Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How many miles can you go on a single tank?

65K views 246 replies 105 participants last post by  juiceweazel 
#1 ·
Just currious what the norm is?

#182 ·
Yeah. That's painful. 12.4 mpg.

Are those short trips Parsec?

#185 ·
Yeah, it's a 8 mile commute for me (30mph, lots of turns) to the train station 3x per week. Then I drive it on the weekends to run errands in suburbia (2 miles per trip). Due to my driving habits, I normally get an awful 14.5 mpg but now it's even worse with my first tank of winter gas!

#184 ·
I fill up when the light comes on or right before. I usually get 300 miles to a tank and the fuel mileage is usually around 16.5 :act002:
I am very disappointed with the fuel mileage. I was driving a 2008 Avalanche previously and got better fuel mileage. Before that I had a 2002 Avalanche and averaged around 16.5 with it as well.

#186 ·
Yesterday, I came within spitting distance of a 500 mile tankful. I filled up Wednesday in Louisville, and drove locally before beginning a trip Thursday to Hagerstown, Indiana. Of the whole tankful, only about 20 miles were not interstate.

I wasn't trying to stretch out the trip, and drove the normal 70mph or so on the trip up. I went north I-65 to Indy, then I-70 east. This area is not as flat as some parts, but for a mountain boy, it is flat.

On the return trip, I had a little headwind, so I waited until a couple of tractor trailers doing upper 60s to 70 caught up to me. I didn't do what I call drafting, but I stay about 100-150 feet back behind them so that I am out of the choppy turbulence, but in moving air. I hit cruise control and enjoy the ride.

I reached 469.9 miles back in Louisville where I filled up. The RL Range said I had 22 more, So, in theory I could have gone to 491. And then there is that extra reserve amount. If I had been a little more careful on the first half of the trip, I know I could have topped 500. Those last dozen miles would have been exciting!

My fill-up was 19.01 gallons. Mathematically, I got 24.72mpg. The RL readout said 24.8.

I am conviced a 500 mile tank is possible if the conditions are right.

Attachments

#189 ·
I am conviced a 500 mile tank is possible if the conditions are right.
Yep, I did it a couple of years ago. I was filling up when the picture was taken so the guage shows higher than it was when I stopped.

When I got to the gas station the tripmeter only said about 498 so I had to bypass the gas station, drive a little over a mile and turn around and come back. I was worried...lol.

Attachments

#187 ·
I'm getting around 360 per tank (22 gal). All in town driving, rare on highway. I do not drive like a maniac. I use 87 octane fuel (Shell, exclusively). When I do all highway it's 420 miles. When towing my dad's 15' boat it's 300 even with mostly highway. So around 16/17 in town and 20 on the highway (no tow), 15ish when towing. I just went over 10K on the odometer. 2011 RTL w/Navi. Crystal black.

#191 ·
Man that is insane,

I don't get anywhere near that mileage. I do 95% city driving, and it is maybe 3-4 miles each way, with a lot of stop lights, but I baby this thing.

I take forever to get up to the speed limit because of how much I baby it. Then if I am near 40, I'll get up to 48 to get it into 5th and then slow down from there to get that extra gas mileage.

The last fillup I did I got around 14.5 MPG and went about 270 miles (18.5 gallons).

I did just get brand new tires, that are larger, so that isn't helping, but with how much I baby this thing, I assumed I would get 16-17 easy.

On top of that, the RL was showing I got 16.5, so it was about 2MPG off. Anyone know how to fix that?

#193 ·
seriously how the hell are you guys getting 400miles... (u sure its not 400kms) ?

I get 270 miles on a full tank... from when the low gas light comes on to as full as it gets I get 270MAX.... and I hardly even hit traffic.. usually straight raods with very little red lights and hardly ever any stop signs.. 60% highway... 20% normal suburban streets with almost no stop signs... 10% traffic and 10% random red light green light red light green light

is there something wrong with my truck ? fuel filter maybe ?
I changed the air filter, good tires, not sure what else

but it is winter... so maybe its because of lots of wet road/snow
with the heat always on ? (does having heat on full blast all the time reflects on milege ?

#194 ·
Winter fuel formulation and use of the A/C compressor will cut into your mpgs. Yes, the compressor runs with the heat to dehumidify the air, unless you cut it off by pressing the AC switch.

But unless you are driving aggressively, your mpgs sound very low to me based on your description of your driving environment. What is your typical stage length?

When you say as full as it gets, what do you mean? Are you filling to the brim?

Back when I was filling practically to the brim, I could routinely get high 300's and low 400's per tank between refills. Now that I'm not doing that anymore, I'm down in the low 300's per tank in the same driving environment.

