Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Michelin LTX 105T M/S or LTX AT/2 105S ?

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  laserguy 
#1 ·
Need new Tires.

The LTX AT/2 claims to be quieter, has 14/32 of tread, better off road traction (I do not drive on dirt or mud, only if I have to) and longer life. It has a tread wear grade of 500. Claims to also be less noisy.

The LTX M/S claims better traction in snow ( I don't go to the snow often, I am in California) for all season has 11/32 of tread. It has a 420 wear grade meaning about 16% shorter life than the LTX AT/2 but this one wears even and I believe about 4 less revolutions per mile. I believe they made some improvements on the MS since the it is a 105T and not an 105S meaning it can be driving a bit faster but no big deal.

I bought the truck used with about 68K, I put about 10k miles in one year. I noticed cracks on the tires, still have 6/32 of tread life left, I will have to pay for the difference and need to decide which tire will be better. I was thinking about sticking with the M/S but maybe the LTX AT/2 is better. Price is the same, vendor says it is the same tire.

Here is the link I hope it comes up OK. http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/ltx-at2/89576/#sizes-and-specifications

Any comments will be appreciated, thanks in advance and it is great to be part of this site, search and post questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
are the cracks on all four tires, if so replace all four. My guess your prorated amount could be less than $80-100 for all four. and that credit might only be used at a michelin dealer where you'll be likely to pay a higher price than the LTX found at costco for example.

see how much they give you , keep in mind that 2/32 the tire is spent, so if your are currently at 6/32 left, you really only have 4/32 of usable tread.

If you don't go off road- hard core. I would stay with the LTX rather than the AT2-deeper tread design and it's quiet when compared to it's competition of other deep lugged tires.

LTX is a super tire, especially suited for roads

#3 ·
Hey thanks so much! Yes all four had cracks, 45% credit, deal at Sears for $182.00 each and $81.00 credit per tire. Costco's prices are similar and you get $70.00 discount buying 4. I am better off with Sears getting the $81 credit per tire I will stick with the M/S, the descriptions are confusing and you are right the AT 2 is more of an off road tire.

Thanks again! Have great week everybody!

#4 ·
I have an 08 with stock tires. I have had flats from rock breaks using them on gravel roads. I would like to go to an LT tire to avoid the flats. So far, everything is a slightly different profile and sounds like they might rub. I don't want to do a lift or any trimming. Is there a good LT tire with a higher ply rating that might work better than the stock tires?

#5 ·
I just purchased a 2006 with 38000 and has original Michelin's on them and they too have cracks on all 4 tires. I emailed Micheline and they said it is normal for a tire to do this, especially if it sits outside, which may be true but that wasn't listed on the sticker when I purchased the vehilce. I asked the dealer and they assured me it was no issue. However, I do have a small buldge on the side of one, didn't notice when I purchased, I guess that is my fault. However, in reading your posts I noticed that you took your truck to a couple of dealerships and they are giving credit towards new tires. Is this something I can do to anyone who sells Michelin's or is there someone specific you would recommend taking them to? I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Patrick

#6 ·
Just do what I did, dude, call michelin, their website is michelinman.com call the number there explain the situation, they will ask you questions and tell you to go to a michelin tire dealer they inspect them and will determine if it is factory defect, measure the wear etc they will call michelin and give you credit for what you got left and charge you for the difference, make sure you pay no disposal fee because michelin wants those faulty tires.

#10 ·
Just purchased an 08 and all tires have cracks. Went to Michelin dealer who called Michelin and they stated since I was not the origional purchaser of tires the warranty will not apply! Have not tried Honda dealer yet but am not hopeful. Any iedas?

Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
I did it backwards, and it worked for me, unless Michelin changed their policy, you should try calling Michelin first.
The tire dealer wants your money. I was not the original owner when I got credit on mine and when I decided to do it it had almost 80k miles. Call michelin directly explain the issue, they may give you a case number, then go to Sears, I went to a little tire local shop and they measured wear to their benefit and simply avoided my issue saying michelin never called them. At sears, told them michelin needed an evaluation my, gave them my name, they called Michelin right in front of me, they got approval measured prorated, I had to special order mine because they were out of them, they had other options but I wanted the original ms version, I had the at in a ford Suv, noisy as he'll got the ms in ford Suv smooth quiet day and night difference and even wear. Not sure if the At will be as loud on the RL. good luck

#12 ·
I did call Michelin first and a recording directed me to dealer. He called Michelin while I was there and the rep stated since I was not the origional purchaser of vehicle they would not honor. Guess I will try Sears next. Dealer stated that it depends on the rep you get when calling. He gets credit on any proration so it is in his best interest to get them to honor warranty.

#13 ·
Went to Sears today. Rep called Michelin, they issued a 40% credit on a new set of Michelins so I took advantage of it. Being the first vehicle I have had with TPMS are the valve stems replaceable seperately from the sensors? I was charged for them so if not looks like I need to go back and get a credit.

#14 · (Edited)
Went to Discount Tire today to get a flat repair (screw) in one of my tires. While I was there I mentioned the dry rot on all four tires. They called Michelin and I received a 45% credit on new tires. I had 33,000 on the old ones, so I did not do too bad. Went with the OEM tires since I like the ride and especially the wear.

One question I did have is, they wanted to rebuild my sensors on the wheel for around $16 each. Did I need that done with only 33,000 miles on the truck?

Thanks for the information so I could save some money. Hopefully I will get 60,000 miles out of these new ones.

Brad

#15 ·
Wow, it is disappointing to know these factory tires become bad. Sounds like Michelin screwed Honda on a big batch of tires they sold to them for a good deal but they are still replacing them under prorated warranty.

I remember Sears billed me for the stem valves when they did not even changed them, the originals I believe are metal ones and better than the ones they replace. I had to get the credit after I went and inspected the the wheels and had to wait in line to get my money credited.

I do not think it is necessary, maybe just new valves but no stem valves.

The TPMS, I am not sure I would change them unless they are bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.