Consumer Reports: Best overall pickup truck - Page 12 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #111
north49thridge
ROC Rank: Freshman
2009 DX
White/Grey

Re: Consumer Reports: Best overall pickup truck

The old school pick up truck die hards are always going to say what they say simply because that is all they know what to say. I've owned no less than half a dozen pick ups with all but one belonging to the mid size class and can honestly say they have served me well but driving a Ridgeline is a whole other matter.

The RL looks like a pick up and basically does what is asked of any other truck on the market but does it in style with its ride and unique look as well as build quality, 5 star safety rating and proven Honda reliability. So as well as being in a class all its own it still jumps into the old boys pick up class and cleans up there as well. Not bad for a truck thats been long considered "Not a truck". Have you ever had the opportunity to stand on a Ridge? Its a great vantage point isn't it? You can see all that is below you and that suits me just fine. Just my opinion but it is what counts to me.

Last edited by north49thridge; 03-07-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: removed cuss words.
north49thridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #112
eurban
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Nice. The one flaw I see in their report is their mpg quote (just citing the city at 15 mpg as if that's an overall mpg expectation). I guess it stood out to me because I just got back from a weekend trip to northern NH (plenty of hills, but moderate highway speeds) where I achieved 22.4 mpg overall and 420 miles on the single tank of gas I used. I've always been satisfied with my Ridgeline(s) fuel economy.
I drive my 06 around the DC beltway and around town and I average right around 15mpg. I have never touched 20 even on almost pure highway stuff. Best as I can tell there is nothing mechanically wrong with my truck and I have never been particularly satisfied with its mileage. From my experience, CU "overall" mileage is pretty much spot on and I doubt that they mistakenly cited city mileage for overall. Honda might have improved the Ridge's mileage some (they might have made the trip computer a bit optimistic too) in the latest models but perhaps CU hasn't rechecked things . . .

Last edited by eurban; 03-08-2014 at 08:30 PM.
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #113
sajack
2014 SE
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Mileage will increase dramatically if you switch from E10 to E0 (no ethanol) premium gasoline, but you will pay for it at the pump. Try it. You'll like it.
Ridgeline is a heavy 4WD vehicle that is geared low (4.53 final drive ratio) although it is overdriven in 4th and 5th gears. It's a tow truck. I will admit that my heavy right footed driving habits change when I switch from my turbo Miata to the Ridgeline. I tend to drive the RL like an old fogey.

2014 Alabaster Silver SE, Black Honda Roof Rack, Black Honda Side Steps, Honda Rear Mud Guards, Honda All-weather Mats, LRV Bed Mat

Last edited by sajack; 03-09-2014 at 04:34 AM.
sajack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #114
boston
ROC Rank: Junior
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurban View Post
I drive my 06 around the DC beltway and around town and I average right around 15mpg. I have never touched 20 even on almost pure highway stuff. Best as I can tell there is nothing mechanically wrong with my truck and I have never been particularly satisfied with its mileage. From my experience, CU "overall" mileage is pretty much spot on and I doubt that they mistakenly cited city mileage for overall. Honda might have improved the Ridge's mileage some (they might have made the trip computer a bit optimistic too) in the latest models but perhaps CU hasn't rechecked things . . .
In CU's notes on the Ridgeline they state the 15 mpg figure without calling it an overall figure (like they did for the Mazda cox-9) or citing the estimated hwy mileage (21) that Honda claims. I've owned three Ridgeline's (an 06, 09, and my current 2013) and unlike your experience, I have rarely achieved less than 18-19 mpg on a tankful even with a substantial mix of city driving and I've always achieved high teens to low 20's with primarily highway driving. I always use E10 fuel and my mileage is slightly better in the summer. When I can I shut the AC compressor and I use cruise control on the highway (set at approximately 68 mph) when it's feasible (but I don't practice any extreme "hypermiling" by any means).

I'm not doubting anybody else's poorer performance. But citing just the 15mpg as the Ridgeline's mileage, unless they really did test it and only achieve 15mpg overall (in which case they should have stated it) seems off base to me. Honestly, if I only achieved 15mpg on average, I'd be VERY disappointed with that (and wouldn't have bought my second and third Ridgeline's).
boston is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #115
eurban

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
In CU's notes on the Ridgeline they state the 15 mpg figure without calling it an overall figure (like they did for the Mazda cox-9) or citing the estimated hwy mileage (21) that Honda claims. I've owned three Ridgeline's (an 06, 09, and my current 2013) and unlike your experience, I have rarely achieved less than 18-19 mpg on a tankful even with a substantial mix of city driving and I've always achieved high teens to low 20's with primarily highway driving. I always use E10 fuel and my mileage is slightly better in the summer. When I can I shut the AC compressor and I use cruise control on the highway (set at approximately 68 mph) when it's feasible (but I don't practice any extreme "hypermiling" by any means).

I'm not doubting anybody else's poorer performance. But citing just the 15mpg as the Ridgeline's mileage, unless they really did test it and only achieve 15mpg overall (in which case they should have stated it) seems off base to me. Honestly, if I only achieved 15mpg on average, I'd be VERY disappointed with that (and wouldn't have bought my second and third Ridgeline's).
Couple of points:
Sajack, buying ethanol free gas in my area isn't really practical. It would be seriously long drive to find it and would cost well over $5 a gallon.

Boston: I am sure that CU actually tested the Ridgeline's mileage when they initially reviewed and probably found that it returned 15mpg overall for what they would consider typical driving. Don't know if they have actually tested one more recently or not . . .I am not doubting your good economy but you must be driving a whole lot less of what I call city, with very few short trips and you must be exercising a significant amount of hypermiling type behaviors to rarely drop below 18. The sense I get from the Ridge community here is that 15mpg overall is pretty average for those who drive in and around large cities (most likely with E10 type gas) That said, my truck is at bit of a disadvantage (stop and go driving in particular) as I do construction for a living and just about always have a few hundred pounds of tools in my trunk / back seat area. On the other hand, I always turn my AC off (unless I actually want to cool my truck), keep my tire pressures proper, perform maintenance regularly and use the proper stuff for it. Tires are stock size and supposedly low rolling resistance type tires (michelin Lattitude tours) When the 100K service is due I may replace all the 02 sensors myself to see if it might help a little (OH and No, the idle learn procedure didn't help)

Basically as I said before, CU's MPG estimate conforms with my own personal experience, not to mention with many of those on this forum. The Ridge is just about the perfect vehicle for my needs but its gas mileage is most definitely a disappointment.
eurban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #116
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Add me to the list of people who get the fuel efficiency that Honda promises, or better. There aren't many tanksful of fuel where I got as little as 15 MPG in routine driving between the suburbs and city (I'm 10 miles from city center). In summer, 18-19 is typical. In winter, 16-18. Once warmed up on the highway, it's 24+ MPG any season, as long as I keep it no more than about 65 MPH.

For the last couple of years, I have been using octane 89, and it pays for itself. I'm on my second tankful of 87 now, just as an experiment. So far, it's getting 16 MPG with 87 at slightly higher average temperatures than the 17 I got with 89, so results are consistent.

BTW, this is all much easier to interpret in metric measurements! I was initially a skeptic about how intuitive it would be to measure by L/100km. However, that measures actual rate of consumption, whereas MPG's are better for measuring range. In the range of common highway speeds, it's dead simple to see that fuel consumption is close to proportional to speed. Want to go 20% faster? That'll cost 20% more fuel.
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #117
northernlights
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTS
Steel Blue / Gray

15 to 17 city, 17 to 21 hwy spring to late fall. I don't check it in the winter its a waist of time and would only piss me off. When you have to warm it up the mileage drops big time, or maybe its the lift .Still getting better then some posting here, in this climate.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #118
Uncle Festus
2012 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Just got back from a week long trip to Denver. 1899 miles, truck computed average was 21.0 and hand calculated was 20.9. Best tank while in Colorado was 23.4 mpg hand calculated, a new record for my RL. Coming back to Texas vicious headwinds all the way spanked my mileage hard. The vast bulk of the driving was on interstates at 75+ mph. I keep the tires at 34 psi cold, on the highway when heated up the sensors report about 37 psi and the truck handles quite well with them.

The RL was exceptional on the drive - had heavy snow in some areas, mixed ice and slush, occasional black ice, it handled all conditions exceptionally well. It is probably the perfect traveling truck... EXCEPT for the seat padding, or more accurately lack thereof. It just beat my hip bones to death. I've got to find some kind of pad that will counter the effects of the bolsters or whatever you call the little side pads that squeeze inwards.
Attached Images

Uncle Festus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #119
rmhpmi
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

I wanted to post some of my thoughts after about two weeks of Ridgeline ownership. This thread seemed to be as good a place as any. Moderators if you disagree please feel free to move the post if you like.

Anyway, I purchased my 2008 Billet Silver RTL from it's original owner with just over 101k on the ODO. I had been looking for a weekend vehicle for about a year and had narrowed my choices to a Ridgeline, Tundra or Tacoma. I have had wonderful service from multiple Japanese vehicles over my 34 years of vehicle ownership experience and just could never get comfortable with the reliability data on any other manufacturer for a vehicle of this type.

We just got back from a weekend trip to our fishing cabin in Ashe County NC. After a few hundred miles of mostly highway, some rural two lane and about 10 miles of dirt/gravel roads, I am pretty much convinced I bought the exact vehicle I needed. The highway ride is totally comfortable for me, the Ridgeline handles the back road twisties better than I expected and the AWD and ruggedness of my silver beauty (warts and all) was more than I needed to safely and comfortably transport us (me, wife, pooch) and all our provisions.

19.5 MPG average as best I can tell, more than enough room for everything (I can't get over how convenient the locking trunk is) and just as comfortable a vehicle as I can ask for. When my wife, who never has given a hoot about a vehicle, tells me multiple times "she really likes this truck" it makes me wish I had been a little more spendy and maybe gotten a newer Ridgeline. Then again, for a vehicle that will likely not be driven more than once or twice a month I think I probably have enough invested (and now I have more to spend for ACCESSORIES).

I definitely wish my Ridgeline had a backup camera and I am seriously thinking about the hitch-installed back up sensor I have seen. Bluetooth would be nice but my cell phone usually stops working about half way to the cabin anyway. All in all, I am very satisfied so far with my decision to join so many other happy Ridgeline owners. Thanks to all who support this forum and have offered wisdom and guidance! Now, let's go Fishin'!!!

Iconic Automotive Factory Style Running Boards/LED Lighting Upgrade/Cheap EBay Vent Shades/5S Dude Cubby Cover/5S Dude customized license plate frame/H&A Rear mud guards
rmhpmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.