Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Transmission expert, Did I damage anything?....

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  06RTLNAVBlue 
#1 ·
Yes what I did was stupid, but first the Disclaimer: I was on vacation in N.C. (Not used to the hills, I live in Florida....FLAT!!!) multi-tasking, talking to wife in truck :eek: , mother on cell phone and trying to gain better phone reception as I drove.
I drove up quite a steep (maybe close to 45 degree slope) entrance to a parking lot while in drive (only "D", not VTM engaged, etc). I stopped by putting my foot on the brake and left it in "D". I then released the brake and began to go backwards down the hill (still in "D" but thinking I had put it in reverse, I did not give it any gas). I went approx. 10-30 feet backwards (until I heard and kinda felt 2-3 "clunking noises" (probably the transmission ). This is when I hit the brake and realized that I was still in "Drive". ;)

If you understand/know the Ridgeline transmission, do you think I did any damage? (I have not had any "symptoms" of any damage since I did this (800 miles)
Is it normal for the transmission to allow rolling backwards/downhill while in drive?
Would any automatic roll backwards down a steep hill like this while in drive? (only 3 of my 22 years of driving have been automatics)
Has anyone else experienced this?
I guess it might be a good ideal to change my tran. fluid early? Should I have the fluid analyzed???
Should I just have another cocktail and forget about it? :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't sweat it. I went to school in WV (hold the jokes, please), where there are some pretty steep hills in the Appalachians, and all Auto tranny cars will roll back on those big inclines. The AT is a hydraulic device which uses the hydraulic pressure to engage clutch packs to transfer torque. Since you were just coasting, there was not much pressure, and the clutches could not engage. If they engaged, it was oviously only very slight, as you continued to roll back, and not skid. The worst thing you could have done was to warm up the clutches a bit. If you are really paranoid, flush the tranny with fresh fluid earlier than the recommended maintainence interval.

By the way, even in WV, the steepest on-road incline I ever saw was only 17 degrees (30%). It's amazing that 17 degrees appears as steep as it does. It seemed like it must be 45 degrees. 45 degree inclines are climbable by hard-core off-road & military vehicles only.

Cheers,
Jeffro

#3 ·
The torque converter is the part that allows slippage between the engine and the transmission. That is why you can be in drive at a stoplight. (and less stress than shifting into neutral, BTW). Think of it as two fans pointed at each other. When one is turned on it causes the other to spin.

Rolling backwards in drive (or any forward gear) would cause the tranmission side of the torque converter to spin backwards.

This would increase the speed differential between the engine side of the converter and the tranmission side.Like reving the engine with your foot on the brake. Since you were going slow have a beer and forget about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.