Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Whine from engine

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rickman 
#1 ·
I have 128K miles on my 06 RTL, and it recently started making a noise in the engine, especially at low speeds. I'd call it a medium/high pitch whine. When I turn, it gets louder and higher. The serpentine belt looks intact but it seems to be coming from that area. Ideas?

#3 ·
Absolutely, 100% it's your power steering fluid. Happened to me last year. If it's been a really long time since you've changed it, or have never changed it at all, you'll need to do a full flush. If you're a DIY'er, it's pretty easy. Takes almost three bottles of Honda PS fluid to do it. If not, it can be done at a dealership for $100-150 or so. It's also a good idea to replace the PS reservoir. There is a filter screen inside of it that can get gunked up. It's possible to clean it, but it's only about $20 to replace.

#11 ·
If you just replace the fluid and the reservoir, you will see a dramatic improvement. From there, if you suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster every 10-15k miles and fill with fresh fluid, you should never have another issue. There was a thread on here about a TSB concerning a rubber o-ring on the end of the PS fluid feed tube. If there was whining going on, replacing this o-ring would solve it. Don't know if that would be an issue as well for you, but you should certainly start with the fluid and reservoir replacement.

#6 ·
I suggest the next time you drive the truck, make sure all the doors are locked.
Make sure to only unlock your door. Quickly enter vehicle, locking doors immediately after seated. Fasten your seat belt and be on your way!
Whining stopped, right? :D

#7 ·
Ejector seat accessory works well too

#14 ·
The most difficult part of changing the PS fluid is figuring out how to get the reservoir out of where it's mounted... Assuming you intend to change out the reservoir (~$20).

I posted a thread on it here with the FSM procedure and some pics of my process using a Mityvac. It has to be one of the easiest fluid changes on the RL.

I think it's best to elevate the front of the truck so you can crank the wheel without stressing the steering components.

#13 ·
I wasn't able to locate the thread with the instructions from the service manual. If you PM speedlever, I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting them for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.