Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

how I can reset TPMS?

90K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  ken grega 
#1 ·
well, what happend was, last saturday, it was bit cold in here, Michigan, (around mid 20's when I start up my ridgeline) and the TPMS'light was up.
I thought, I need to put some air, and I did put some.
it was 2psi lower than it supposed to be, but light did not go off.

I thought, maybe the TPMS is dead... and took to the dealer this morning... and what they told me, because of severe weather, the TPMS hanged up, and all it need is RESET. Actually, that guy did that less than 3 min...
Later, I thought, this winter is just started, if same thing happened, I want to do that by myself.
but I checked the owner manual, I do not see how to reset it.
does anyone know how I can do it? if I require the tool, I guess, I just bring the car every time but.. if I just can do by myself, I want to do it.

-R

#3 ·
well, I thought I did not put enough and actually checked couple of times when I put the air.
But I did put 32PSI and , actually at that time, I found out that, the back, left side tire pressure was 29PSI. I did not put any air for that one, I thought that that tire status get displayed on the monitor but it did not.
Acutally, that is why I guessed that TPMS is dead and took the ridgeline to the shop.

#5 ·
yeah, I actually used one, I own and also the other one at the gas station.
I was not sure if mine is OK or not..
so as far as I see your comment, that TPMS is really hanged up or something..
maybe that dealer guy just took the battery cable out?? I should have seen what he did..

#7 ·
I have found that the pencil style tire gauges are very inaccurate. I had one that was off by 7 psi to the low side and another that was 5 psi off on the high side. I have a $12 digital guage that I purchased at KMart that has been reliable for the last couple of years. Gas station gauges that are attached to the hose should not be trusted either. A lot of people throw or drop the end of the hose after they are done with it which does not add to it's accuracy. :eek:

#6 ·
I've had intermittent TPMS issues, but it is ALWAYS associated with cold weather changes. If you get in during cold weather, and TPMS comes on, check pressure on ALL tires. It also PAYS in FOLDS to invest in a portable air compressor to fill up in case the pressure is to low. It may take time during the day to clear (as it hopefully warms up), but keep an eye on the air pressure during the day to make sure you don't have a LEAK.

If the problem persists, take your truck to any good tire shop ASAP. Have them check the tires for any nails, etc, to ensure you can safely operate on the road without the risk of an even worse blowout. If you are close enough, take your truck into your original dealership.

What I'd LOVE to do is to reprogram the TPMS system as to the trigger point on PSI. I'd set it for 28 PSI overall, and at a different loss rate.

#10 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks for your comment, guys,

yes, I was using the pencile one..
I will get something better, maybe that digital one.

I actually did not see what that Honda engineer did, only know, it was very short time to fix the issue.

anyway, it will be cold winter for couple of month... I will see how this TPMS will act this winter...
it is first time to have this kind of gudget... so.. I was bit nervous.

-R

#13 ·
The TPMS system will trigger two different warning lights. The orange light that looks like a cross section of a tire - (!) - sort of and the orange "TPMS" letters. The tire one is only an indication of a tire with low pressure and does not normally require a trip to the dealer. Just fill all the tires to the proper inflation pressure and drive the truck. Sometimes it takes a minute or so of driving for the light to go back out. If however the "TPMS" light is on, the system has detected a fault and needs to be checked by the dealer.

As for the OP - the dealer tech probably just hooked up the HDS scan tool and reset the light in the tpms control unit. There is no way you could do this on your own. Removing the battery cable for a period of an hour might do it, but then everything else would be reset as well.

HT

#15 ·
The Honda TPMS = BAD! It's really that simple! My TPMS indicator stays on all the time no matter what.

Stupid me thought "Who cares about an idiot light anyway?":act064:
Well you better care about that one if you have any inclination of using 4WD.

I found out the very hard way that when the TPMS is indicating, it is not possible to disengage the VSA, thereby making 4WD non-existant. God forbid that you'd be in some mud like I was.:act018:

I'm told you can remove the VSA fuse and then it disengages. That's real convenient!

