Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Guns...yes!!!!guns & The Ridgeline!!!!!

473K views 3K replies 253 participants last post by  CoolBefore 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and we have some fairly conservative gun laws here. You can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon,as long as you can meet certain lawfull qualifications.NOTE: (Recently a new gun carry law was passed (2011) by the State Of Arizona, that if you are 21 years or older you no longer need a permit to carry concealed.) You can carry a weapon in your vehicle, as long as you meet certain qualifications. You can buy a handgun today at a gun store, and if you meet certain DPS qualifications, you can take it home the same day.
The last paragraph is just so you understand the mood in this state for gun ownership. I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the rifle racks. I didn't realize how many gun enthusiasts there were out there. Some people think a gun is a luxury, but now more than ever it is a necessity to own and carry.
I am editing this because I want to thank everyone for all the replys and posts that relate to guns.
There have been over 300,000 views for my post, as of today 12/02/2015. A GUN IS A TOOL, KEEP IT WITH YOU, OR YOU CAN'T USE IT TO PROTECT YOUR SELF OR YOUR FAMILY!
Thanks again..
Vinnie
REMEMBER...IF THE WEAPON ISN'T LOADED, YOU MIGHT AS WELL USE IT AS A HAMMER!!!

Thanks...Vinnie...February 08, 2008
EDITED 07/05/2011

See less See more
Reactions: Glester and Daranch
#1,231 ·
I'm planning to buy the missus a 9mm semi-auto pistol in the near future and would love to have recommendations from this experienced team on which weapons should be in our final selection group ("shooting" for something in the <$400 range as this is primarily for in-home personal defense and she's very unlikely to be using it for anything other than range qualification and practice).

She's never fired a weapon in her 61 years on this planet, is 5'5" tall and of medium build and average physical condition and strength but with fairly small hands. I'm specifying that it be 9mm as, in my experience, that's the round with the best combination of stopping power and recoil (not to mention reasonable ammo prices). I tried talking her into either a small pump shotgun (such as a Mossberg 500 in either .410 or 20 ga) or a .22 AR clone but she nixed those ideas and said that she'd prefer a pistol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1,236 ·
I have the older Ruger P-89 in 9m. Not sure what the counterpart is in today's world. The P-89 was resonable in price and holds 15 rounds. Some of the S & W auto 9mm are very reasonable.

#1,232 ·
Standard springfield xd 9 is around 400-450 and I love that gun. Had 3 friends buy one after shooting mine.
I was look at the cz p-07 as well. Now they have in od green.....sick looking

#1,233 ·
#1,235 ·
This is the only Sub-Q I have shot before. Not many people where I live deal with the little ones. It is mostly compact pistols and full sized ones that get bought. In truth, I only have a sub Q because I bought the 2 Sum deal. Anyway, it's alright especially for your wife. You have to keep the chamber cleaned and oiled or it has some ejection issues.

IMO I bet the baby sig crimson posted or the ruger on the other page would be great options. I've never been a fan of single action pistols.

#1,239 ·
I sure like my S&W M&P 9. My wife finds it very comfortable to shoot. Of course there are a ton of comparisons between it and comparably sized Glocks.
If the Glock gen 4's were available in CA, it might have been a better comparison. The M&P has the exchangeable back straps, and is almost as easy to break down as a Glock. I have friends with both so I spent time with both and in the end I shot better with the M&P. I know with a 9mm recoil isnt such a big concern, but some of the reviews give it points for the slide/barrel sitting lower than some models which contributes to less muzzle lift which is perhaps why its the one my wife likes to shoot. Not sure the spelling is right, but the Maglula loader sure makes loading easier. No way my wife could load the mags any other way, and I have used it so much my callouses are all gone.

#1,240 ·
Thanks for the input. That thought about the lower center of gravity makes a lot of sense.

I've got one of those Butler Creek LULA units for my AR and it sure does take a lot of the hassle out of loading/unloading magazines. I'll definitely have to get her one for her new 9mm as I'm very big on people knowing how to do everything necessary on their firearms and that includes loading magazines and thorough cleaning and oiling after each use.

#1,241 ·
Why not a revolver? Simpler to use. I know the CCW instructor in my class some years ago argued to not dismiss a revolver just because semi-autos are all the rage these days. Yeah, you don't get 17-19 rounds, but a 357 loaded with 38s has always been considered a good option for home defense. Or maybe the newer 327 Mag that was designed with smaller shooters in mind.

Might have to go the used route to get it for your price, based on Ruger's MSRP for their models.

#1,243 ·
Moose, just get her a judge and don't show her what's inside until after she's at the range.

#1,244 ·
Moose, 400-450 for a good semi that's nib is a good deal. The xd is much easier to break down than s&w. cz makes some of the best guns out there. That's what I'd get for my $

#1,246 ·
MP, I'd take her local indoor range and rent as many different handguns that fit her hands and let her pick a favorite.

I just mounted a couple of Crimson Trace rail masters to make it more interesting. My plan is to start her off with the SR22 and then eventually move her into the P01. They've both been so "Honda" like with regards to reliability and safety!

