Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Need new tires - thoughts?

26K views 118 replies 37 participants last post by  SHO4CY 
#1 ·
Here is some back story: I have had a set of General Grabber HTS's for the last two years and about 34k miles. I have rotated them every 8-10k miles, kept pressure even and checked it often, kept the truck in alignment and all that jazz. They have worn a lot faster than I would like and currently have about 4-5/32nds left on all four. I'm very worried that there isn't enough meat left on them to get me through the winter. Am I over-thinking this? Is that amount of tread still safe for snow driving? Beyond that, no matter what I do, they've become very loud. One or both of the front tires has a very annoying wobbling noise that hasn't gone away even after a rebalance. There is a 6-year/45k mile warranty on the tires, BUT I would have to replace these with another set of General tires. I'm not about to do that.

My tire shop has always been very good to me, so I'm sure they'll work something out. I'm looking for some recommendations before I talk to them, though. I do all easy miles on two-lane roads and highways - just your basic commuting. I never go off road, so I have no need for A/T tires. My main concern with tires is their noise level, their longevity and their price. Any decent set of all-seasons will perform well enough in snow and other forms of inclement weather, so I'm ok with that. I'm not about to drop $160+ per tire, but I don't want to get the cheapest ones out there, either. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just replaced the original Michelin's at 69,000. Went with the same tire. A little more expensive but if I can get 69,000 on them I'll be saving in the long run.

#3 ·
I met a gentleman today at Sam's with a 2006 RL who said that his original tires lasted into the 80 thousand mile range. That's pretty impressive to me.

#4 ·
I bought my truck with 75k miles on it. It had the original Michelins on it as well. The original owner was from Florida and drove a lot of highway miles on the nice roads down there. All the tires still had about 6/32nds left on them when I bought it. I drove it for another 14k miles with those on it before I replaced them two autumns ago. The roads around here in western PA/northern WV aren't NEARLY as smooth and nice as they are in Florida, but you should still be able to get more than 33k miles out of a set of tires. As I said in my original post, I'm not going to spend a pile of money on tires, so the stock Michelins are out. I think they're a little overrated anyways. I would like to keep it in the $120-140 range.

#5 · (Edited)
I guess you have to decide what's important to you. Seems most folks are getting superior wear out of the Michelin tires. I would suggest the at2 or the m/s or oversize m/s2 tires, but they are not in your price range. How about those Cooper Discoverer 3 tires? Do they meet your criteria?

#9 ·
How about those Cooper Discoverer 3 tires? Do they meet your criteria?
Here's my experience: The previous owner and I got around 137k miles on the stock Michelins and Cooper Discoverers combined. The Coopers still had 4-5/32nds left on them when I replaced them with General Grabbers because I didn't feel like they had any wet traction left. The tires squeeled and 4wd would kick in everytime I made a left turn from a stop.

#6 ·
I just had a set of Yokohama Geolandar HT-S in (OEM) size 245/65-17 installed on my RT. This is my first set of Yokos, but after 1K miles (many in wet conditions) I'm very impressed! Very quiet on the highway and excellent handling characteristics for less than the usual fare of Michelin, Goodyear, etc.

#7 ·
I love my Toyo's for the price and I will NEVER buy Michelins again, as all it did was empty my wallet, and they didn't get long life! :act047:

#8 ·
Just bought a set of Kumho Road Venture KL61's, have about 1000 miles on them so far, and have been happy with them. More of an agressive tread than the stock Michelins, are a snow-rated tire (has the snowflake symbol, so they are rated better in snow than the LTX MS), but are as quiet as the LTX M/S's on dry pavement, are a 60,000 mile tire, and run about $45-$55 per tire cheaper than the Michelins. Got them shipped, mounted, and balanced for $165 per tire.

