Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Accessory Grill Install

138K views 75 replies 50 participants last post by  bullitridden 
#1 ·
The following is the procedure I used to install the Honda accessory grill in my Ridgeline. I basically followed the Honda grill install pdf. In addition, I also installed Honda Fog lights. If you are handy and wish to have both accessories it makes sense while you have the bumper cover lying on the floor of your garage to perform both installations. The fog light installation caries a higher degree of difficulty than the grill install. I documented both installs, but will focus on the grill since a fog lights installation how-to has already been done.

Tools:
Phillips and flat screwdrivers, metric socket set or nut drivers (10mm) and a blanket to throw on the garage floor to lay the bumper on are all the tools you need.

1) Open the hood and remove the seven clips along the front of the bulkhead. Picture 1 below shows the inner clip that you pop up with the flat blade screwdriver. After the inner clip is popped up you can pull it and the outer clip out of the hole and put aside in a container. An additional point to take note of in this picture is the fact that the bulkhead cover is on top of the bumper cover you will be removing. This is important when reinstalling the bumper cover to be sure to tuck it under the bulkhead cover.
2) You also need to remove 2 screws located under the front of the fender wells and 6 bolts under the fender cover (see diagram in grill Installation Instructions ).
3) The installation sheet doesn’t mention that there are tabs running from under the headlights towards the fenders as seen in picture 2 below. After removing all the fasteners from the 2 steps above, the bumper won’t come off until you pull it away form these tabs. I grabbed the cover at the outside and started pulling it away and the tabs started popping off. The bumper cover is extremely light and easy to handle without additional help. I would recommend having the blanket ready to lay it down on prior to pulling it off.
4) After removing the bumper and laying it face down on the blanket, you'll need to remove the 9 screws holding it in place (shown in picture 3 ). ALL OF THESE SCREWS AND CLIPS ARE REUSED SO DON’T LOSE THEM. From here you pop the grill out by disengaging the tabs that run around the periphery of the grill.
5) Remove the screws from the back of the “H” logo to be reused to fasten the new “H” to the new grill.
6) Picture 4 shows the old and new grills side by side to see the differences not only in design but size as well. The original grill fits inside the front face of the bumper, where as the chrome outer of the new grill fits out over the front face. Picture 5 is the point in the install where you don’t want the wife to wander into the garage if she is at all squeamish (take it from me, my wife didn’t get the joke).
7) To install the new grill into the bumper cover after reusing the screws to mount the new “H” on the new grill, simply push the grill into place until the tabs engage, then reinstall the screws taken from the old grill. Picture 6 shows bumper cover with new grill installed. From here I went on to conquer the fog light installation. After completing that…
8) Reinstall the bumper cover by lining it in position, sliding the top under the bulkhead cover (seen in picture 1) and start clipping the tabs under the headlights. You need to tuck the black surrounding parts behind the cover as you go (black wheel-well trim, black trim under the front of the vehicle. The only trim that ends up over the entire cover periphery is the aforementioned bulkhead cover. Then, pushed the 7 clips back on the top edge and reinstalled the screws in the front of the wheel-wells as well as bolts under the bumper.

There you have it!! Picture 7 shows a before and after of grill as well as fogs. I should have taken both shots without flash for better comparison but… This is not an overly difficult install if you have some patients, take care and have the few tools needed. I’m not sure what your local dealer would charge for this (and fogs) install but both took ~3.5 hours and it was great to see the look of the truck evolve.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The additional pictures...

Attachments

#67 ·
Nice job.
I just ordered one on ebay, nice and shiny one which bolts over the existing grill in about 20 minutes. I had one on my 300C and loved it and got lots of compliments on it.
Jimmy

#5 ·
Thanks. It was a fun experience. The grill wasn't much of a challenge, the fogs were a fun challenge.

#7 ·
jch,

Great post.

As one who has seen the real bumper under the plastic cover ... what do you think of it? Doesn't look like much. Are there shock absorbing dampers or something we can't see in the photo?

I see absolutely no corner to that bumper at all. Looks like a mere touch of a pole or someone elses bumper would completly cave in the plastic bumper and even damage running gear?

Any thoughts?

#9 ·
sfleming said:
jch,

Great post.

As one who has seen the real bumper under the plastic cover ... what do you think of it? Doesn't look like much. Are there shock absorbing dampers or something we can't see in the photo?

I see absolutely no corner to that bumper at all. Looks like a mere touch of a pole or someone elses bumper would completly cave in the plastic bumper and even damage running gear?

