Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Bazooka 8" Underseat Install: FAST 9999 & BTAH Harness: BTA8100FHC: Speaker Wiring

22K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Zymn 
#1 · (Edited)
Bazooka 8" Underseat Install: FAST 9999 & BTAH Harness: BTA8100FHC: Speaker Wiring

Saw the posts for the 6" Bazooka's tucked "behind" the seat, but wasn't sure the 6" would be enough for me (talked w/ tech's at Bazooka they said the 8" was by far the fan favorite, even over the 10", due to its nice "tight" bass...at least that's what they told me I'm no expert!).

But, just got it plugged in, put in some Phantom Planet, and BazRocka!! Its a HUGE improvement in the sound...EXACTLY what I was looking for (Not looking to win any bass competitions or rattle parts off of the RL...just a good full rock sound, it was like 1/3 of the "sound" was missing). I had already upgraded the door speakers that had two=way/crossover but that didn't quite do the trick, I wanted to be able to hear the music on the highway...Now w/ the Bazooka, you can turn the "gain" switch on it on, and put the Bass from the stock HU at -1 or 0, and then the door speakers can crank out ONLY the mid's/highs, and let the Bazooka handle more of the lows, and it sounds great. Before the door speakers would start to get stressed if up too loud w/ the bass.

Alright, this is probably a bit much but here's all the pics from the install. Taking off the dash and getting behind the stereo is SUPER EASY, if you do DYI stuff at all its cake. I then ran the wiring into the back passenger corner and tucked the bazooka underneath the smaller of the rear bench seats (its exactly the width of that seat, so if you pop up the main bench seat its still covered). Plus, if I need the ENTIRE back floor, its ONE simple plug and 30 seconds to just remove the tube, and I hardly ever need to store stuff there anyways.

Removing the dash: Remember to follow the instructions from other posts to put the parking brake on, gear into 1st, steering column down. Then start prying off the bottom left corner under the steering wheel, you'll see there's a little "slot" where you are supposed to start the pry. Then just gently pop out the rest of the dash. There aren't any of those annoying clips to break either, really nice design from Honda. Youtube Video Demo

I used the FAST 9999 Harness instead of the other one (1736 or whatever), because saw that some ROC members had trouble with it. I actually had some trouble with the 9999 as well, but Bazooka tech support took care of me on a Sunday even (see thread link below, great customer support! Between talking w/ Bazooka tech before buying, and them helping me on a Sunday, I'm impressed to say the least).

The FAST 9999 *DOES NOT REQUIRE* running a power supply up to the battery! You could literally do this job in an hour or so if you moved fast...I took some breaks to work on my 12oz curls so took a bit longer.

Follow the directions w/ the 9999 harness. Here's the wiring info you need:

Wiring Schematic #1
Wiring Harness #2

Or just use this:
front Right speaker---blue/silver dot is positive
front Right speaker---red/silver dot is neg.
Front Left speaker---green/silver is positive
Front Left speaker---purple/silver is neg
ACC/12v Switched power--yellow/red (see note below)

The *ONE* Trick with the FAST 9999 though, is that it has a blue wire that's supposed to work on the "remote amp" or "power antenna" secondary 12v delayed/switched wire. Well, if you have the RT like me, there is NO such wire. So, I had to post a thread at Bazook's forum, tech support informed me to simply hook both the red & blue 9999 wire to the same red/yellow 12v going to the stereo, and yep it works:) Here's the Bazooka Support Thread

Here's the 9999 all hooked up to stock HU:

Here's the install process. I took off all panels in the beginning, and then fed the tube end of the cable up under the rear corner right where the seatbelt connects to the wall (you have to unbolt the seatbelt). You can see what I mean here, and no you can't actually see this angle, I just stuck my camera in the hole and snapped a pic:) Then I ran the deck end of the BTAH cable from the rear then forward up behind the glovebox to the HU. You just gently pry up the plastic door sill covers from the "carpet side" nice & gentle, they pop right out.

Then forward up to the dash (the photos here are "before" I tucked the BTAH inside of the existing cable run sort of under the door sill lip:

Lower the glove box, and you can see there's a bar going across that other wires are tied to, I tied to the same place (to get the glove box down pop out these little goobers):

ONE MAJOR TRICK trick to make this setup work, is you have to sand the powdercoat finish off of the ground spot here for the end of the BTAH cable or the Bazooka WILL NOT power on! (ask me how I know :)). I actually put the ground right on the end of the plastic push clip that holds the plastic cover in place under the bench, put a washer on the clip side and just pop it into the same hole, works great. I sanded the powdercoat off , sanded one side of a washer, even sanded the ground cable end for good contact.

I also cut a groove for the cable to fit under the plastic cover:

Screw the mounting straps into the carpet per the instructions:

Time to smile:)

You can see the 8” tube fits well, and really sounds great:)

EDIT: THIS PIC WAS BEFORE I FLIPPED THE TUBE AROUND TO HAVE THE SPEAKER POINTING AT THE DOOR, WHICH IS THE *CORRECT* METHOD PER THE FOLKS AT BAZOOKA. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO "CORNER LOAD" IT BY POINTING IT AT THE DOOR/CORNER.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Bazooka 8" Underseat Install: FAST 9999 & BTAH Harness: BTA8100FHC: Speaker Wirin

Nice, can't say I'd ever run a tube. But if you don't need a lot of bass than why not???
I've got the 8" in my CRV and it has awesome bass! Best part is it is hidden under the picnic table, out of sight -out of mind!