#10 ·
I am a HUGE fan of the Michelin LTX tire. That is what I would recommend. This is what came factory on my 08Ridge and I am still running them. I currently have 153K miles on the original tires. I bought a new set exactly like them and they will be put on before winter. Any time you can get over 100K, I feel like they must be good, but to get over 150K...These Michelins are absouletly amazing. I rotated once near 55K and again at 114K and they have never been re-balanced. I know I sound like a Michelin salesman, but I will never own any other brand again!!

#12 ·
153k on the original tires? How is that possible? Do you just drive on grass? ;)

#11 ·
I've seen the Cooper, the Yoko's and the Kumho's. They seem like a good option. I've also been looking at the Hankooks since there is a nice little factory rebate going on through DTD right now.

#13 ·
I would believe it, in the right conditions and using them until they have 1/32 or less, I think it is possible.

Many times when you go to a tire shop the wear thread they give is 1 or 2/32 less than it is just to make buy new tires

#14 · (Edited)
Hold up on the Hankook consideration . . . I'm actually searching for input on new tires, similar price range and came across this post.
I got my '07 RL with 35k (lease return) The dealer put a new set of Dynapro HP RA23 tires on it. I'm 54k mile in, so decent mileage, but I hate these tires (I think I’m at 4/32” depth). They are a bit loud, but the winter traction (and rain) is absolutely lousy.

Somewhere on this site I remember posting about traction. I'm not new to AWD or 4WD but I'm new to the Ridgeline (well back in Dec'09). My past winters in this truck have not been fun. I live in upstate NY, last winter was light but the winter prior was tough. My RL struggled for traction from time that seemed way too often. Going into typical turns at any speed had to be taken slooowww otherwise the VSA & ABS went crazy.

For comparison my dad picked up a 2012 Ridge last winter. I took him out in mine during a light snow storm and then we went out in his (oem tires). It was like night and day. My truck slid where his drove as if it were on rails.
I did look into it as much as I could and everything pointed back to the tires. They are fine for dry weather but any amount of snow, I really try and take it easy.

I’m leaning towards Yoko Geo’s or Cooper Discovery H/T.

Breifly back to the Dynapro’s, check out reviews on Tirerack. Pretty much on the money.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ear=2007&autoModel=Ridgeline RTX&autoModClar=

So there’s my .02

#15 ·
Solid advice. I'm still on the fence about all of this. I just don't know if 4-5/32nds is enough for winter driving, but I don't want to go drop a bunch of cash if I don't have to. Another thing I have to keep in mind - I'll be moving in the spring. Right now, I drive about 25 miles one way to work right now. Here in western PA, they are all about using tar and chip as a road surface. Most of my commute is on this type of road, and it's very hard on tires as can be seen by the low mileage I've gotten out of my current set. When I move, I'll be three miles from my office and on nicely asphalted roads. If I buy new tires right now, I'll probably burn through 3/32nds of tread in the 5-6 months of my current commute. If I hold off, I can start with fresh tires on better roads. I'm still thinking of just going ahead with it. I didn't get much chance today to look at the options, so keep the suggestions coming!

#16 ·
Ian: Another thing to consider would be to go ahead and buy the tires online if you find a good deal since you are definitely going to replace them within the next 6 months. Keep them in your garage and keep driving the Generals until the first real snow fall. If you're not happy with their snow performance, then you should be able to get a same-day appointment to put on the new tires.

#18 ·
That's actually a really good idea. My tire shop is open 6 days a week and takes first come-first served. Just gotta figure out which of the several dozen options to get now.

#17 ·
I have a correction

I actually have the Dynapro AS not the HP's as I noted. However they appear to have similar reviews/surveys.

I was thinking of Goodyear Fortera HL also but they seem to have lukewarm reviews too.

I may take Parsec's tip if I go with the Yoko's. there seems not to be a Yokohama dealer near me, so it would be a online purchase for them.

#21 ·
It does not surprise me to see that with Michelins, even with the pic not being so clear I can tell It had cracks in between the threads, typical of the Mi MS tires. First time I replaced mine under warranty, they had almost 80K miles and had 7/32's more or less, over 120K miles on those it is not a surprise, in some cases they outlast the car's life but maybe not a Ridgeline :act035:

You get what you pay for, to me. It is better to have a tire that will last just because the mounting and balancing can cost near or over $100.00 each time you get a new set. It saves time. just like getting cheap brake pads and having to change them more often.

