Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Hitch Wiring for Surge Brakes Reverse Lockout

23K views 93 replies 26 participants last post by  jlange 
#1 ·
I have the factory Honda accessory hitch/harness installed on my Ridgeline and need some information.

My boat trailer has surge type disk brakes on the axles. In order to reverse the trailer, the electronic lock-out pin has to be engaged by receiving 12 volts when the truck in placed in reverse. This locks out the trailor's master brake cylinder and keeps the brakes from activating when pressure is applied to the cylinder when reversing the trailer.

However, there is not 12 volts on the center pin of the 7-pin Honda socket when the truck is shifted into reverse and the truck's reverse lights come on. The protective cap on the 7-pin socket has the connector pin out diagram on it showing the center post of the connector for "Back-up Lamps" but there are not 12 volts present when in reverse.

Having downloaded the instructions and wiring diagram for the harness from hondacuraworld, I notice there is no wiring shown at all for the center post of the 7-pin socket. Yet the socket's protective cap clearly shows there should for that post.

Has anyone else towing a trailer with surge brakes encountered the same problem? If so, I would be greatful to know what type of resolution you worked out. Thanks in advance for any advice.

See less See more
#3 ·
The fact that the center post of the 7-pin connector is not wired for reverse has been mentioned on this forum before. I have surge brakes on my boat trailer but they are drum brakes so no fifth wire. I think a call to Honda and/or your dealer is in order at this point. You bought and paid for a 7-pin connector but in reality only got a 6-pin. Plus apparently Honda is pretty touchy about anyone tapping into their wiring system. I think Honda should make this good under warranty. For the price of the wiring harness, it seems inexcusable that it was not included.

#4 ·
I did wire the center pin for backup lights. I tapped into the left backup light. The difficult part is wiring the plug - the Honda plug does NOT have a center connector installed. It's been a while but at I recall I used a spade style connector (the plug separates into two parts as I recall) and was able to get it to fit "just like from the factory" but it involved some interesting poking and prodding after opening up the back of the plug.

I enjoy this kind of thing in my weird sort of way but in general its not an easy fix. Sorry for the poor description but I'm working from memory (I remember thinking about two minutes after I hooked it up that I should have taken photos). The take-home message is it can be done but its not at all straight forward.

I am familiar with the brakes you have. It is really best to have the backup solenoid working as they lock VERY tightly in reverse (unlike drum brakes)! The work-around is to make a block that will keep your moving hitch piece from moving and activating the master cylendar. I keep a metal wedge for that purpose (even though I am back to drum brakes on my new trailer it can be very handy when backing up hill).

Norm

#5 ·
The work-around is to make a block that will keep your moving hitch piece from moving and activating the master cylendar.
Some of the couplers have a hole and a pin that can be placed to prevent master cylinder operation, but it is a PITA to have to get out and install the pin (or a block) every time you want to back up your trailer.

#6 ·
Yes. You are correct about the pin. There is one on the trailer and that is how I have been working around the issue of not having 12 volts to the center post. However, like you said, it is a major pain.

Like others replied, for the expense of the factory hitch and harness this issue should be addressed professionally. I will express this to Honda today as well as my dealer.

I am prepared to do the work around, so thanks for the advise, but only as a last resort. It is really not safe to have to hop out of the truck, in traffic or a parking lot, to put in the trailer pin in order to back up the trailer. Then having the possibility of accidentally leaving the pin in place and having no brake operation at highway speeds. So, I consider it a saftey issue as well.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Norm,

I have disk / surge brakes on my boat trailer and need a back-up light connection same as you. I expect to add a back-up light leg to the center connector just as you did but I'm a bit hesitant to tap into the back-up lights so I wanted to ask if you have experienced any issues after your connection. I tapped into the backup lights on my last truck and had no problems.....

Has anybody ever asked and received any kind of explanation from Honda why the backup light leg is missing?

Thanks for any feedback on your install.

Beaullieu

#8 ·
I am very interested in the solution to this problem. My boat has the surge breaks that are actually disc and not drum brakes. You cannot back up your boat trailer without this functioning. I was thinking about installing the wiring harness and hitch myself but I am glad I read this first. If anybody finds out why that center back up light pin doesn't function please post a response.

#9 ·
I saw in another post that there is a TSB # SN050600-004 on the problem, but I don't know what the TSB says about it. You might want to investigate this further.

#10 ·
off2catchbass said:
I am very interested in the solution to this problem. My boat has the surge breaks that are actually disc and not drum brakes. You cannot back up your boat trailer without this functioning. I was thinking about installing the wiring harness and hitch myself but I am glad I read this first. If anybody finds out why that center back up light pin doesn't function please post a response.
Has anyone gone to the dealer yet regarding this? And what does the TSB say about this? Thanks.

#11 ·
In response to the question asking if I had any trouble after tapping into the backup lights - no. But in the way of a qualification - I only used the connection with a trailer with a backup light (a large single spot light) . By the time I got the Ridgeline I no longer had the trailer with the disk brakes. I don't think the solenoid draws very much but it might be worth someones time to look up how many amps one draws.

