Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Puzzeled? Why not have a Manaul Transmission!

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Long Gone 
#1 ·
I'm puzzelled.... why not offer a manual transmission on the Ridge. I happen to like shifting my vehicle when I want...not when it wants. I have driven both for many years and prefer the stick over auto. Better gas mileage, more control on incline/decline of hills or mountains.

I have owned (and still do own) other Honda cars with sticks. I would think the cost of producing a manual trans is far less expensive than an automatic trans. Besides, which came first the chicken or the egg?

The only problem I see with having a stick is that second generation baby boomer's don't know how to drive a manual transmission (too much of a hassle for them while they're on the phone :eek: ).

If you have input...please share...I've check for a thread about manual trans and nothing pop up. So I figure I'll start something.

#2 ·
I would think emissions is one factor. Logistically, it would be an interesting design exercise as the center console is huge and the seats are pretty high off of the floor. I would think that the console would have to be significantly scaled back.

#6 ·
This is my first AUTO trans car. I miss it, but not enough to REALLY want it back, at least not just yet First day it had it - Sitting at the light - let off the brake and nearly hit the guy in front of me. Had to explain to my girlfriend that I don' know how to drive automatic ! :D - what kinda car goes by itself !?!? Probable have less than 5 hrs seat time ever in an auto. Also, if im not mistaken, automatics generally have the same or even BETTER MPG than manuals do - this is somthing new i noticed. Bizaree to me but... thats what the sticker said :confused:

#8 ·
I think there are probably many reasons why the Ridgeline comes in automatic only. I will offer my thoughts on why.

Honda did a lot of research into how do most (the majority) people use a truck. In their research they may have found that most potential owners in their target demographic would prefer an automatic. The comment earlier about cell phones is unfortunately true. Now a days we have too many other things to distract our primary responsibility, which is driving. I know I am guilty of it. It is not only cell phones, but drinks, food, written directions, etc. How many of us drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding something other than a stick shift. (clean minds only ;) )

I also think that Honda wanted to produce the best truck on the market for the lowest expense. That is done by reducing the number of options, i.e. changes. There is a story about a hedgehog and a fox. The fox is sly and cunning and tries multiple ways to get the hedgehog. The hedgehog only curls up in a ball. The moral is, do one thing, but do it better than anyone else. In a sense this may be what Honda was thinking. Let's only produce automatics, but make sure they are great automatics. The Ridgeline is one of the smoothest, if not the smoothest automatic I have driven or riden in. Also from a cost standpoint, there is only one way to construct the transmission and all features associated with it. Same thing for the dash. The navigation system fits easily into the space of the radio and extra storage. Only one dash layout to construct.

Someone pointed out that the automatic gets cleaner emmissions. I think this is true because the computer picks when to shift to get the best horsepower/torque for the best fuel economy, i.e. the most bang for the buck. I mean that figuratively and literally. ;)

I also think that the growing trend is going to be towards automatics. I think hybrids will become a bigger segement of the market and will start to push the manuals out. There will always be a segment that needs/wants manuals and there will always be someone to produce manuals.

I am sure that in Honda's market research they found other reasons, but these are just my thoughts.

#9 ·
Other possible reasons:
Does Honda have a manual transaxle for any of the 3.5L engine applications? It would not be economically feasible to design one just for the Ridgeline.
Maybe their market research revealed the percentage of buyers wanting a manual transmission was too low to justify one.
Where would you put the shift lever?

#10 ·
I read an article recently that said that less than 5% all cars produced are manual transmissions. Generally speaking, most people don't want manual transmissions (our Accord is a stick), except maybe in a sports car.

#12 ·
5S Dude said:
Driving in SoCal grid lock everyday, I don't miss my five speed what so ever. I get to work with no stress and relaxed ready to go.:p
Growing up I swore I would never own an automatic. I shift when I'm darn good and ready to I don't need a car changing gears when I'm trying to pass someone on a hill.

But I hadn't been in Portland 6 months when I started shopping around for an automatic. Simply put it made my commute more pleasurable which made my day a bit better.

Do I miss a stick, not really last time I drove one downtown I couldn't help thinking "what a hassle."

#13 ·
If you look at some of the cars today - it is no longer automatically true that manual transmissions are more fuel efficient than automatics. Look at the EPA ratings of the Accord - the 6 spd. EX has a 21/30 while the auto has a 20/29. The new Civic 5 spd. manual has 30/38 rating while the 5 spd. auto is rated for 30/40.

But I think the biggest thing is towing. Almost no truck intended to tow has a manual transmission any more. The clutch in a manual transmission just takes too much abuse - an automatic with its torque converter does much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.