The dealer wants $159.00 merely to troubleshoot it! Over my dead body! (That will probably be a reality if I don't fix it.):act051:

I'm a stubborn ass. I'm either going to find a cheap fix and way to disable that useless system altogether, or I'm going to turn the POS in when it comes off lease in a few months.:act027:

I love everything else about the rig, but I swear that TPMS thing could be a deal breaker next time if I can't figure out how to override it.

I've got some wire cutters, a soldering iron, a voltage meter, a penchant for exploration, a leased vehicle I don't give a rat's ass about, and a bad attitude! That's more than Edison had to work with and he got us the light bulb. Wish me luck!:act035:

#16 ·
In an effort to preserve my factory wheels, I bought a set of winter tires mounted on aluminum wheels (no steel wheels available) with new TPMS sensors installed. My TPMS light came on anyway. Why? Because Honda claims the system needs to be reset at the DEALER. Cost? $89.00. And when I swap my winter wheels for summer wheels next month--another $89.00? I don't think so. I'm living with a little yellow light on my dashboard and manually checking my tire pressure. $200 a year to reset a TPMS light makes no sense. Interestingly, my 2008 Acura TL resets automatically. Anyone out there got a low-cost remedy? If not, I recommend saving yourself $120 or more on sensors for your winter wheels and leaving the light on. The only side-effect is you won't be able to turn off the vehicle stability assist system.

#17 ·
All 2006-2011 Ridgelines models automatically install a new TPMS wheel module if it is the right model TPMS for that vehicle.

There are different model TPMS units for different years, you have to buy the correct one for the year you own and the wheel type you want to install them on.

2006-2008 use one type

2009-2011 use a different type

you cannot swap types, the TPMS signal are different.

We would not need the TPMS system if drivers did normal checks every fill up. In the 1950's and 1960's they had gas station attendants that checked the air pressure on all 4 tires and added air if they were low. After all the stations went self-service, most drivers still did the tire check. Now a days, not very many check - it is estimated that only 1 in 10,000 do.

The number one preventable accident is tire blowout and 95% were caused by low tire pressure, since the technology was added to jets in the 1960's, and most aircraft in the 1980's, in 2003 congress mandated that technology on every new car and truck and gave them 5 years to do so. 2 years ago they also mandated all new vehicles to have VSA technology.

It is too bad that most people do not have enough brains to add air when the light comes on and/or to check for nails in the tire that has a light (number 1 reason for one light). I like the system as the light has come on after I have driven over a nail and again over a screw that was leaking air. I would have had a flat tire both times, but I was able to drive to a tire store and get the problems fixed.

#19 ·
a NEW Tool that resets the TPMS with a simple wave past the tire.
Stormtrooper: Let me see your identification.
Obi-Wan: [with a small wave of his hand] You don't need to see his identification.
Stormtrooper: We don't need to see his identification.
Obi-Wan: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Stormtrooper: These aren't the droids we're looking for.
Obi-Wan: He can go about his business.
Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Wan: Move along.
Stormtrooper: Move along... move along. and waalah! the TPMS is reset!!:act060:

#20 ·
well, what happend was, last saturday, it was bit cold in here, Michigan, (around mid 20's when I start up my ridgeline) and the TPMS'light was up.
I thought, I need to put some air, and I did put some.
it was 2psi lower than it supposed to be, but light did not go off.

I thought, maybe the TPMS is dead... and took to the dealer this morning... and what they told me, because of severe weather, the TPMS hanged up, and all it need is RESET. Actually, that guy did that less than 3 min...
Later, I thought, this winter is just started, if same thing happened, I want to do that by myself.
but I checked the owner manual, I do not see how to reset it.
does anyone know how I can do it? if I require the tool, I guess, I just bring the car every time but.. if I just can do by myself, I want to do it.

-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.