DIY oil change vs. Quick lube - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
alansweinstein
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: DIY oil change vs. Quick lube

I took my company owned vehicles to various discount oil change shops for years. I made it a point to talk to the employees (out of curiosity) to confirm my observations. They are minimum wage screw- ups who can't keep a job and don't care about you or your vehicle. At one privately owned oil change business I noticed the owner of the business was always in the "pit" draining the oil and replacing the filters. When I asked him why he did all the "dirty" work, he looked at me like I was stupid and responded; when the hired help did it he had to replace too many engines.

I also feel much better when I can regularly inspect the underside of my vehicle for leaks etc. At oil change time I also rotate tires, inspect brake pads, lube caliper pins and do other routine maintenance/inspection. I actually enjoy working on my vehicle and feel it is a part of the driving/ownership experience.

In short I value my vehicle, depend on its reliability and will avoid allowing people who don't from working on it.
alansweinstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Nice judgmental crowd on this thread. ^^^^

At least these "screw ups" are out there trying to earn a living instead of living off of hand outs.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

There are excellent shops around with very competent mechanics. I know of two off the bat I would probably trust with my car more than myself when it comes to more involved repairs.
Like anything, there's good and bad out there. And more good than bad. But it does not always make sense to use a competent mechanic for things you can do yourself more conveniently or economically. It is no reflection on the 'good' mechanic if you go that route. He will certainly be making a good living on more involved jobs not to mention those who are not into DIY for even the most basic maintenance.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
cccbock
ROC Rank: Senior
2012 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

Our local fast lube chain (shall remain nameless) routinely hires a large number of untrained people, ex jailbirds, and high school dropouts. The turnover is astronomical. They have "managers" and "techs" not mechanics. They do not ever touch my truck. And no I'm not judgemental...at age 19 my son worked for them for over a year. At 6 months, they offered him the store manager's job for which he was completely untrained and unqualified.

I do all my own wrenching on 6 vehicles, 2 of which are Hondas. If you must have someone else change your oil, I recommend the dealer. If you have no Honda or Acura dealer close by, use a shop that the owner actually turns wrenches, or at the very least sits in the front office. Avoid national chains unless you personally know the people that work there.

My $0.02
cccbock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
loginfailed
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

The main problems in my opinion:
  • You have no idea what oil and filter is being used
  • You have no idea if they are actually doing the work correctly/completely
  • You have no idea what training they have

Ask questions. If you like the answers and you trust the shop then go for it.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I have personally had a local dealership leave off the oil filler cap after an oil change (not Honda). I have a friend who took his Camry into a quick-change shop for an oil change over lunch. When he drove his vehicle away after the service, he made it about two miles down the road before the oil light came on and his engine was destroyed. They put the wrong filter on.

Stuff happens.

So I do my own routine maintenance. If I screw up, I know who to blame. I also know the work is done properly and meticulously.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Personally, I would bring my vehicle to a quick lube place, only because I know the owner of a couple of them. He hires the best people he can, trains them right, and the little amount of turnover he has is proof he treats his people right.

With that being said, I doubt very much if I would bring my vehicle to just any quick lube place. I have had bad experiences, have heard more than one horror story, and I get tired of them trying to up-sell you on every service they provide. A while back, my wife went in for an oil change, that was supposed to cost around $16 with a coupon, and ended up driving away after paying over $100. They changed out air and cabin filters that were only a couple of months old, replaced wipers that didn't need replacing, and did a radiator fill and flush that didn't need to be done.

I guess I can't fault the guys at the lube place, because my wife just kept saying, "OK"..."Yeah"..."Sure"...on everything they suggested. I guess that is how they make their money; by providing service, on things that don't need to be serviced, for people who don't know any better.

When I need an oil change I either do it myself or take it to the dealership when I don't have time to do it myself. I drive around 15k a year and change my oil twice a year. For the $20-$25 more the dealership charges (more than the quickie lube places), IMHO it's worth it.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Parsec
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Wow, so many opinions and horror stories. I suppose I'll just do it myself since it doesn't take long and I can properly check for leaks, etc. Thanks for all the stories.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Jimmyglendale
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

Send a message via ICQ to Jimmyglendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Wow, so many opinions and horror stories. I suppose I'll just do it myself since it doesn't take long and I can properly check for leaks, etc. Thanks for all the stories.
just turn the valve on my fumoto valve and let the oil drain into a jug, if i change the filter every other oil change it is super easy to do. just thinking about the filter every other change?

1947 ford coupe black/flamed crate motor 330 hosses

1964 Impala 2dr. hardtop 454 big block Air/bagged
Jimmyglendale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

My anal nature will not allow the oil filter to be changed every-other-oil-change.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.