Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Door panel side protectors: Need insight and/or pics.

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  DeuceRon 
#1 ·
Question for ya: Trying to visualize how this would look. I own a polished metal metallic RL and was wondering if anyone has installed the OEM (or other makes) "black" door panel side protectors on it for the sake of contrast? As opposed to color matching. All I have seen are the color matched ones. I've tried a couple of different searches with no luck.

If you've seen one, could you post a pic for me? And if you haven't seen one... Thoughts on how it would look? I'm planning to powdercoat the OEM wheels black, and think that putting black door protectors on there might compliment them in contrast with that deeper grey body paint.

#3 · (Edited)
Here's a recommendation that will allow you to try it and also protect yourself against wasting money.

Order the moulding in to color match your car.

Plasti-dip them in flat black and install. If you wanted gloss black, get the plasti dip clear spray and topcoat the flat black to get gloss.

If they look good, great. If not, peel off the dip and you have the color matched moulding.

You could also always peel it off if you want a change in look and then dip them again if you wanted to switch back.

Give you the best of both worlds and protect your investment/spend.

There is a white RL I've seen on here where the owner installed OEM black. Personally, I didn't like it, but yours wouldn't be nearly the contrast as black on white.

#4 ·
Also, take a look at the sportwing moulding. Rather than "fill" the natural body lines like the OEM's does, this protrudes in the gap between the body lines.

Attachments

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and the link. Much appreciated. Now that I've seen them on a silver, I'm not sure if I'd want them on my grey. Although the grey is a little darker. As far as the OEM vs. Sportwing panels...I tried to like the sportwing one, but just can't do it. Filling those natural body lines are ok with me. To be quite honest, those body lines don't do it for me. They look anything but natural to me there. Can't quite make sense of them.

#7 ·
Personally, I think the two indents compliment the side of the truck. It's something a little different than the norm.
I chose the sportwing look however OEM looks good to me as well.

Unfortunately for you, there aren't many options to get rid of those unnatural body lines.

#8 ·
Just installed the Dawn Industries painted body side moldings tonight on my '07. The install was easy and straight-forward and they look great. Bought them off of eBay for $125 shipped to me.

#9 ·
Not sure about the earlier models, buy my inside door panels also have two indents, just like the door skins do.

Kind of a matching set..

#11 ·
#22 ·
I just ordered my painted body side molding from Dawn Enterprises on ebay.
Should be here next week.

They don't look like they will be hard to install. Do you center them between the door divots or line them up with the upper edge of the lower divot?

#15 ·
Here is a thread about the SportWings that includes information about the chrome trim that some people have installed: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5293

I recently installed SportWings on my doors and added the Ridgeline badges. I didn't try the chrome outline trim. I like the result anyway.

Attachments

#19 ·
#18 ·
Actually Dawn Enterprises is the manufacturer of the Sportwing molding, so if you're ordering Dawn, you're ordering the same thing as Sportwing. The tube mine were shipped in had Dawn Enterprises on the return label.

#20 ·
Debadge your tailgate and you'll only have to buy one!

#27 ·
Hey Everyone,

While we are on the topic of side moldings......

One of the 4 OEM moldings I had installed by the dealer when I bought my ridge is coming loose. Before it flies off, I'd like to reattach it. What should I use to do that? And is there a secret to removing it and replacing it properly?

Thanks.

#30 ·
If you remove it, you'll probably need to use fishing line and may ruin the 3M tape. It'll need to be replaced and I don't think that stuff is cheap.

However, if it's been loose for a while, the tape may be dirty and removing it may be the best bet.

Otherwise, you may be able to clean up the are and use some silicone adhesive to reattach it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.