Any thoughts?
sfleming,
Not sure about shock absorbing dampers. To my untrained eye, the bumper didn't appear very intimidating, like the ram-rod everyone would want to see on the front of the vehicle they are driving. In the big picture of the engineering that went into the design of the front end however, this is obviously a superior design, as demonstrated by the highest marks in frontal (not to mention side impact) crash tests!!!
I guess it comes down to ...I can't judge the performance of the bumper based on it's appearance, I can only trust the crash test ratings and Honda's historical commitment to safety first! :D

#10 ·
jch said:
sfleming,
Not sure about shock absorbing dampers. To my untrained eye, the bumper didn't appear very intimidating, like the ram-rod everyone would want to see on the front of the vehicle they are driving. In the big picture of the engineering that went into the design of the front end however, this is obviously a superior design, as demonstrated by the highest marks in frontal (not to mention side impact) crash tests!!!
I guess it comes down to ...I can't judge the performance of the bumper based on it's appearance, I can only trust the crash test ratings and Honda's historical commitment to safety first! :D
Smartest answer I've read. Not to mention, the absolute goal is the safety of the passengers, not how the bumper survives.

#11 ·
Good morning jch,
This is one of the best posts regarding the grill install ever! The instructions were very well done. I think I've read somewhere that the absence of substance behind the plastic bumper cover was designed to protect pedestrians or something to that effect. ROC-on :D
Ron

#12 ·
As part of Honda's "Safety for Everyone" campaign they are not limiting that to persons inside the vehicle. It is true that Honda developed a "pedestrian dummy" to run crash tests. I know the Ridgeline and Accord have features designed into them to "cradle" a pedestrian as opposed to smacking and tossing them. The bumper and hood designs are an itegral part of this. I was also thinking that is why they have placed the windshield wipers below the hood. This could also be for wind noise, aerodynamics, aesthics, etc. Either way I love the clean look of not seeing wiper blades or washer nozzles and think the safety for everyone campaign is great!!

#14 ·
Howdy,

I did my own billet grill install. I thought the bumper basically snapped into place. I believe it's ten clips, a couple of bolts and about four screws. It really was easy.

One tip is do yourself a favor and don't wait until you are holding the whole bumper in your hands to figure out you don't have anything padded to set it on. LOL Whoops. Huh....yah mean this bumper is a finished, painted part of my truck? Huh. I never made the connection......HAHA

Have fun!:D

#16 ·
This is a great thread!!! I have my billet insert sitting in my garage awaiting mhy install, and now, this is going to be so much easier!!!!!!

Should have it done by Tuesday which will complete all of my installs.

Total-Wind Deflector (Hood and Moonroof), Running Boards, Tail light garnish, Running Boards, Fog LIghts, Rear Mud Flaps and Roof RAck. I'll post pics as soon as I get the installs done.

#17 ·
I will post pictures tomorrow, but I have to tell you...I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would have been able to pull off this billet install if it was not for this thread!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all that info!! You made me do something that I never could have in a million years!!!

Thanks!!!!

#22 ·
The billett, OEM upgrade and all black grilles look great folks. I approached it a little differently. I did not get the upgrade grille upon purchase and now my wife will not let me buy any new accessories to save money. So, I decided to paint the silver part of the OEM grille flat black. I purchased a second OEM grille on Ebay for $25.00 so I could revert if I didn't like it or for when I sell the truck.

You definitely have to have a blanket laid out and ready to place the front bumper. If you have foglights like me, you may want to elevate the blanket 6-10 inches so the bumper is not hanging by the foglight wiring. I did not unhook this wiring. Removal and re-installation of the bumper went smoothly on my truck. Be careful not to drop the clips into the engine compartment or in the grass. If you are taking apart the actual OEM grille to paint like I did, take your time and be careful not to break the plastic tabs that hold it together.

I separated the three pieces of the second (new) grille; black, silver and chrome-like Honda badge. I sanded the exterior of the silver piece with 400-600 grit sandpaper, and sprayed two coats of primer, sanding in between and afterwards. I then applied two thin coats of flat black spray as not to create runs and sags. I purchased flat clear coat as well however, I did not use it because I thought it would have given it a slight sheen. When it dries thoroughly, put it all back together, remove bumper and swapped the grilles. Below are the before, during and after pics.

It was truely only a six beer job/mod.

Good Luck !

Rich

Attachments

#26 ·
I decided to paint the silver part of the OEM grille flat black. I purchased a second OEM grille on Ebay for $25.00 so I could revert if I didn't like it or for when I sell the truck.
Rich

Rich I just did the same thing to mine a few weeks ago,the only thing I did different was painted it gloss black then hit it with some matte clear when done... Half a dozen one way six the other

Nice job

#31 ·
It might look cool with a red Type R "H" logo centered on it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.