#195 ·
I meant I fill up to when the gas pump clicks off I dont pump more gas to try to fill it up to the very top top.. just when it licks off (from empty gas light )

I think total of 72 Litters gets me 270miles

and like I said I try to even let the truck roll
say I see a red light 1mile away id let go off the gas and let the car roll before I need to upply the brake instead of keeping my foot on the gas all the way until I came up to the redlight and then hit the brake

but still 270 is all I get

#196 ·
And how far do you typically drive between crank up and shutdown?

#197 ·
I drive arround 150 to 200 miles before refueling. But the fuel tanks reads that I can go 335 miles. I just don't like to let my tank get that low.

#199 ·
For the HVAC, I just punch the auto button and leave it alone unless I don't want the compressor running. In that case, a quick press of the AC button turns off the compressor. Touching either the AC button or the auto button turns the compressor back on.

Simple and easy.

#203 ·
From a full tank (no top offs when the pump 'clicks') to when the needle was level with the line at 'E' I had travelled 410 miles. That was 95% highway with CC @ 74 mph from TN to VA (road trip) with no A/C since it's been cooler at night. Not the best mpg but if I adjusted the cruise to speed limit of 70, I may have done a little better.

I usually don't run the gas that low, however, I wanted to test the miles for a full tank and had a set destination in mind that I knew had the best gas prices.

#204 · (Edited)
So how many gallons did it take to fill the tank after that 410 miles?

I recently had two consecutive tanks with 400.4 miles on them. It took 22.056 and 21.58 gallons respectively (to first click-off plus 1 gallon). That's 18.2 and 18.6 mpg on a road trip with some city mixed in... running 70 - 75 mph on the interstate portions, and some heavy rain portions. I also drove 56 and 47 miles into the low fuel light too. The AC was on for the entire trip.

I'm not sure yet, but my initial impressions are that my mpgs have dropped with the new tranny. I don't know if it needs some miles to get broken in... or if individual differences in the tranny contribute to the large mpg differences we note here at the ROC.

#205 ·
I drove about 290 miles yesterday and averaged 22.2 miles a gallon on the Highway . I was pleasantly surprised . My Jeep loving brother rode with me and he mentioned how the ride compared to a Cadillac .:act024:

#207 ·
Driving all highway, no A/C, 68mph, low fuel light came on at 412 miles. 4 gallons left when light came on. Also noticed city, daily driving that low fuel light came on at 350 miles and had 3 gallons left. Mileage- up to 18.5 city and have gotten 23.3 highway. '06 rts no tonneau, no fast starts, (try not to let rpm's go over 2 grand.) this improved city driving mpg by 1.5 mpg. 35 psi in tires.

#208 · (Edited)
Not sure about how many miles exactly. Usually the low fuel light comes on around 300-320 miles. Mixed city driving (15% interstate) usually yields around 17-18 MPG.

Took a trip to Franklin, TN (south of Nashville) from Memphis this past weekend. All interstate with cruise set at 75 both going up and coming back. Got 17.5. Low fuel came on around 315-320 if I recall correctly. :( Got 19.2 on previous tank (higher than normal) just commuting to work. Had A/C on during road trip.

I don't have an issues with the Ridgeline's MPG in my everyday driving, but I am disappointed to not hit 19-20 on interstate driving. My '98, 4WD K-1500 Suburban will get 15-16 on the interstate with the cruise set at 75. I think it's rated at 14 or 15.

I'd just be happy to get somewhere in the 19.5+ range for the Ridgeline. However, I'm not motivated to try to go without the cruise control and see if feathering the gas and dropping some speed to prevent from downshifting on some of the hill climbs would get me there.

#209 ·
I don't know how people are getting over 20mpg. I have a stock RTL with 58k and just a K&N stock replacement airfilter and I've been averaging 15. Unfortunately I drive mostly city and have to pass through 4 school zones every morning on my way to work. This past week it was 13.5! This truck is going to drink me to the grave LOL.

#210 ·
Get it out on the highway on a road trip and see how you do. If you have a short commute, 13.5 is not unreasonable.

I average ~17 in mostly city and some highway. Best I've seen is in the mid-21 range on a 400+ mile road trip. Lowest in the 14s. Upper 15s to low 17s is pretty normal in my driving... depending on time of year, traffic, etc.

Find some ethanol free gas and expect 1 to 2 mpg improvement. Of course, winter gas will hit you for a couple mpg too this time of year.

It is what it is.

#214 ·
My 2014 Ridgeline Sport (no lift, stock Michelin's, no tonneau or camper top, no roof rack, front mudflaps but no rear flaps)

Reads approx 350 miles to empty when I fill up. I got 27.8mpg yesterday going from Indianapolis to Louisville, KY with the cruise set at 68mph.
It will only get better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.