Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Trailer wiring problem

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Webwader 
#1 ·
Hooked up my boat trailer on Friday. Walked behind to quick check the lights and...NOTHING! I checked all the fuses, connectors, and other easy stuff I could think of but no luck. Called my dealer who said bring it right in. The service manager rechecked all of the easy stuff too, scratched his head, and said run it into the garage and we'll look at it right now. After two hours of reading wiring diagrams and doing circuit testing they still couldn't figure it out. On a whim they broke open a new wiring harness kit and discovered a "dummy plug" that fills an empty connector on the harness. This dummy plug doesn't just keep rain and dirt out it completes the circuits to the 7-pin and 4-flat connectors on the hitch plate. Plugged it in and everything worked. This plug is connected quite securely when it is properly installed. Since there is no way it would just fall out, they believe that the tech who originally installed the harness must not have pushed it all the way in. There was no charge and I was late but still got to go fishing. I love my Honda dealer as much as my Honda Ridgeline. Just as a precaution I wrapped some electrical tape around this connector to be double sure I don't lose it again. I think the empty connector has something to do with elecric brakes, but not sure. I don't have them on my light trailers.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I bet you save someone a two hour wait.

How light is your trailer? We have a tent trailer and I need to know if the electric assist brakes are necessary. If so, where do I find the part? We installed the hitch ourselves and I'm baffled that they wouldn't have listed this part along with the tow equipment. Is it something we can install ourselves.

#4 ·
Truckin' said:
Thanks for the heads up. I bet you save someone a two hour wait.

How light is your trailer? We have a tent trailer and I need to know if the electric assist brakes are necessary. If so, where do I find the part? We installed the hitch ourselves and I'm baffled that they wouldn't have listed this part along with the tow equipment. Is it something we can install ourselves.
I tow a 16 ft aluminum boat with a 50 HP outboard. I don't remember the exact weight, but I doubt if the whole thing weighs 2000 lbs.

There is another thread that talks about installing this wiring harness. It's possible to do it yourself, but it involves some time upside-down with your head stuck under a partially disassembled dashboard. I'm a halfway competant mechanic, but I left this to the dealer. Glad I did since I doubt they would have been so persistant trying to fix this problem had I installed it myself.

G
#6 ·
Tiger said:
When my dealer installed my hitch and harness they asked me if I need the electric brakes. I told them that I didn't so they gave me the connection and I can install it if needed or they will install it at a later date.

Tiger
Same with me. I found my extra connection in the glove box.

#7 ·
Tiger said:
When my dealer installed my hitch and harness they asked me if I need the electric brakes. I told them that I didn't so they gave me the connection and I can install it if needed or they will install it at a later date.

Tiger
I got the extra harness also. This dummy connector plug has to be installed where the extra harness would go if you were using it. Yours must be there or your lights wouldn't be working!

#8 ·
Steve,

I have the hitch installed but no trailer to test it with. I found a 10" wire with a small connector in the truck with the manual, is that the one you are talking about? If so then is the dummy connector, in the plug at the rear of the vehicle, or is it in the harness under the dash?

Thanks

steveberger said:
I got the extra harness also. This dummy connector plug has to be installed where the extra harness would go if you were using it. Yours must be there or your lights wouldn't be working!

#9 ·
At the rear of the vehicle. Up under the rear bumper.

#11 ·
Just to try and clear things up, the harness in your glovebox has nothing to do with the "dummy" plug at the rear. It is not a dummy plug. It is Honda's way of connecting the power to both the 7-pin and the 4-pin plugs. When the dealer installed my trailer hitch, it was the first one they had done and they left out the plug also. Result was only partial power to the 7-pin plug. Brought it back and they installed the plug connector and everthing worked correctly and the dealer service tech had a red face. The harness you are referring to probably is the electric brake harness that connects to a plug under the dash about the parking brake. That harness then connects to he wiring on your brake controller,

#12 ·
Webwader,

I am having a problem that is related to your post but with a twist....I have +12V power on 2 of the pins on the 4-pin connector. Any ideas with what's up with that?

Here is another post with a few more details: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=400192&postcount=6

Thanks in advance for any help. (I am just a little frustrated after being squished up under the dash for an hour searching for the 4-pin!):)

#13 ·
Re: Trailer wiring problem - SOLVED

Wow there are a lot of wiring issue threads on ROC! I wish HONDA would take note!

After hours of searching and reading around 500 to 600 posts, and a phone call to a local dealer, I was able to solve the problem: there are 2 different, but identical 4-pin connectors blue-taped under the dash. Many list the location of the 4-pin connector as being under the dash, on the right of the steering linkage and high up on a wiring bundle, secured with blue tape. This was not correct for my 2006 RTL.

The 4-pin connector above the parking brake is the correct one to use for the brake controller and is now working properly with the Prodigy controller. This post was a big help in sovling the mystery:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114881&postcount=8

Thanks to DnA's for recovering these images.

:)

#14 ·
Just got back in town H2C. Glad you solved your problem without my help because I didn't have the answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.