Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Ridgeline toppers

26K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  heintzra 
#1 ·
As a new owner of a 2007 Ridgeline I would like to buy a topper for my unit. I haul around two dogs for hunting season and would use the back of the topper in the off-season for regular truck hauling stuff. I have looked at the ARE and LEER topper. I sure would like some comments from owners who might have one of these toppers on their rig. I'm looking for feedback on functionality, water seal, looks and value. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Jim

#2 ·
If you use the search feature and type in "Leer" and "ARE", you will find the threadfs where owners of these toppers have added there opinions. Good luck in your search!

#3 ·
First off, my searches on ARE (or A.R.E.) didn't turn up anything...

Secondly, I like the looks of the Leer better; however, I'm in the process of ordering an A.R.E. because there's no guess work when fitting (they remove the two front, top tie down hooks lay the topper on the truck and replace the old bolts with longer ones through the hooks through the camper and into the truck. In the back, they also remove another bolt and replace with longer bolt again holding the camper on. Of course they have to push the top down to get the holes to line up. Finally, they cut part of your rain channel on the roof and seal it up somehow to prevent water leakage. So, I don't know about taking it off and on.

I'm steering away from the Leer, although I like its looks better, because, as I understand it, they need to align it and tighten it down with J-hooks. There is no guarentee it'll be installed as designed or will ever be. I've read plenty of threads about water getting through and that's my #1 enemy. It also appears that it doesn't come over the truck some like the A.R.E. If you look at two pictures side by side of them, you'll see what I'm talking about. It seems like the Leer sits ontop of the truck where the A.R.E. appears to sit ontop and around the truck (near the cab). This is another reason I feel A.R.E. will seal better.

I went in saw one in person today and feel it good quality. I'm ordering one....probably tomorrow. After I get it, I plan on taking pictures and doing a review for the board.

#5 ·
Although your post is awhile back there is no doubt a lot of folks still asking the same question. I did a lot of research and learned from several dealers that Leer doesn't seem to fit all that well without a LOT of effort on the installers part and TIME IS MONEY so there have been some less than perfect installs with Leer tops and then unhappy Ridgeline owners. A.R.E reviews have been much better so that's the route I took and am totally happy with the cap. Have now had it out in some pretty crappy Michigan weather with no leaks. The guys at Midwest Truck Accessories in Detroit were very cool to work with. If I EVER get a decent day to wash up the RL and take some pics I'll post them. Right now the poor baby is so salt covered I can hardly stand to look at her!

#6 · (Edited)
I am also interested in getting a top for my 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL Steel Blue. If fact, I did a bunch of research before buying my Ridgeline about them. I found that A.R.E and Leer made the cap and thought great. Then I bought my Ridgeline and was highly upset when I was told by both that it is a more permanent install and neither recommends it being taken off the truck. Neither company expressed this anywhere that I could find before purchasing the truck. If fact, I was ready to place an order for one and I asked the cap dealer how hard it was to take off and then that is when I found out they don't recommend it. And I don't quite understand that because that is what a cap is all about. I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world but I have 4 dogs and need the cap to transport them. And although the cap would probably be on the truck 95% of the time, it is still a truck and I need the cap to come off so I can haul what I need to haul. Has anyone taken their cap off and have success putting it back on? I bought my truck last June and was just asked today if I missed my 1996 Nissan pickup and I said I missed the cap the most.

#7 ·
I have a LEER. I unbolted it and jacked it up it up to realign the cap about 3/16" on left side.
The original installer used that sticky back foam tape so I had to use a jack and piece of 4x4 across the bed long enough to catch the cap on both sides.

I had to jack real slow to give the sticky foam a chance to release.

after adjustment I let it back down resealed with no problems.

The cap is heavy. One person cannot put it on and off alone. two husky fellows may get it done.

I am going to make a lift frame to mount on an engine lift boom to pick it up for complete removal one of these days. the installer did in by himself but used a fork lift with an extended carpeted frame to set the cap on.

No permanent changes are made to the Ridgeline for the LEER. just some sticky foam which should clean up with a bottle GOO OFF easily enough.

Total time to readjust was less than 45 minutes that counted the time to cut the 4x4 to length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.