Pioneer HU w/ Pioneer Backup Cam Issue - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
DLIT
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL

Pioneer HU w/ Pioneer Backup Cam Issue

Anybody familiar with Pioneer units and their camera on/off setting (underneath the icon) in the setting menu? I've seen Youtube vids that, when it's off, the cam will display only when it's in reverse. If left on, the cam's just always on so I assume that's how mine should function.

I spliced into the reverse light wire behind the driver's kick panel. When the camra is on, it will have a black screen constantly until I put it in reverse, then it works fine. I put it in gear and I'm just looking at the black screen. I can touch the screen and it goes back to the bluetooth audio screen where I can view what's playing but that goes off after a moment and back to the black screen. With the cam off, nothing happens when I put it in reverse. Confusing.

I have the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS with the Pioneer camera. Am I doing something wrong? Should I connect it in a different way?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Pioneer HU w/ Pioneer Backup Cam Issue

Don't have or know your system but I'll offer some general thoughts on your problems.
If it should work all the time, which I question being something Pioneer would allow, then it's possible that there is a wiring issue. The reverse wire sounds like it is doing what it's susposed to which would mean the camera is not being fed power, or triggered on, in the "on" mode.
My other thought would be that Pioneer has made the unit incapable of showing the rear camera input when the car is in forward gear and that the youtube video is from someone who has hacked the system to override that safety feature.
Finally, I'd not discourage you from asking on fourms, someone may know. But, if it were me, I'd be trying to contact Pioneer Tech support and ask them the question. Go straight to the Horses mouth...
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
butternut82
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

I have a pioneer camera and head unit. The 3400bt. The camera is always wired to have power when the vehicle is on. It just recieves a signal to switch to it from the reverse signal . I had no issues with mine. Something got messed up in the wiring. Double check your install and read the manual. I can hold down the mute button to stop the back up can in reverse and go to the home screen.

There are some settings for the camera, if it gets a positive or ground signal to turn on. And a camera type setting. You should be able to find these settings on your head unit
butternut82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
butternut82
2008 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

The reason I got a pioneer camera is that you can switch over to the camera while driving to see what your towing.
butternut82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
bgoody
2012 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

I have that combination installed also and it works perfectly. That Camera on button is just for when you are in Drive and you want to look behind say to check out your trailer hitch. It should normally be off. The camera is supposed to be hooked up so when you put the truck into reverse the camera comes on otherwise the screen displays whatever media source you have currently selected.
bgoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

You have your cam wired into your reverse light which only recieves power when the truck itself is in reverse. So, your cam only recieves power when the backup lights are on. This is the way I have mine wired. I don't tow anything, so I really have no need to have power going to it all the time. If you want to be able to use it in the way you have stated, you're going to need to remove the power wire from the reverse wire and connect it to an accessory 12v power source that is on all the time when the truck is running. I believe there may be something like that in the pre-wiring for the tow hitch, but I'm not certain.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.