline. I see by your profile you have an RT trim line.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 LX
Formal Black

This makes me worry about my power steering pump and the racket that can come out of it at rediculous temperatures. It didn't do it today though. Seemed that long drive yesterday helped.

Previous Rides:
2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #13
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

jeb,

I suspect your operating conditions are the reason Honda puts that note on the maintenance schedules saying for Canadian owners to follow the severe maintenance schedule.... do the timing belt at 60k, more frequent fluid changes, etc.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...9&postcount=11

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
07SilvetRt
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

Thanks speedlever, I will try replacing the reservoir first.It would be great if that is the issue. As for the Ac , It's a cold couple days in sunny FL right now so I cant really test it. I did order an AC compressor off ebay though, worst case I'll hold on to it or just re sell it later.
07SilvetRt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

My daughter's 07 Maxima had that green dye dripping off the bottom. Turned out her LP line was leaking. Badly.

LP line:

LP line after I wiped the gook off. You can see the pinhole leaks.

If/when you replace the PS fluid reservoir, put the front end up on jackstands so you can crank the steering wheel back and forth to purge as much of the old fluid as you can out of the system with the engine off. I used a Mityvac to suck out all I could and got most of it (nearly a liter) out of the system. I show that in that thread I linked.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
pjab
2007 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Hey Guys,
I get this moaning too. I only hear it in the mornings when the truck is cold then it goes away. Is this normal?
I found the PS fluid was low so i added to it. Honda couldnt find a leak.
I checked this am and its low again.
Thanks
pjab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

First thing I would check is the inlet side of the pump... there's a hose that connects there and the 0-ring is prone to leaking. I believe there is a thread here about that, but I don't have a link at hand at the moment.

If that's not it, you may have a leak in the system itself which may require replacement of the rack. That will not be cheap.

Has your PS fluid ever been changed? How many klicks on your RL?

Meanwhile, here is a link to an Accord forum that discusses (with pics) the issue on the V6:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=606221

Here is a link to a TSB about it too (from the above link):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...tKUVDehvCeRc-Q

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
pjab
2007 RT
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
First thing I would check is the inlet side of the pump... there's a hose that connects there and the 0-ring is prone to leaking. I believe there is a thread here about that, but I don't have a link at hand at the moment.

If that's not it, you may have a leak in the system itself which may require replacement of the rack. That will not be cheap.

Has your PS fluid ever been changed? How many klicks on your RL?

Meanwhile, here is a link to an Accord forum that discusses (with pics) the issue on the V6:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=606221

Here is a link to a TSB about it too (from the above link):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...tKUVDehvCeRc-Q
115,000km. PS fluid never been changed.
pjab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

Honda sells a rebuilt kit (some springs and rubber parts that replace the worn parts in the PS pump - take pictures as you disassemble it the parts look similar but are not and will only go back in if assembled correctly - takes a Honda skilled mechanic about 10 minutes to do it. I watched them do a couple - they sometimes get the front rubber and the back rubber reversed and have to swap them to get it back in the housing.

That is a lot cheaper than a new pump - you need a new pump if the pully wheel is damaged other than that a rebuild kit will work.

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 LX
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
jeb,

I suspect your operating conditions are the reason Honda puts that note on the maintenance schedules saying for Canadian owners to follow the severe maintenance schedule.... do the timing belt at 60k, more frequent fluid changes, etc.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...9&postcount=11
Oh jezzzz Just seen this now Speed.
Yeah I got my maintenance Schedule figured out. Its got 60000KM on it now, I bought it with 48000 in August from a Halifax Honda dealer and they replaced all the fluids before I bought it. I just did the power steering fluid not to long ago and I haven't heard a peep out of the pump since. Planning a July trip to Alberta, gonna get the Honda dealer there to replace most fluids. Probably all but the brake fluid. Ill let that go ill next winter.

Previous Rides:
2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.