Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

OEM Tonneau Cover Install

46K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  Eyeseeyou 
G
#1 ·
Hello all,

I got my cover from UPS this morning. I have been reading over the installation instructions. I had a few questions for those who have installed this on their own.

#1, What is the HARD PLASTIC PLATE (approximatly 50 mm x 80 mm x 1 mm)

#2, When removing the rear upper trim, did you use the KTC Tool and did you cover whatever you used with a cloth to keep from damaging the paint?

Any other Do's and Don'ts would be helpful.

#2 ·
don't drag the cover on the bed where the cover hindges or folds in half, the hindges will scratch the bed, found out myself, hindge isn't or doesn't have enough covering.

#4 ·
Sorry, can't help you on the installation. I had the dealer install the OEM cover for me, but i do keep a 10mm combo wrench inside the glove box in case i need to remove the cover for shipping.

#5 ·
I installed mine and I did not use the plate as it was not mentioned in the instructions. It was only listed in the tools needed list. I did not install the lock clip on the tailgate. I installed a lock from Basickoncepts.

I did not use a trim tool. I carefully worked at it with a wide screw driver covered in a shop towel. I used another shop towel on the painted edge that I lightly leveraged against. The worst part was refitting the trim at the top of the rear window. I took a couple of tries to line it up before setting the clips. The instructions were very good. Follow them closely.

#7 ·
I did not like the clips hanging down and the internal lock seems cleaner. I rarely use the lock. It would be even better to have the power tailgate lock. I did not go the power route because I did not like the way the wiring harness is installed going to the gate.

#8 · (Edited)
kanji said:
Sorry, can't help you on the installation. I had the dealer install the OEM cover for me, but i do keep a 10mm combo wrench inside the glove box in case i need to remove the cover for shipping.
I only installed 2 of the four mounting points for the front section of the cover. The front edge kind of drops in and under a short sill so the front edge is held down well enough. I installed the two mounting points toward the rear of the forward cover section. This makes access to the two attachment points easy. When I had the four points installed I would have to lay on the bed to reach the forward two points. I use small spring carabiners instead if the 10mm nuts and bolts. I got the carabiners at the key ring section of the local hardware store. These eliminate the need for a wrench when removing the cover. I have put the folded cover in the cab behind the front seats when carrying tall items unexpectedly.

#10 ·
bliss53 said:
I only installed 2 of the four mounting points for the front section of the cover. The front edge kind of drops in and under a short sill so the front edge is held down well enough. I installed the two mounting points toward the rear of the forward cover section. This makes access to the two attachment points easy. When I had the four points installed I would have to lay on the bed to reach the forward two points. I use small spring carabiners instead if the 10mm nuts and bolts. I got the carabiners at the key ring section of the local hardware store. These eliminate the need for a wrench when removing the cover. I have put the folded cover in the cab behind the front seats when carrying tall items unexpectedly.
good job, yea i also thaught about using wingnuts instead of the nuts that came with it for easy install, i didn't mind laying on my back to install and removing. Do you have any pics for the carabiners springs? I may go your way if that looks and works similar to the 10mm nuts & bolt.

#11 ·
crj_lll said:
Di you use a MM drill bit set and MM hole saw set? Also, what is a VARI BIT. Are they referring to a UNI-BIT? Any help would be appreciated.
I did not drill the holes myself. I was able to get a second set of panels predrilled. The seller of my cover ordered new panels when he took the cover off his truck. I do happen to have a Vari-bit. It is cone shaped and it has a stepped surface that allows you to stop at the desired size or press on to the next step.

G
#12 ·
Sucessful Install

It is finally all done. I have a fully instaled unit where I drlled the holes from scratch. It looks great. The most amazing part of this install is that I did it on a Sat in Jan in PA. Not just any sat but maybe the coldest day of the winter season so far. When I was finally done, my fingers were so cold that when I cam inside they felt like the were on fire and were in pain for 2 hours. I was seriously afraid I had frost bite. Luckily I was just panicing. The sacrfice was well worth it. I love the cover especially when I park next to another truck who does not have one as nice looking. (Every other truck)

Good luck all. If you need any advice, let me know. Obvously the first thing I suggest is a mild to warm day. LOL

#13 ·
I have removed the 10mm bolts and replaced them with spring clips that look like this:
Font Metal Ear

I found them at a Tractor Supply store. They come in various sizes and I'm still experimenting with size to get the best fit.

#58 · (Edited)
I have removed the 10mm bolts and replaced them with spring clips...
I liked this idea. Still looking for a local supply of larger diameter clips. Added hand knobs to allow quick removal of the tonneau mounting flanges for more load clearance.

My Ridgeline came with the rear oem underseat storage (P/N 08U43-SJC-100) which uses two hand knob fasteners to secure it. I replaced the storage box with an aftermarket Du-Ha model that provides more space. Haven't sold the oem storage box yet and while taking images for a craigslist posting I wondered if the diameter and thread size on the hand knob shaft would fit the tonneau's flange slot nuts. Yep!