Attachments

#1,249 · (Edited)
Even more disturbing than the prospect of yet another un-Constitutional ban is the possibility that the feds might grant themselves the power to confiscate firearms legally purchased pre-ban. Should this occur, gun show and other under the federal radar private party sales are apt to go right through the roof (along with prices). Every repressive government in history has begun by seizing the ability of their citizens to defend themselves against tyranny.

#1,251 ·
I just placed my order on a shiny, straight from Sig, 566R.

#1,254 ·
I've heard reports that gun shows last weekend were mobbed and that lots of the more popular items were sold out early, including high capacity magazines. For anyone who's interested, the site below appears to have an excellent supply of Magpul PMAGs in all available colors and at excellent prices ($9.71 standard, $11.93 window). I've purchased from them in the past and found their products as advertised and shipped quickly in decent packaging.

http://www.slimstacticalguns.com/High-Capacity_c_102.html

#1,257 ·
Boo, no AK mags. Those old steels are getting harder and harder to find. Everyone just carries the crappy tapco ones.

#1,261 ·
Being a 1911 fan, I do prefer an external safety. When I first switched over to the M&P40 (From the SP2022), I bumped the safety on a couple of times at a couple of matches. However, this hasn't happened recently. I changed my strong hand grip to rest the thumb on top of the safety when firing. I find it gives me a bit more leverage to control recoil. Also, since it doubles as a carry gun, I require it to have the external safety. There are a lot of the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) that use Glocks. There have already been two accidental self inflicted gun shot wounds this year alone at the IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA matches I attend. In both cases, the shooters / victims were cops with Glocks. I have never liked the striker fired design when coupled with a 3.5lbs trigger. I feel it is a recipe for disaster for what I do and how I carry.

#1,262 ·
Yes, thanks. I have the heavier trigger pull. I forget exactly what it is, but probably 6.5lbs (What ever CA mandates for off the shelf purchases) which is fine for my non competitive target use and hopefully never to be needed home protection. I have considered some of the upgraded triggers.

I've also heard of a few unfortunate cases of Glock leg from one of my hunting and fishing officer friends, and this was during re-holstering. Carry permits in CA are non existent for the average citizen without a significant immediately demonstrable need to protect life and liberty. Butt.... i can still order ammo from Cabela's and have it delivered to my door, for now, even though Wallmart still has the best prices when they have what I want.

#1,263 ·
I'm thinking about adding a "plinker" to my collection. I like the looks of the 1911, but don't like the price of the rounds that go in one...so I am am thinking about going with a Sig Sauer 1911-22. Anybody have any experience with that particular model? I checked one out at a local gun shop a couple weeks ago...talk about a nice looking unit.

This is what I am talking about...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/912634545/SIG+SAUER+1911+22CAL+OD+GREEN+NEW.htm

#1,264 ·
Sig is my preferred firearms maker by a long way. I have not shot that 22 though. If you're looking at getting a 1911 then that or something similar would be a good proficiency tool if anything.

Thanks for the link Crimson. That actually helped a good bit. The tapco mags I have for the sagia aint going to cut it for the 556 I ordered.

#1,265 · (Edited)
My M&P40 trigger pull is right at 5lbs to 5.5lbs. Since it doubles as my carry weapon, I have no plans on changing the trigger. However, should I get the STI Trojan 1911 in 40S&W for Christmas :)act010:), I will want a 3.5lbs trigger in it along with Dawson Precision sights. Should I get it, that will be my comp gun.

#1,266 · (Edited)
My M&P40 trigger pull is right at 5lbs to 5.5lbs. Since it doubles as my carry weapon, I have no plans on changing the trigger. However, should I get the STI Ranger 1911 in 40S&W for Christmas :)act010:), I will want a 3.5lbs trigger in it along with Dawson Precision sights. Should I get it, that will be my comp gun.
Hopefully Santa reads this forum. In case he does, I'd very much like a M&P40 in my stocking this year as it would be such a nice match to my M&P Sport.

Attachments

#1,269 ·
Problem is the Browning 06 has very limited mag capacity. I hang on to it because it is Belgium made and continues to increase in value. The levers are 2 centennials I have had for a while, 1867-1967 Canadian and 1894-1994 Winchester.

#1,280 ·
I just bought a gun safe from Academy. It's about 650#, should it be okay in my RL or do I need to be very cautious with the tailgate? Looking for any advice/best practices from fellow ROC'ers. Going to pick it up on Tuesday. A buddy has an appliance dolly that he's used to move a few so that part is covered. I just want to get some RL advice. Would it be a bad idea to load with the tailgate opened to the side instead of down?

#1,283 · (Edited)
I moved a similar weight safe no problem. Had about 5 help me load it so no prob there avoiding the whole weight on the gate. Had only one friend help me at home and there we did slide it off with the whole weight on gate for a brief moment without any issue or damage of any sort. We also used about 6 lengths of 3/4 PVC pipe to roll it across the garage floor and over some hardwood floor and medium shag carpet down a hall and that worked very well. You just keep putting rollers in front as they come out the back. I
was just careful to keep things going in a straight line on the wood floor and turn slowly to not damage the floor. That was my only real concern and in the end the pipe trick worked very well. I didn't have an appliance dolly so this worked very well and is very easy to move around tight spots since it sits straight up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.