Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

anyone have a pioneer avh-3300bt or lock pick bar cam back up camera?

9K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  rollinhonda 
#1 ·
I'm gonna upgrade my factory non nav unit with a pioneer 3300bt in december or january.

Just wondering if any ridge owners have one and would like to comment on their dislikes and likes about it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32843_Pioneer-AVH-P3300BT.html

I'm planning on getting this aftermarket back up camera from lock pick @ sonic electronix .com

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23614_Lock-Pick-Bar-Cam-221.html

I'm open to other head unit suggestions if you guys have them.

I don't need the 3300 becuase I don't have to have the bluetooth. I could get the 2300, but I decided I'm gonna treat myself.

I plan on going with pioneer, becuase I have had very good results with their products in past vehicles, and in my boat.

I have a stand alone gps, so I don't need navigation. and I haven't heard great things about pioneers gps, and I don't wanna spend 60 bucks for map updates every year or two.

I really want usb and a sd card slot on the front, for quick music changes. being able to put music on dvd's is a plus

I don't have an iphone, I'm an android user, so I know that there won't be many if any head units that it will sink up with.

Also don't really need to be able to play music via my phone through bluetooth.

Will be able to put in headrest monitors, or a flip down monitor for kids( when the wife and I decide we're ready) in the future.

I gotta have back up camera input. It'll make hooking up the boat next summer much easier.

So this unit fits my needs pretty good.

what do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the Pioneer 3200bt installed in mine, I love it, but I didn't go with Nav, HD radio or satellite radio. I went with mine because I've always had good fortune with Pioneer and I needed the Blue tooth, but the best feature IMO is the SD card slot. I put all my music on a SD card so I never have to look for a station or listen to commercials.
The back up cam seems like a good idea, I never really considered it before.

#5 ·
I have that deck and love it!! Also I agree with the Pioneer name and reputation, I've always had good luck with them. I have a phone cradle so I can play my EVO4g through the front A/V port and use the usb to charge. I had to buy the Ipod cord so I could use my itouch but not a big issue.

#7 ·
I have had the 3200BT installed for about a year now. i also installed a back up camera. I don't know the exact model, but it was something like this,

I have not had any issues with it. The blue tooth works like it should. I mounted the mic just above my steering wheel. I have a SD card with around 3gb of music on it. I also did the relay trick so I can watch video while driving.

The only thing I'm not completely happy with is navigating through songs on the SD card with my steering wheel controls. There's a couple different way to configure the chanel up/down when using the PAX steering wheel control adapter. I have it set up for going through pre-sets on the radio. When I try to go to another song on the SD card, it goes to the next folder instead of the next song. Its not a big deal, just something I noticed.

#9 ·
I had mine professionally installed, the dash kit makes it look like it is from the factory and I did upgrade all the speakers. If your going to install it yourself, you can probably get the dash kit from Crutchfield or a stereo store. I never listened to it with the stock speakers so I can't say how big of a difference it made, but from what I've read in other threads most lean towards replacing them.

#10 ·
After some more research I'm gonna stick with the 3300bt unit, but go with the pioneer universal back up camera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030RZBIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I found this camera review/buying guide online on ebay. And decided to spring for the pioneer camera since it is waterproof, is a ccd camera, and is a high quality camera.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choose-Vehicle-Rear-View-Backup-Video-Camera_W0QQugidZ10000000000037397

I found out that that by going with the pioneer version, the back up camera will turn on automatically with putting the ridge in reverse. But, I will be able to switch to the back up camera while driving, by hitting the back up camera button on the head unit.

This is accomplished by the wiring. The pioneer camera will have constant power(when the vehicle is on), and the head unit recieves a signal from your reverse lights to switch to back up camera mode.

since there will be constant power to the camera, you can switch to rear view mode anytime while driving. This is an important feature for me. I would like to be able to check whatever I'm towing while driving.

This is not the case with other aftermarket camera's that only recieve power from the reverse light circuit.

Also I have not read great reviews on the other aftermarket cameras. specifically, some reviews on the pioneer unit were going with it after having a boyo camera fail after a year.

I will make sure to take pics of my install when I upgrade(won't be till dec or jan though)

#12 ·
If you order from crutchfield.com or sonicelectronix.com they give you all the install stuff for free.

sonic is usually the cheapest

crutchfield has great tech support over the phone or via email(great if you haven't done many audio video vehicle installs)

I found out that amazon is an authorized retailer for pioneer, so you get the total manufacturers warranty. (sonic is not)(and according to pioneers website crutchfield isn't either)

So unless sonic really puts there stuff on sale, I will prob end up buying from amazon. I'm a bit hesitant to buy expensive car audio stuff off of ebay. (even though I found stuff on there for much cheaper)

#13 ·
So I've been keeping up with prices on the pioneer 3300bt online, but thought I'd call the local stereo shop that is an authorized pioneer dealer to see how much they charge. Turns out the local dealer is the cheapest. But, he doesn't have any more in stock, and pioneer told him he won't be getting any more. The stereo shop told me that the new pioneer units will be out by the end of the month!

So I'm gonna wait on the new model to come out. I really hope that pioneer will have android phone integration, but i'll just have to wait and see.