The hand knobs that came with the oem storage box are six-lobed hand knobs, 50mm head diameter, M6 x 1.0 x 20mm. The 20mm threaded shaft length is a little long. It bottoms out in the tonneau cover mounting rail slot. A length of 15mm would be better. I used a thick washer to add space. A two or four lobed knob would allow a better grip, so long as the head diameter is over 40mm. Over 50mm is better. The hand knobs from the oem storage box tighten down nicely, yet then are a bit hard to grip when turning out. It's mostly the working angle up under the back edge of the tonneau which limits a good grip.

There are multiple Internet sources who sell this type of knobbed fastener, though most in the M6 size use smaller 25-30mm knobs. Bigger knobs usually have M10 sized threaded shafts.

There is a Honda fastener kit for the oem box (P/N 08U43-SJC-100R1), but for only two knobs and unneeded flange and bolt the price is a little high.

Attachments

#15 ·
crj_lll said:
Does the cover rattle at all? Like when you go over bumps?
I haven't noticed any rattling when driving. With the tailgate down and the back section folded up, I can force it to move around a little bit with my hand. I want to try the next heavier clip to see how it fits, but I'm in Europe this week and my RL is at home (with my wife). It'll have to wait til I get back home.

#17 ·
crj_lll said:
LEts all prey for the safety of your ridge. :D
OK - I'm back home and the Ridge made it through the week none the worse for wear. My wife loves to drive it when I'm away:rolleyes:

The spring clips that I've settled on are called 3/16" Clip Pins. They are quite substantial (not your mama's little hair clip). I don't notice that the cover makes any vibration or movement. They clip in quickly and remove easily.

#18 ·
Rick Walker said:
OK - I'm back home and the Ridge made it through the week none the worse for wear. My wife loves to drive it when I'm away:rolleyes:

The spring clips that I've settled on are called 3/16" Clip Pins. They are quite substantial (not your mama's little hair clip). I don't notice that the cover makes any vibration or movement. They clip in quickly and remove easily.

Hey Rick...do you have any pics from under the bed? I had the dealer install my Tonneau and I like the idea of spring clips instead of nuts and bolts. I have not yet looked undeneath to see how the cover is attached. How many 3/16' clips will I need to purchase?

Thanks...

#19 · (Edited)
Hogman said:
Hey Rick...do you have any pics from under the bed? I had the dealer install my Tonneau and I like the idea of spring clips instead of nuts and bolts. I have not yet looked undeneath to see how the cover is attached. How many 3/16' clips will I need to purchase?
Thanks...
There are 4 bolts (10mm I believe) total. 2 on each side. So I simply removed the 4 bolts and replaced them with 4 spring clips. Here's a pic of one side from underneath.
Wood Metal

I've been using it for quite a while using the clips and haven't had any problems. It is secure and doesn't move around while driving. The cover is easy to remove and no tools are required.

#23 ·
There are 4 bolts (10mm I believe) total. 2 on each side. So I simply removed the 4 bolts and replaced them with 4 spring clips. Here's a pic of one side from underneath.
View attachment 10696
I've been using it for quite a while using the clips and haven't had any problems. It is secure and doesn't move around while driving. The cover is easy to remove and no tools are required.

That's an EXCELLENT idea! Just Brilliant! I'm going to go out and find me some spring clips this weekend.

Thanks for the great tip!:D

#20 ·
Rick Walker said:
There are 4 bolts (10mm I believe) total. 4 on each side. So I simply removed the 4 bolts and replaced them with 4 spring clips. Here's a pic of one side from underneath.
View attachment 10696
Very cool! Thanks. I just purchased (4) clips and will install tonight.

#21 ·
Always glad to help out a fellow ROC'r!!!

#25 ·
Rick,
I think I read one of your posts in a different forum about the clips, and was getting ready to ask about pics and see you have them posted here. Great idea and I'm getting some tomorrow. I think my old hitch pin clip is 3/16" and will try that before I buy a pack of new ones. Thanks again, it's amazing the info you can get through this site!
Tom

#26 ·
The Spring Clips/Hitch Pins are still working out fine for me. When I had the bolts, I had to convince myself that it was worthwhile digging up a wrench and laying on my back in the bed to remove the bolts. Most times I didn't go through the effort. With the pins I don't give it a 2nd thought. I just pop them out and off comes the cover.
Gotta love the simple solutions. :D

#28 ·
I finally got my clips installed. The timing is perfect for me, too. I'm buying a new house and will be removing the bed and moving all kinds of stuff in the next few weeks!

Again, a BRILLIANT Tip! Thanks!

#30 · (Edited)
Hi,

Those clips look awesome.

Can any of you help me out. i received my OEM cover today but the install instructions were missing. Reading through the posts it seems a little too hard to just eyeball it together.

Any body able copy or scan their instructions and send them to me?

Thanks in advance

#32 ·
Hi,
Those clips look awesome.
Can any of you help me out. i received my OEM cover today but the install instructions were missing. Reading through the posts it seems a little too hard to just eyeball it together.
Any body able copy or scan their instructions and send them to me?
Thanks in advance
Surprised that the instructions were not included. Here is a link to College Hills Honda's website for exterior accessories. The OEM cover instructions is a pdf link at the bottom of the window.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_ridgeline_accessories/06_07_exterior.htm

Have fun and report back on your progress. :rolleyes: