Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

RTL mirror in RTS?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cisco 
#1 ·
I have a RTL and am upgrading to the auto dim mirror. My friend has a RTS and I was wondering if anyone knows if the RTS is prewired for the mirror. I would like to give the RTL mirror to him if it is.

Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
Hello,

I assume that your friend is interested in the compass that you get if you don't buy the navigation. I wish they all had the compass

While I cant say for certain whether the wiring is present on the RTS, I would expect it to be, however, it is certainly easy to find out.

I would download the installation sheet from HandA for the auto dimming mirror that you are interested in. It will show you exactly where to look for the harness. Basically you pop off the two lamp lenses, and remove two screws behind them and two more in the sunglass holder. The harness pig tail is taped up inside. It would also be easy to call/email HandA or your local Honda dealership ask whether the mirror you are wishing to install in your truck will fit in your friends RTS. If the answer is yes, then your extra mirror should fit your friends truck.

The compass only mirror requires only two wires, one to the ignition and one to ground. The auto dimming mirror only needs one additional lead that goes to the reverse/lamp circuit so that when you are backing up, the mirror doesn't dim. A mirror with temp has two more leads for the externally mounted temp sensor.

Do please review the OEM Honda dimming mirror install sheet. I have not personally installed this mirror. My experience is with installing a number of "OEM American vehicle" self dimming w/ compass and temp that I have purchased on eBay or at salvage yards into my own and friends foreign cars.

There are basically two major manufactures (Donnelly and Gentec/ Mito corp) of these mirrors no matter what they look like or what type of vehicle they are in, so I feel pretty sure that what I'm saying will apply to your specific question.

#3 ·
Done it! (Blue N-S-E-W compass type)

The only real PIA is soldering the wires to the back of the mirror since I could not find a exact match connector. As long as you can pass the hurdle, it is a piece of cake. I have really enjoyed mine. It was one of the first mods I did! The Honda auto dimming mirror instructions help out a lot!

Let me know if you have any Q's.....

#4 ·
tlaudio said:
Done it! (Blue N-S-E-W compass type)

The only real PIA is soldering the wires to the back of the mirror since I could not find a exact match connector. As long as you can pass the hurdle, it is a piece of cake. I have really enjoyed mine. It was one of the first mods I did! The Honda auto dimming mirror instructions help out a lot!

Let me know if you have any Q's.....
Thanks Guys, appreciate the help and tips. After I get mine in, I will help him with his.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.