Norm

#12 ·
This one has me troubled folks. Towing is a big reason I purchased the truck. I need a hitch and harness but I am reluctant to spend the exorbitant amount that the dealer wants to do the install. I want to still use the Honda parts but will attempt to do the job myself. I'm afraid If I install the harness from Honda and then the back up light pin doesn't have current to release my surge brakes than I have no recourse because I installed it and not the dealer. For those who mentioned the TSB. Do you know if it pertains to the harness itself meaning that later versions of the harness kit will have a fix or does it have to do with the way it is wired to the truck through the dash? Wiring the harness like Honda has prescribed is the way I want to do this. I don't want to get the standard job of connecting through the tail lights as is done in most hitch shops. I am hoping for a fix before I get mine done.

#15 ·
That response is completely unacceptable. I too have purchased my Ridgeline and paid extra for the hitch set-up so I could pull my 4K lb. plus sport boat.

I agree, if this is true, it is a major blunder on Honda's part that will need to be addressed. Like I said, it is not acceptable for those whole paid a lot of money for a truck and factory hitch set-up for regular tow use.

I have not taken my vehicle in to service yet, but I will be doing so shortly to start documenting this issue.

Thanks...

#16 ·
I just got a call back from American Honda regarding the lack of power to the reverse light pin. Their answer was that Honda does not support the reverse wire and that they will not do anything for their customers that need it. They also reaffirmed that if we tap into the wiring system and then have a problem with the wiring system, it would not be covered under warranty. They had no answer for the fact that they marketed their expensive tow package as having a 7-pin connector but failed to mention that they only supported 6 pins. Thank you very much, Honda! Another case of reputation outstripping performance. :mad:

#17 ·
Webwader said:
I just got a call back from American Honda regarding the lack of power to the reverse light pin. Their answer was that Honda does not support the reverse wire and that they will not do anything for their customers that need it. They also reaffirmed that if we tap into the wiring system and then have a problem with the wiring system, it would not be covered under warranty. They had no answer for the fact that they marketed their expensive tow package as having a 7-pin connector but failed to mention that they only supported 6 pins. Thank you very much, Honda! Another case of reputation outstripping performance. :mad:
What a crock of bull. This is the type of response/decision that will be remembered when I choose my next vehicle. Now where's that map to Detroit? :rolleyes:

#19 ·
swampler said:
Anyone remember what the marketing material claimed on the 7 pin connector?
This is all the website says:
Tow up to 5,000 pounds without additional coolers
  • Towing Package includes:
    • Class III trailer hitch
    • Trailer hitch harness with both 4- and 7-pin connectors included
    • Key-locking hitch pin
    • Either a 1-7/8" or a 2" hitch ball
  • Locking hitch pin helps provide an extra measure of security
  • 7-pin connector allows use of electric trailer brakes and trailer charging system. (These systems require additional parts. Refer to your Owners Manual.)
  • Components included in the Towing Package are available separately

#20 ·
Hey guys don't mean to be rude but that sucks. Honda DOES support it or else they would not have put in on ridges made 8/24/05 and up. My Service manager is still wanting for a call back and he said that he would cover any damage under warranty if we could not resolve the issue. And has any of you guys taped into your reverse light for the 7th pin. But I am still waiting for that call be from Honda and Don't worry I will get that in writing from my service manager.

#21 ·
What it should have said:
  • Towing Package includes:
    • Class III trailer hitch
    • Trailer hitch harness with both 4- and 7-pin connectors included
    • Key-locking hitch pin
    • Either a 1-7/8" or a 2" hitch ball
  • Locking hitch pin helps provide an extra measure of security
  • 7-pin connector allows use of electric trailer brakes and trailer charging system. (These systems require additional parts. Refer to your Owners Manual.) **
  • Components included in the Towing Package are available separately
** Actually we only connect 6 of the pins and don't even bother to ask about the 7th. If you want to tow a disc brake trailer buy something else.

#22 ·
That is VERY disappointing. I am surprised that Honda has taken that position. I would not like to have to pay for a Honda modification to fix their error but at least they would be offering a solution for those that need one. They appear to be simply blowing off the issue rather than dealing with it. That is usually not their style. What changed, and why? Frankly, I expect them to offer a solution and a fix. Their much touted 'tow ready' and towing capability seems to be at odds with what they are now saying. When I buy a six pack I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that there will be beer inside of all six cans, not just 5 out of 6 cans.
I have a very good working relationship with my dealer. I will ask them the same question and see what they say. I don't have a trailer now but probably will be getting one next year. It very well may need that missing connection.

#23 ·
I would not like to have to pay for a Honda modification to fix their error but at least they would be offering a solution for those that need one.
Well they did offer me a solution, but a darn poor one. They offered to give me a name of a company that would insure me against any damage done by towing since they won't cover it under warranty if the wiring has been modified. :eek: :mad:

#24 ·
That is not a solution at all. It is evading the issue. I find that kind of answer unacceptable and it tends to really get me angry to the point of escalating the issue.

#25 ·
I am not a happy camper at the moment, but I would be a whole lot more upset if I needed the capability right now. Since one trailer has electric brakes and the other surge drum brakes, I just very disappointed in the response from Honda. Otherwise I would be downright explosive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.