#22 ·
It must be the driving environment. When I replaced my OEM tires at 37k (due to tire damage), I only had about 7/32 remaining... or about 9k miles per 1/32. That pic shows well worn tires, but I'd guess with about 3 or 4/32 remaining. That would be a wear rate of around 21k miles per 1/32. Incredible.

#23 ·
I got 85k out of mine and they easily had 4-5/32 left. I put the MS2's on and love them. I would never put anything but a Michelin on any of my cars/truck/bikes.

#28 ·
I would never put anything but a Michelin on any of my cars/truck/bikes.
You sir, are a victim of great advertising! :act035:

Honestly, has anyone ever heard of any other brands other than Michelins that have the dry rot or cracking issues??????

#26 ·
I believe you, Beth. As you said, what do you have to gain from lying about that? You should be proud that you got THAT many miles out of any set of tires. The dry rot and cracking on them do look to be pretty bad, though. I would certainly replace them before they become dangerous. I appreciate your recommendation, too. When I bought my truck used with 75k miles, it had the stock Michelins on it. I ran them down to 2/32nds and replaced them at 90k miles. They, too, were pretty badly cracked and dry rotted. By the way, holy crap do you drive a lot! I know it's not as much as chisoxjim (over 300k miles on an 06), but still...

#27 ·
Has anyone tried Nexen tires - the ones for the 18" RTL rims are $138 each installed and balanced at Tire Tracks in NWA ( we have few choice outside of Walmart and Car Dealers ). My Michelin set of tires are still over 6/32 but my wife's set (17 inch on her Trailblazer) are at 4/32 and are now 5 years old and are showing signs of dry rot and cracking.

#37 ·
wow, good deal I got some nexens for one our small cars, not sure how they are for trucks, just know they are a PITA to mount them.

Tires tires tires, just look at how much rubber you see in bicycle tire, and a good set still cost over $90.00 or $45.00 each Not fair.

#29 ·
Looks like there must be a lot of us "victims" around here. ;)

#30 ·
You know, I keep looking at the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51's on Tirerack for $121 each. They get decent reviews and look pretty good. I have no doubts my local tire guy could probably get them and mount/balance them for about $140 each. I just don't know a thing about Kumho tires, though. My wife has a set of Hankooks on her Accord that have about 30k miles on them and they STILL look brand new.

#33 ·
I have had good luck in the past with Hankooks. I had a set on a 98 civic and theye wore very even. I only put about 20K on them and sold the car, but they wore nice up to that point. I also have a set of 10ply Hankooks on a 1 ton van at work and have been very pleased. I dont think they are an extremely high mileage tire...but if you are the type to be concered with Michelins dry rot issue, I think Hankook would be a good option. I have never known anyone with the Kumho, so I cant help there.

#31 ·
Different vehicle... I don't know that would project accurately onto the RL.

I had a 1995 Accord V6 that would eat up Michelin tires inside of 30k miles. I mean right down to where the cords were showing.

#32 ·
Very true. Man, this is frustrating.

#36 ·
I know cdepuydt just got a set of the KL61's that he's pretty satisfied with, but those are an on/off road all terrain. The KL51's are the highway all season. I'm leaning towards these guys right now. It all depends on what my tire shop can get them for and if I decide to pull the trigger before snow flies.

#38 ·
I drive an average of 100 miles per day, every day of the year. Have been doing that the last 15 years and driving more miles per day the 15 years before that. You could say that I've gone "through" a lot of tires.

One of the biggest factors for me is WHO I buy my tires from. I have someone who will work with me and for me if I have any issues. Tires are NOT something I buy on the internet. I buy a lot of stuff on the net, just not tires.

At one point years ago I bought a new set of tires every winter. 'Did that for many years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.