Pioneer did release a upgraded rear view camera too

#14 ·
I, too, have been looking at the 3300BT for my upgrade happening in March or so. I'm still tossing around the idea of getting the x930BT for the navigation. I have a Garmin 255, but it had "somehow" found its way into living in my wife's car. I rarely see it. I know I could get another one for about $150, but I'd rather have the navigation built-in for an extra $200 or so.

I will also be getting a back-up camera, but there's no way in heck that I'd pay $200 for it. What I'll be doing is getting an inexpensive one to start out. This one to be exact. It's got very good reviews and it's supposed to be waterproof. Even if it kicks the bucket early, I can buy another one for less than $20. I understand you get what you pay for, but the backup camera for me is really a convenience. The HU is the big ticket item, so that's why I'm NOT going to skimp on that.

#15 ·
The new pioneer cameras are 160 on amazon. I prefer the way it is wired up to the head unit rather than tapping into the reverse lights for power. That way you can switch to camera mode while driving.

The new pioneer units will be out by the end of the month, so wait and see what new stuff comes out. And if you don't want the newer models, the older ones should drop in price

#17 ·
There are certainly benefits to the Pioneer camera. I like the idea of being able to switch it on when driving. Luckily, I'll be buying these things likely in early March when all the new models of everything come out. Then again, I also like the near "disposable" nature of a highly-rated $17 backup cam. True, it may take some hard wiring into the brake lights, but it's also an easy and inexpensive swap if it goes bad. I also might not like the $17 cam, but it's worth a shot before I drop nearly ten times that price on the Pioneer cam.

#16 ·
I had a lock-pic I resold on ebay early last year. I picked up a Boyo CCD instead, Much better cam for not that much more money.

#19 ·
I'm gonna mount it so it is at the top center of my license plate. I'll prob bolt it to my license plate since I don't wanna drill holes in my truck, or use the double sided tape that comes with it. Someone here on the roc has a pioneer camera mounted like that, can't remember who.

#20 · (Edited)
I have the exact same pioneer camera and was able to install it with a handle I bought from an online Honda store (which I am having problems finding a link for you as i forget the name of the store.) I will keep trying and hope to post shortly but here's a pic of my setup.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
#23 ·
I don't think its possible to install a new model tailgate handle with a camera in conjunction with a pop n lock tailgate lock. It seems pop n lock was desinging a lock to work with the models with a camera in the tailgate handle, but never came through with it. People with the tailgate handle camera have used the electronic lock by dynolock, or the diy with an electronic lock actuator.

I am planning on getting the perrragon tonneau cover in the future and a pop n lock tailgate lock, which is why i'm gonna install a pioneer camera over the license plate. I personally won't need to lock my cargo all the time so I can't justify the expense and time of installing the dynolock.

I will however use my back up camera everyday, and want it to last years. That's how I justify spending 160 on one.

#24 ·
To me, $160 sounds high for any cam, but $20 dirt cheap for the ROC version of the Dynolock. But whatever works!

#25 ·
Pioneer has announced their new head units. The specs are only on their website. I called my local stereo shop that is an authorized pioneer dealer, and they should start receiving some of the new models next week, and all of them by february. And it turns out they have the best prices on pioneer head units. They did not have the best price on dash kits, wiring harness, and back up camera. So I got all the stuff I needed from amazon for installation. Just gotta wait for the new head unit to arrive at my local stereo shop and it'll be install time!!

The new dvd head units have some cool features like bluetooth audio streaming and built in hd radio tuners. They lost the sd card slot. And sadly, for you audiophile's the rca preouts went from 4v to 2v. But overall the prices have dropped.

#26 ·
I noticed yesterday that Pioneer released them on their website. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited to get one. I'll be buying sometime in March and I hope they're on Amazon by then since they are an authorized dealer and the prices are typically better.

The fact that they have the HD radio built in is very enticing to me. I listen to the radio mostly and have wanted HD radio for awhile. The fact that I won't have to purchase a separate unit to have this feature is great. The SD card slot loss is to be expected. You get the same functionality from the USB slot. You're just using a memory stick as opposed to a card. The RCA outs on the 3400BH are 2V, but the 4400BH's are 4V. Not to mention the 4400BH finally has a 7" touchscreen - hence why it's over $100 more expensive, but worth it IMO.

#27 ·
I too was planning on getting my head unit from amazon. But they are no longer listed as an authorized dealer on pioneers website. My guess is pioneer canceled the contract, since amazon sells stuff from third parties, and pioneer cannot guarantee the quality.

Find out who your local authorized pioneer seller is. The one by me was selling the 3300bt for 349. Which is the cheapest I found. They said the newer version will sell for less than that.

#28 ·
Oh man, that's unfortunate. I'll have to check into my local shops. I think the 4400BH is the way to go simply for the larger screen and 4V pre-outs. I'm not sure if it has any other distinguishing features, but I'd pay a little more for it. The 3400BH is certainly no slouch, either, though.

#29 ·
I personally don't want a motorized face head unit, cause its just another thing to break. Plus I really want usb and aux input on the front face. But to each his own.

Look on pioneers site for the where to buy button, and search the local dealers by you. I was quite suprised that the one by me is the cheapest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.