J35A91 vs J35Z5 - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: J35A91 vs J35Z5

Isn't that the engine that could have the TRD supercharger added and still keep the factory warranty?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Isn't that the engine that could have the TRD supercharger added and still keep the factory warranty?
You know your Toyotas. Go Speedlever. Yup those 3.4 motors went in to the early T100 and tacomas and the 96 and up 4runners, but when Toyota added their TRD package to the Tacomas in maybe 2000~ish that you could get a supercharger added at the dealer! Same warranty, same everything. It was a $2000 option and Ive never seen one installed but I sure would like to take one of those for a spin. I grew up on Hondas and Toyotas. I love Toyota just as much as Honda. They make a great rig.

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Same here. It took Toyota a few years to figure out that 3.4l V6. The first few years they had <gasp> head gasket issues. I had that same engine in a 1996 Taco. I think it was recalled for the HG after I sold it (sold a few months after I bought the T100 with the 3.4l V6).

I seriously considered springing for the TRD supercharger. That stock 190hp/220 ft-lbs of torque was nothing to brag about. But it was solid. I feared the autotranny would not hold up under the SC. Some guys were modding their trannies to accomodate the extra power. I have some threads about that somewhere... but they may have vanished from the 'net by now.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Same here. It took Toyota a few years to figure out that 3.4l V6. The first few years they had <gasp> head gasket issues. I had that same engine in a 1996 Taco. I think it was recalled for the HG after I sold it (sold a few months after I bought the T100 with the 3.4l V6).

I seriously considered springing for the TRD supercharger. That stock 190hp/220 ft-lbs of torque was nothing to brag about. But it was solid. I feared the autotranny would not hold up under the SC. Some guys were modding their trannies to accomodate the extra power. I have some threads about that somewhere... but they may have vanished from the 'net by now.
Ya, the predecessor to the motor, a 3.0 had head gasket problems as well. The good thing was is that they got that fixed by 97 or 98.

The 3.4 in the 4runners only had 183hp, and 217ft/lb. I think due to some sound deadening stuff. Yeah it wasnt under powered, but it could use a bit more for sure. Dad never cared about power anways... he just bought a tacoma with a 2.7L in it. Great truck, just not gonna win any races.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP..

Opps..

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

J35A91 vs J35Z5

This talk of the 06-08 J35A9 engine being unreliable is just plain not true. The cyl 4 issue has reared its ugly head a few times on here, but it is still very rare. The only reason it hasn't been reported on the 09+ models yet is because it appears to take a very long time for it to become a problem. Several thousand members have well over 100,000 trouble-free miles on their trucks. Some have way more than that. There is no engine that is bulletproof. Even if it's only one out of every 100,000 engines built, there will always at least be one that has issues. Sometimes that is related to assembly or material use issues. Other times it's due to owner neglect. Let's face it, some vehicle owners have no idea how to take care of a vehicle. That leads to issues. However, even the most well-maintained vehicle can have problems. Honda's specialty is engines. They have become extremely good at it. Both the 35A and 35Z are very reliable engines. It's been proven that their reliability is much better than most every other comparable engine out there. As was said, if something major happens to you, then that will greatly affect how you perceive the reliability and worth of not only that vehicle, but also the company who made it. Honda is one of the best in the business for a reason.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
This talk of the 06-08 J35A9 engine being unreliable is just plain not true. The cyl 4 issue has reared its ugly head a few times on here, but it is still very rare. The only reason it hasn't been reported on the 09+ models yet is because it appears to take a very long time for it to become a problem. Several thousand members have well over 100,000 trouble-free miles on their trucks. Some have way more than that. There is no engine that is bulletproof. Even if it's only one out of every 100,000 engines built, there will always at least be one that has issues. Sometimes that is related to assembly or material use issues. Other times it's due to owner neglect. Let's face it, some vehicle owners have no idea how to take care of a vehicle. That leads to issues. However, even the most well-maintained vehicle can have problems. Honda's specialty is engines. They have become extremely good at it. Both the 35A and 35Z are very reliable engines. It's been proven that their reliability is much better than most every other comparable engine out there. As was said, if something major happens to you, then that will greatly affect how you perceive the reliability and worth of not only that vehicle, but also the company who made it. Honda is one of the best in the business for a reason.

Couldnt have said it better. I wonder what made OP think there were so many complaints about about the j35a motors? Go look at GM motors. JUNKKK.

Previous Rides:
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

J35A91 vs J35Z5

In all fairness, most of the only things brought up about these engines in this forum are problems and issues. There aren't many "this is the best engine that has ever existed" threads on here. It can make the rare cases of engine troubles seem more prevalent. Plus, I do believe Gouranga had an issue with a connecting rod in his engine. It is very unfortunate for him but for every one reported case like his, there are a few hundred others who can say they've never had a problem. The main two issues with the drivetrains in these trucks are avoidable. Keep a constant eye on the torque on your spark plugs, the spacer washers on the transmission cooler fittings going into the radiator and keep up with regular fluid maintenance.

Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

And no crazy driving!

(thanks to Stebman007 for the pics).

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
There aren't many "this is the best engine that has ever existed" threads on here.
Maybe we should start one to balance the bad!

Previous Rides:
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Nah. It would just be thousands of positive posts to a rare negative post. Not to detract from the issues that people have had. But as Ian said, generally only the problem issues rise to the surface. And if you've had a problem, then percentages don't count.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.