Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Headlight switch, rubber grips peeling off

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  IN_Darel 
#1 ·
I did a quick search and didn't see anything related to this topic.
I noticed today, that the rubber grips on the headlight switch of my Oct. 2012 purchased RL peeling off. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to assume that my knee keeps contacting/bumping the switch upon climbing into the driverseat.
Is there an alternative switch that I can replace my stock switch with? Do the earlier models RL's have the same style switch?
I have submitted a pic to go with this post.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
This is off topic, but I noticed by this pic that this 2012 Ridge still doesnt have auto on/off headlights. Does anyone know why Honda does not have this on the Ridge? or if they do, what model? I leave my lights on A LOT and Im sure that had some to do with battery failure after only 4 years. Probably ran it dead 20 times. If Honda does not have auto lights, they should at least have a better buzzer system. Mine only buzzes with the key out of the ignition, and I rarely pull the key out. I assumed this was standard in all vehicles. Its been on every other vehicle ive owned since '02.

#7 · (Edited)
That's why your auto-off light feature (standard since day 1) doesn't work. If you leave the key in the ignition, the lights stay on. Take the key out, and xx seconds later, the lights go off.

This will require a change in your habits. Either turn off the lights manually, or remove the key from the ignition if you leave the lights on. I suspect 99.999% of the people remove their keys from the ignition in this day and age (but that may be a low estimate). ;)

#8 ·
I did not know they were intended to be auto. Im familar with the type that you set to auto and leave it, or you can manually select if you desire.

I was raised in a small town (I graduated with 18) where few ever locked a vehicle or house...and on the farm it was rule from the time I could walk to NEVER remove a key. Too hard to keep track of that many keys and you never knew who would need something next...a neighbor maybe. It was not unsual for me to come home and a vehicle be missing. It always showed back up though...just a friend or neighbor used it. In fact, I know several people (and myself) that would get a vehicle and break the key off in the ignition so it could never be removed. I had a 98 chevy that I sold with nearly 200K and I dont think the key had ever been removed from the ignition.(unless my wife took it out). Most of my friends are still that way today. Just hard to break old habits.

I am going to pull the key tomorrow and see what happens with the headlights on. This is the time of year that I tend to leave the lights on. It is dark when I leave home, but daylight when I get to work. (I commute 41 each way). Im not sure what I would do with the bulky key though...maybe leave it on the console? I would be afaid of accidentally locking the key in then.

#9 ·
Ah yes. The good ol' days. ;) A thing of the past in most of our world these days.

#13 ·
I have a related problem - my knee likes to bump the bed light switch next to it when I enter. If I lower the seat all the way (it's already back fully) I don't hit my knee - but I like the seat raised up for a comfortable driving position. I guess if Honda had memory seats with an auto-entry position, the problem would be solved (and we'd be replacing power seat motors more frequently).

Alas, this is one of the small annoyances I've learned to live with in this otherwise excellent truck.

#16 ·
The service department called today to let me know that they will replace my headlight switch, as what they call "a one time goodwill". Which means that they replace this time but if it happens again, I will have to pay for it to get fixed.

#17 ·
I hate those kind of "goodwill" gestures. It's like they're doing you a favor or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.