Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Rear suspension upgrade???

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Nicholas 
#1 ·
Any rear suspension upgrades available to help carry about 500 pounds on the factory trailer hitch? Haul a Harmer lift and a Hoverround Power Wheel Chair and it does "sag" the Ridgeline a bit and doesn't help handling too much either. Really don't want to raise the original height if possible, just need a bit more strength!!!

#2 ·
Outside of loading the wheelchair into the bed to help distribute the weight or getting a very small trailer, I don't think you have too many options. Have you checked with your local Honda Dealer to see if they have any ideas.

I've got a custom airbagged suspension, but I don't think you want to go that route....it's a lot of money for your needs.

One option you might try (and I have to say this, doing this will probably void any suspension warranty you may have left) is to add air shocks.

Because of my airbag suspension, the rear torsion control bar had to be disconnected. To keep the handling near stock a short pair of shocks were attachted at the lower control arms and the frame, just like on a regular suspension. In my case, the shocks keep the body roll to a minimum, while allowing the airbags to raise and lower without any interuption.

In your case, you could install air shocks in the place of control arm and a small compressor in your trunk that would rasie and lower the shocks. You'dd need some sort of release valve so the shocks would not be under pressure when you're not using it.

Again, I don't know for sure if this would work for your application and I welcome any input from someon with the technical know how.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.