#3 ·
Re: Bazooka 8" Underseat Install: FAST 9999 & BTAH Harness: BTA8100FHC: Speaker Wirin

Looks like it's facing the wrong way, but I think I mentioned that in another thread - you ever flip it around so that it properly loads the corner of the truck?

#4 ·

Hi Crimson, yep, already switched it to "corner load" and edited the post on the 7th with that red text above the photo to swap the ends around, just was too busy to load up another pic;)

RE: importcraz, I don't listen to bass-dominant music like "rap"...I listen to "rock" and its more than enough bass! The real benefit is I can turn down the bass on the HU, allowing the door speakers to just pump mid/treb, so I get a lot bigger "sound" from my system w/o having to put in a 4 channel amp to the door speakers. I can finally rock out loud at highway speeds:)

#7 ·

I know this thread has been beaten to death, however, I liked the install of the bazooka sub, and the infinity door speakers. That being said, Ive done some research on all the parts I want, I am NOT electronically inclined, and went to a local dealer/install place, and asked, if I brought all the parts in (sub, door speakers, HU, and wiring harness) what would it cost for them to install it ALL (also some dynamat). His response was $1100, and that it would take 3 days to get the whole thing done.:act002: He also mentioned that I needed 72 sq ft of Dynamat, which runs in their shop, about $300 for 36 sq ft. Now I dont know if its cause Im blonde, or maybe he knows Im not the best at electronics, but I think that is kinda steep. Plus, I dont want anyone smoking IN my RL while they are doing the install. I didnt mention that to him. I havent yet spent the money on the parts, but just wanted to get a good estimate on install prices. Anyone know of a cheaper place?? Or someone who does installs on the side thats NOT gonna rip me off?? Any assistance from the ROC is greatly appreciated!

#8 ·

Hey Cooper,
I'd just checkout a "Best Buy" or something that's going to have some standardized pricing. I've used them before without trouble.

The bazooka install was just a few hours work, definitely NOT $1100 worth of work, but the Dynamat I'm not qualified to speak on.

#9 ·

Installing Dynamat in the interior is a big job - it requires pulling everything out where you want it installed.

But three days? Nah. Whole thing could be done in one day, easy.

#12 ·

Great info, I heard the 50W 8" bazooka and was impressed with the hard pounding bass it produced. The bazooka tube looks like it fits well under the seat, I was just wondering if the rear seats come in contact with the tube at all or if there is clearance between the speaker and seat. My kids ride in the back seats and I do not want the weight of the passengers resting on the tube. I cant decide between the single 100W 8" bazooka, the 250W dual 8" bazooka, or the two punch 10" with 250W amp. Any thoughts anyone?

#13 ·

It's good to know the company stands behind their product and is very familiar with installations in various models. Now that IS real product support!

#14 ·

Just installed using your instructions as a jumping off point for the 250w D series 8" bazooka tube. Just a few differences to note from your instructions, mainly due to the separate power input connector.

- Your power to this 250w unit has to be provided with a separate wire direct to the battery, so bye bye 1 hour install. The ground is also different, it is a (too short) thick black wire, both power wires are on a separate connector, and must be used, so don't bother with the red and black wires on the main FAST extension cord. (I will say it again in a different way: don't connect the red or black wire on the FAST extension, due to a different use for those pins on the connector, in this case I believe it is a High gain output). You do still need to connect the Blue wire of the BTAH to the red and yellow wire on the radio connector to turn it on.

The FAST extension that I received has a loop plug on a yellow wire which needs to be removed to disable the "auto sensing music on". The tube wouldn't power on in any other configuration for me.

You will need a separate, ~14 foot long suitable-guage wire to get to the battery, which needs to be spliced to the fused red line on the supplied power connector (only about 12 inches long). There is a grommet in the firewall behind the glovebox, it's difficult to reach from the interior so I advise feeding the wire starting at the battery end. The instruction booklet with the tube says to put the fuse close to the bazooka, but I don't understand this, it seems backwards to me because if there is a short somewhere along the run of the wire, the fuze should be at the battery end.

Ok, so that about sums up the differences. But I will add that I used the white wires on the BTAH harness as "right speaker" , and the grey wires as "left speaker". With each set I used the wire with the black stripe as the ground. I couldn't find any documentation or mention of which way you did it in your install, so I just decided Right and white both have 5 letters, and grey and left both have 4 letters, so that is why I chose to do it that way.

It's working and sounds really good, I am glad I don't have a less wattage version, because it isn't exactly booming, but it took me a long time to get the power run, mainly since I wasn't expecting to need to do that. I will definitely be adding the remote knobs because tweaking is quite important based on genre, IMHO.

TL;DR: The 250w D series version needs a direct battery wire, which is not included, so don't connect the red wire on the FAST harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.