Catastrophic fail today - Page 8 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #71
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Catastrophic fail today

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgiesinwaverly View Post
When I am due for a timing belt I am also going to replace the head gasket.
For what reason? It is extremely rare for an actual head gasket to fail on a RL. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. You'd have a pile of extra money into it and it wouldn't be necessary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #72
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Catastrophic fail today

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
Speed, for galvanic corrosion to occur the dissimilar metals need be in contact with an electrolye - a solution capable of conducting electrical current. In this case it would be a mixture of water and road salt, sodium and calcium chloride. The different electrical potentials of the metals isn't significant until the electrolyte is introduced. From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the corrosion is occurring from the coolant or transmission fluid being the electrolyte. It is external corrosion of the fitting washers, one is a cathode and the other is the anode with the result being an increase in the thickness of one of the washers. This forces the fitting assembly to move backwards out of the transmission heat exchanger which compromises the internal seal. At that point the two fluids can mix or if your lucky the entire fitting pops out and you lose both fluids before they mix and circulate through the engine and transmission. I think a periodic application of naval jelly on the washers would help considerably.
Glad I am not alone sharing the same thoughts, I know nothing about galvanic
rust, it just made sense to me the the washer gets rusted and damaged to the point that it serves no purpose causing the damages described and seen in every case.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #73
thooks
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Am I the only one that thinks a radiator blowing out (at 100k miles) isn't a "catastrophic failure" ???

Uh, a 'catastrophic failure' would be the engine locking up tighter than strings on a banjo.
thooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #74
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

I would assume its catastrophic if the radiator also takes the transmission along with it due to the fluids mixing.

(2) Honda EU2000i Generators
Pressure Washer with a Honda GCV160 engine

Gone but not forgotten:

2012 Ridgeline RTS
2012 Odyssey Touring
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Catastrophic fail today

If it were just the radiator, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The fact that it can destroy your transmission if not caught and fixed right away is certainly a catastrophic failure in my book.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #76
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Well it might overheat the engine "just a smigg" if you don't get her shut down soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #77
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Thanks for the explanation FineLine. Would the atmosphere near the coast (salt air) work similar to salt and water in the rust belt?

And is this the same way the MDX video showed the failure? It appeared to fail inside first and only came apart during the removal process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
Speed, for galvanic corrosion to occur the dissimilar metals need be in contact with an electrolye - a solution capable of conducting electrical current. In this case it would be a mixture of water and road salt, sodium and calcium chloride. The different electrical potentials of the metals isn't significant until the electrolyte is introduced. From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the corrosion is occurring from the coolant or transmission fluid being the electrolyte. It is external corrosion of the fitting washers, one is a cathode and the other is the anode with the result being an increase in the thickness of one of the washers. This forces the fitting assembly to move backwards out of the transmission heat exchanger which compromises the internal seal. At that point the two fluids can mix or if your lucky the entire fitting pops out and you lose both fluids before they mix and circulate through the engine and transmission. I think a periodic application of naval jelly on the washers would help considerably.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #78
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetdry View Post
Well it might overheat the engine "just a smigg" if you don't get her shut down soon.
Which could warp the head and cause other issues.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #79
frogbite
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Ok, i completely read this thread and even started one myself yesterday that I think I answered myself. One thing that is not clear to me is if it is reasonable to assume if you don't see any corrosion or rust around the fittings are you alright? I live in a warm climate in the middle of the state of Florida, so if I don't see any physical issues with the fittings should I be concerned?

I will probably still change out the radiator at 105k, but being at 95k now and seeing others hit this at 99k or earlier has me concerned. My truck is a 2007 and is also garage kept since I bought it in 2007.
frogbite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #80
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I think you're probably in good shape. Can you get some pics of your fittings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.