Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Trunk lid opening after Retrax tonneau cover installed

17K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Truckin' 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos to show the angle loss of the lid opening when the Retrax cover is used.

I opened it up all the way before the install and put a piece of duct tape on the side. Then I put tape to mark the reduced angle after the cover was on. The top of the tape was even with the bottom of the lid. The fourth photo shows the opening size we have now with the reduction from the rail. The last photo with shows the most restriction of access because the tonneau cover is not rolled back.

It was a worry for us before we bought our cover but is completely insignificant to us now. I cannot imagine needing the opening to be larger than it is with the limits the rails place on it. Actually, for the most part we don't even roll back the cover when we are getting into the trunk. If we need to get to the spare, we will be pushing the tonneau cover out of the way, but the things we use frequently are easily accessible without opening the Retrax.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pics, Truckin' -- thanks for posting them! Also, you picked a very good way to demonstrate the difference in the functionality of the in-bed trunk, with the duct tape and all. That was cool. Not that I'm getting the bed cover or anything (the "better half" hates them), but I still think you did a fine, fine job.

-flymuck

P.S. Damn that's a lot of stuff in your trunk! :)

#5 ·
Very nicely done and very well written! I agree completely. I think that your post with your pictures will make it a lot easier for people that are considering a Retrax cover to see and understand the impact that it has on the trunk lid opening. While there is some decrease in the amount that it opens it really does not matter.

#6 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your compliments. I'm glad that you found the post useful. That was what I was aiming for and it's nice of all of you to let me know I hit my mark.

#7 ·
flymuck said:
P.S. Damn that's a lot of stuff in your trunk! :)
What's a big trunk for if you don't use it?

#8 ·
Ah, good question. I keep one box of things (emergency supplies, tie-down cables, etc.) in mine, with the extra space used so that when I go to town to pick up stuff, I can put the stuff in the trunk and not worry about it being visible to potential theives when I go into the next store, and the next store... I live a bit far from civilization (believe it or not, even though I'm just outside of LA), so when I go to town, I try to kill lots of birds with the same stone. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Last weekend we went to a couple of auto stores, a couple of hardware stores, and a giant tools place, finally ending up at a Lowe's where we got 4x8 sheets of pegboard. Up until the giant tools place, everything we had bought fit in the trunk; some of the big stuff from the tools place ended up in the back seat area; then the pegboard, of course, took up the bed. It was nice to know that while we were in the stores, most of the stuff we'd bought was nicely hidden in the trunk.

This truck RULES! :D

#9 ·
We used the trunk for purchases too, before we got the tonneau cover. Now the whole truck bed is out of sight and it's great to toss things in there between errands.

#10 ·
FYI
If you want to soften the blow against the bottom of the cover rails when you open the trunk lid, install some black rubber door edge molding. Does the trick nicely!

#11 · (Edited)
HenryHonda said:
FYI
If you want to soften the blow against the bottom of the cover rails when you open the trunk lid, install some black rubber door edge molding. Does the trick nicely!
Yep, did that the other day when we put our gate seal on. It softened the tone of DH too; he doesn't have to crab at me anymore for letting it tap it rail.

#14 · (Edited)
Hello Northernguy. I'm pleased that you put your first post in my thread so that I can be the first to welcome another BLUE owner to the club. Be sure to swing by and introduce yourself to everyone on this thread:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38769#post38769

Yes, the cover will scratch much easier than your vehicle. We got a few scratches on ours right away because hubby hauled some wire fencing away and let some of the load hang over the top edge (it was retracted) without putting anything there to protect it. Actually, that could have scratched regular paint too.

We used black touch up paint and you have to look closely to notice it.

We haven't had snow here yet, but I'm not expecting that to be a problem. I will probably buy one of those snow brums to push the snow off.

Here are the scratch photos. I thought I had some of the painted repair, but can't find them right now.

Attachments

#15 ·
Too bad on the scratches.. I have been lucky so far with mine.

#16 ·
bonerep said:
Too bad on the scratches.. I have been lucky so far with mine.
Yeah, mama was not happy about that one. I'd been babying the truck bed to not get it scratched and he went and did this!

#17 ·
Hey Truckin', you might want to call randy at Retrax and see if you can get a new end panel. I doubt that it would be very hard to replace. Considering all of the sales that they have received as a result of this site, maybe he could scare up a freebee for you. A little good will goes a long way.

#18 ·
Hi, U-H. That's something I hadn't even considered. It actually doesn't look too bad with the paint we put on it, so it doesn't bother me now. We just used generic black auto touch up paint.

#19 ·
Wow -

I was not even considering a cover for my bed until I saw Ultra-Hog and Nicholas' Retrax covers, and Tex's Ridge's Honda cover. Now it comes down to type and choice! (I think my wife knew this trip to Cleveland to meet up w/ the other owners was going to be expensive in the long run).

The Retrax cover is really nice - and UH pointed out exactly how easy it is to install and take out if needed.

