Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Factory Sub

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  BPSeal 
#1 ·
I just bought an 09 rts and it has a factory sub in it. I am planning on putting my pioneer DVD navi deck in...of course I'm having to add an amp to run the factory sub. I have an MTX 202 amp for this. I am also planning on upgrading the factory subwoofer to a better aftermarket unit. I'm not really looking for alot of bass, just quality and decent volume. I read in another post where someone put a polk sub in his and reinforced it, but he never really said how it sounded compared to the factory sub. I do have a brand new Elemental Designs 10" i may put in, whenever i get around to ordering a custom box. I kinda would rather go the factory sub box with aftermarket sub route. Give me some opinions. I might be open for a trade of my ED sub for a decent 8" sub also. I have not even looked at the factory sub box as of yet either.

#2 ·
Assuming the 09 has the same factory sub like prev years, it will not work because it is a plastic vented box and the 8 ich sub is designed to work with the factory one. You are better off removing the entire factory sub and build or buy an sealed box with the same measurements, several have build their own others just buy it from Elemental Designs, I believe it is about $70.00.

#5 ·
your saying your interested in my factory deck? how much is it worth to you? I hate to sell it tho, when i trade the truck in, thats gonna bite me in the rear! LOL. It is the 6 disc mp3 aux input deck. it sounds alot better than my previous 08 RTX stereo.

#6 ·
whats it worth to you? the truck is about a week old (from when it was titled) it was sitting on the lot for a while..some reason ridgelines dont sell to quickly at my work.

#8 ·
Yea i was thinking the plastic factory box may not be stiff enough for an aftermarket sub and more power. Has anyone put an amp on the factory sub? it seems like it would have enough for what i'm looking for , but the factory deck seems to cut bass as you are turning it louder. I was planning on putting my pioneer AVIC-D3 in this weekend, but my tailgate handle with the camera hole was cross shipped from california, so i guess that will be next week. I kinda wanted to do everything at one time. Well I just looked up the sub enclosure to see if i can get the speaker seperate...you cant...and a new unit is $218...so if i blow it i cant sell it...although...I could always warranty it...lol. I guess I'll sell the sub unit if anyone wants it. Make me an offer.

#12 ·
Hey thanks for the direction on box dimensionS...I was going to ask that if i could find that info. Well in my RTX i just traded in (which i kept all my stuff of course) I had a box under the seat with 2 8" JL audio subs with a mtx 202 running them. It sounded good, but took up more than half of my under seat storage. I also have (2) 8" bazookas in there too, but took up all the under seat room. Me and my two sons go camping and atving a bit so I need all the storage room i can get...thats why i'm wanting to settle on one sub behind the rear seat in the factory location.

btw. I'm 33 years old, have three boys...7 months old, 5 years old and 10 years old. The boom boom aspect of car stero is pretty much out the window with me.
Also of notable mention, I was an installer for about 12 years. MECP master installer certified and ASE certified. I have worked at 6 different audio shops in my earlier part of may career.

I think i have decided what I am going to do...you guys kinda persuaded me..lol
1) install my pioneer D3 with backup camera in the tailgate handle , leave the stereo running the door speakers for now (i have a 4 channel phoenix gold amp for later maybe)
2) order a ED custom enclosure for my shallow mount ED 10" sub, run the mtx 202 amp on it and of course the d3 has sub control.
3) sell my factory sub assy to recoup the $$ spend on the ED enclosure.
4) sell the 2 8" jl audio subs and box...maybe an amp to go with it.
5) keep the 2 bazooka 8"....just because...lol
thanks guys for the info you have give and opinions. Keep em coming if you like.
I wonder if an 8" L5 kicker square sub will fit behing the seat...I have one of those too...anyone tried that yet? I havent had a chance yet to do any measuring on this truck yet...

#13 ·
I have 4 12" and 215" kicker L7s with 3 2000 watt kicker amps pushing all of them in my 04 chevy colorado crew cab. That's pretty much burned me on loud systems lol. My set up in my ridgeline is nice. I have the amp turned down, the kenwood head unit sub bass on 0, and didn't bridge my sub so I'm only sending 250 watts to it and it sounds great to me. If I do adjusting it can get loud, but I leave it all turned down for my needs. As far as the 8" L5 I highly doubt it will fit behind the seat. You don't have much room back there at all. I wanted to put my JL 10w3v2 pack there but it was way too big magnet and depth wise. The solo baric kickers have massive magnets and aren't very shallow so that why I'm saying it won't work. Your better off with the shallow ed10 trust me. I don't have any kids and aren't married, I have just grown out of big sound now that I'm 20 going on 21 I'm more into conservative sound and easier listening. I still have my colorado and big system so if I decide I need to blow my ear drums and others I will just take it out to town lol.

#16 ·
Merry Christmas guys,

looking to put in a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT with components in front and coaxes in back and was looking to replace the factory sub. I don't want to take up excess room underneath the back seats so I was wondering what everyone was doing about putting a sub back in the original factory sub position. Is there a link of a company that sells a custom enclosure or do you just suggest putting a sub underneath the seats? Any feedback would be great! thanks!

#17 ·
Here is a link to anything you would want to know regarding putting an aftermarket sub behind the seat: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13308&highlight=sq10+seat

I decided just to put a single 10 under the seat because 1. My sub is too big to fit behind the seat, I tried (JL Audio 10w3v2D4) 2. My box has a lot more air space than the small one you put behind the seat 3. My sub is downfiring and sealed so its a cleaner harder hit than a sealed box behind the seat firing into the seat. So I built my box where it fits right in the middle of the under storage under the back seat. So I still have room for stuff on either side of the box. If I wanted anymore sound I would port the box and bridge my amp, but on only 250 watts and a single 10" sub sealed is plenty of sound for me. Its enough to rattle all of my mirrors if I really crank it up lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.