Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Tents for Ridgeline

107K views 168 replies 81 participants last post by  MarkTw 
#1 ·
#137 ·
5S Dude, you have any info on the trailer from the last pic on the bottom. It looks pretty sweet. A small effective pop-up..nice! Great pics and thanks for the insider info from the show.

#145 ·
Hello RL owners,
I noticed the post on the tents and thought I would chime in on my tent camping experience. I put up a post in the camping section also. The tent was made by Sportz Tents. I bought it originally from a couple on craigslist for $40. They were using it on their Ford Sportrax, the instructions say it is for a Nissan Frontier. I knew about the back window and tent gap but it didn't bother me. Even when I had my other tent in my Chevy truck there was a slight gap. This being said I spent 2 nights in my truck tent and the 1st night it was rainy and windy. The tent held up well and I didn't get wet and sure beat a motel price. Just my 2 cents. Check out my pics.

Attachments

#150 ·
I bought the deluxe truck tent from Cabelas after several calls to make sure it would fit a Ridgeline. It did not fit and I "chatted" with Cabelas again and was told how to make it work. It didn't. But I don't see how it will work with any truck for that matter. The tunnel part is too short to make it over the cab.

If anyone has seen this work with any truck I would like to see a real picture with real directions.

We ended up pitching the tent without the truck tunnel. I believe I can make it work by adding a longer section of rip stop nylon to the tunnel portion. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort. However, I read posts back to 2007 and it doesn't appear there is a truck tent like this for the RTL

#152 · (Edited)
I used the tent poles from my two man tent, some bungee cords, a 10x12 tarp, and a queen inflatable mattress.

Frame:

I had to not use the last two links of each pole (tucked them along sides of bed). The ends actually fit very nicely into holes in the tailgate, then I just tied the poles together at the top where they cross (just like when camping).

Cover:

One 10x12 tarp works well. I attached small bungee cords to the eyelets on the sides and secured them to my rims. The top was secured with larger cords around my roof rack. For an extra secure fit, I shut excess material in both rear doors. For the opening, I just used leftover tent poles (i think they were from the waterproofing cover) to keep it propped open. When we went to bed I had it rigged so I could remove the poles and hook an already placed bungee cord around my tailgate (underneath). That created a tight seal at our feet.

These pics are from the morning after. The great thing about this is that it was so easy to do. I set it up when we got there at midnight. It rained on us all night at Pismo and we didn't feel a drop.

Blue Wall Wire Electrical wiring

Blue Tent Room Bed Electric blue

Transport Tent Vehicle Automotive exterior Camping

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Natural environment Landscape

#153 ·
I used the tent poles from my two man tent, some bungee cords, a 10x12 tarp, and a queen inflatable mattress.

Frame:

I had to not use the last two links of each pole (tucked them along sides of bed). The ends actually fit very nicely into holes in the tailgate, then I just tied the poles together at the top where they cross (just like when camping).

Cover:

One 10x12 tarp works well. I attached small bungee cords to the eyelets on the sides and secured them to my rims. The top was secured with larger cords around my roof rack. For an extra secure fit, I shut excess material in both rear doors. For the opening, I just used leftover tent poles (i think they were from the waterproofing cover) to keep it propped open. When we went to bed I had it rigged so I could remove the poles and hook an already placed bungee cord around my tailgate (underneath). That created a tight seal at our feet.

These pics are from the morning after. The great thing about this is that it was so easy to do. I set it up when we got there at midnight. It rained on us all night at Pismo and we didn't feel a drop.
That's actually pretty cool. Serves the purpose. Me, I'm old and fat, and I gotta be able to stand up inside.
I grew up n Bakersfield and went to Pismo (we called it "Pissmo, with good reason.) Aren't many places where you can drive down on the beach. Lotsa fun. Are you a dune buggy rider?
Thanks, Eric, for the pics, and welcome to here.

#157 ·
Well. The tent is pre-assembled already. It comes pre-packed in a 56"x48"x12". Also has a 2" foam bed inside.

There's many benefits going this route.

1. additional storage underneath in the bed
2. quick set-up time
3. additional storage on the roof of vehicle
4. additional 20" on cross bar for kayak/snowboards/surfboards etc
5. sleeps up to 3 adults
6. no need to find a flat spot on the ground
7. keeps critters out

#158 ·
LOVE THE TARP IDEA!!! SO EASY!

I work at a toyota dealership and company called Explore put together a 2012 tacoma outfitted with a bunch of camping stuff including a ARB over bed tent....and it is awesome. Takes like 10 min to set up. all your bed space is still usable. so if you have kids or a ton of camping equipment, it can all still go in the bed ;-). Regular roof rack is still usable to. All you would need is a rack made for the ridgeline.

#166 ·
The problem with the ridge that you won't have with a typical pickup is trying to waterproof the bed. The 2 channels on either side of the roof run water down the sloped sides of the bed behind the plastic inserts like a gutter. I've got a softopper and tried to dam these up the best I could where the channels meet up with the rear roof plastic piece. (Upper brake light panel). I used 3m strip caulk from the local auto parts store. DO NOT try silicone caulking. That stuff is a nightmare to remove.

#167 ·
hey guys, lately I been thinking of getting a softtopper to use as a tent if and when I go camp, and also to cover my toys from the weather, but lately I been looking at the VanTech and started to think it may work for both of my needs at the moment. I sometimes need to hal long matherial 12+ ft, and hate having to have a large over hang out of the bed or shoving it through the tiny rear window. Anyways, I was thinking if I got the rack system that I could remove it when I do not need it, could throw a tarp over when I need cover, and could use the track as additional tie downs...
Thoughts?

#169 ·
Was there ever made a tent for the Ridgeline?
Says that the Napier fits at least... Any one tested?
I realize this thread is very old, but I looked up "Sportz Avalanche truck tent III" on Amazon and found the following two reviews:
"This tent fits great on a 07 Honda Ridgeline. The tent and straps along with the rain fly, fit like a glove on the ridgeline, and it almost seems like a factory tent it works so well. I’ve camped in high winds and freezing winter temps with this tent, and it’s been nothing but awesome and reliable! Great investment and would recommend"
"Really happy with this purchase. I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline, and this works perfectly. I bought a couple outdoor lounger cushions which fit perfectly in the bed, and it's more comfortable than my real mattress at home. The awning is really nice to have. After one practice setup, it's super easy to throw up each time afterwards, though you really need two people (four hands). It's wonderful to be off the ground, there's plenty of ventilation. It's a great product and well worth the price.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.