-ridgeln

#20 ·
After much debate and reading all the negative comments on the Honda hard tonneau, I went to the dealer and checked out one they had on their truck. I do not see what the big problem is with the factory cover unless it is the cost. Sure there is some trickle leaks in the front corners and at the fold but that is what the in bed trunk is for...to keep what needs dry, dry. It locks to the gate and they do have different locks. I read where someone claimed they were all keyed the same. Not true. You are going to spend just as much on the retrax (it seems less durable with a shorter warranty (ONLY 1 YEAR) since you will need to buy an aftermarket tailgate lock (another $90 plus install time). In the north what are you going to do in the winter when ice and slush freeze on the grooves. I can't see it being easy to roll that thing up full of ice, which you will need to do to get to the trunk. With the Honda cover it is the tough plastic that matches the bed, and in snow or ice you just flip it up and there you go. Four 14mm bolts hold it on so if you know you need the space it should be off in about 5 minutes or less. I am going to go for the Honda cover after seeing the pics of the retrax and how easily it scratches. The cover also covers all the bed scratches which seem inevitable with this composite material. Also, with the way the ridges in the bed are high, the water will just run below any load in there unless it is sitting in the low spots. If the thing was water tight, and i don't know why it can't be, it would be a home run.

#21 ·
Many people are happy with the OEM. There's nothing wrong with either one of them, it just depends which one suits your needs and appeals to you. I hope you're as happy with your purchase as we are with ours.

#22 ·
dboz said:
After much debate and reading all the negative comments on the Honda hard tonneau, I went to the dealer and checked out one they had on their truck. I do not see what the big problem is with the factory cover unless it is the cost. Sure there is some trickle leaks in the front corners and at the fold but that is what the in bed trunk is for...to keep what needs dry, dry. It locks to the gate and they do have different locks. I read where someone claimed they were all keyed the same. Not true. You are going to spend just as much on the retrax (it seems less durable with a shorter warranty (ONLY 1 YEAR) since you will need to buy an aftermarket tailgate lock (another $90 plus install time). In the north what are you going to do in the winter when ice and slush freeze on the grooves. I can't see it being easy to roll that thing up full of ice, which you will need to do to get to the trunk. With the Honda cover it is the tough plastic that matches the bed, and in snow or ice you just flip it up and there you go. Four 14mm bolts hold it on so if you know you need the space it should be off in about 5 minutes or less. I am going to go for the Honda cover after seeing the pics of the retrax and how easily it scratches. The cover also covers all the bed scratches which seem inevitable with this composite material. Also, with the way the ridges in the bed are high, the water will just run below any load in there unless it is sitting in the low spots. If the thing was water tight, and i don't know why it can't be, it would be a home run.
Everything he said! I like your summation!! I have the OEM cover;)

#23 ·
Just a couple of things to consider about the Retrax. I have had mine for about 5 months and I do not have any scratches. I do treat it the same as I would the hood of the truck because it could be scratched if you are not careful. I don't think that snow and ice will be any more or less of a problem with the Retrax than with any other cover. Somewhat different, yes, due to the different designs, but not necessarily better or worse. On the retrax, you should clear snow from the front part of the cover before opening it. On the OEM cover you would want to clear the snow from the rear part before lifting it. The most important factor, at least for me, is the ease of use on a daily basis. Opening and closing the Retrax is a breeze. It only takes one finger to pop the latch then one hand to slide it open. If you want to get groceries, golf clubs or a box out of the bed or the trunk, it doesn't get any easier of quicker than the Retrax. Other covers require additional steps and seem to be more awkward to live with. I do not have the OEM cover so I can not speak from experience on that point. Tex or others that do have other covers can address the ease of use issue.
Everyones needs and priorities are different. So far, almost all of the covers that I have seen look very good, including the OEM cover. While the OEM cover may not be my choice for my needs, there are quite a few members that are very happy with theirs. Pick the one that best suits your needs and enjoy!

#25 ·
Welcome to the ROC Maybe a Ridgeline! Thanks for registering! We are glad that you found us! The Honda OEM cover opens and folds back flat with the rear section resting on the front section so there is nothing to hold up when it is in the open position. The in bed trunk lid stays open by itself in much the same way that the trunk of a sedan does. There is no need to hold it. I have and aftermarket bed cover made by Retrax. It is a hard roll-up type cover that retracts into a canister that is at the front of the bed just below the rear window. Retrax is a sponsor of the ROC and you can click on the link at the top of the page for more information. There is a LOT of good information an a lot of good bed covers here on the ROC. The Honda OEM cover and the Retrax are only two of the many choices that you have. I would suggest that you get a cup of coffee, get real comfortable, and use the search function at the top of the page to search for "Bed Cover", "Tonneau", "Retrax", "Access", and several others that I don't recall at the moment (but they will show up in your search). There is a lot to absorb but we are here to help you with anything that you need. I am sure that you will see comments like "every ones needs are different" and "there is no one cover that is best for everyone". Think about how you will be using your truck, your in-bed trunk, and the bed itself. Once you have thought through all that you probably will have narrowed down the choices. Then it is just a matter of details and price. Also, consider installation of the cover. Some are very easy and can be done by average people with average skills and tools. A few are more difficult. In my opinion the Honda OEM cover is by far the most involved and the most difficult, but the finished product might be the one that is best for you.
Good luck in your quest. Don't hesitate to jump in and post your questions, although searching will probably answer most of your questions.
Once again, welcome to the ROC! :)

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.