Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

282K views 1K replies 156 participants last post by  csimo 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted a few days ago that I'd post some updates regarding the future of the Ridgeline. I had hoped to get some approval to give out some info, but nothing yet. Here's what I can say and all is just my opinion (and you sure can't find the info anywhere else):

2013 -- The 2013 Ridgeline is currently in production and should show up at dealers within a month. I wanted to post a list of changes, but can't. It's essentially a carryover vehicle... but a few changes include a standard rear view camera on all models, and improved roof structure strength. A few mentions of Bluetooth changes.

2014 - 2015 -- Here's what I can tell you... the redesign for the Ridgeline is APPROVED and under active development despite what any other press source says. The Ridgeline is not discontinued. The R&D guys are working on the 'new' Ridgeline right now. This is NOT the same 'new' Ridgeline that was originally planned for a few years ago (which I described as evolutionary rather than revolutionary). I would not use that same description today. I do not know many details. There have been media reports that the next generation Ridgeline may be based off the CR-V, but I think those reports are in error. Why do I say "2014 - 2015"? Because I expect it to be late. Will it be a late 2014 or early 2015? I don't know. I do not expect the current generation of Ridgeline will be built as a 2014 model year vehicle (2013 is the end)... so there is a possibility that there will not be a 2014 Ridgeline. If I had to make a wild a** guess I'd say we'll see a 2015 Ridgeline around March of 2014. I expect to see a complete new driveline that includes the new Earth Dreams technology and a 6-speed automatic transmission (possibly even a hybrid). No diesel.

In the event there is no 2014 Ridgeline that does not mean the vehicle is discontinued. There will be a next generation Ridgeline but there are timing issues that seem to me will cause delay (only time will tell).

See less See more
#5 ·
To me this is great news and thank you very much Joe for sharing this info. Looks like I will only be trading in my 2010 RL in 2015. Glad I updated my front grill (2012 Sport) and painted my 2009 RTL wheels like the 2012 Sport. Almost feels like I'm driving a 2012 Sport. Almost like going from a 2012 to a 2015.

Joe, do you know if the rear camera is in the tailgate handle like the curent RTL Navi?

J

#7 ·
Joe,

What casued Honda to back to the drawing board and re-design the RL? It gets expensive desinging a truck two times, especially one that is sold on such low numbers as the RL.
Do you think that Honda realized that the "new" RL would not be competitive and would be a dud?

#11 · (Edited)
It all comes down to money. The Ridgeline was not expensive to develop. Gary Flint and crew chopped a MDX into a pickup truck. Although nearly every part was tweaked for the original Ridgeline the basic platform and driveline components were already in place.

The next generation of Ridgeline will follow the same basic pattern. It will share a basic platform with another existing vehicle. All the parts will be designed for the new Ridgeline, but it's not the same as designing from scratch.

Why make major changes? The Ridgeline needs to lose weight and be more affordable. The Earth Dreams technology will improve MPG by about 10% but that's not enough to make the new Ridgeline competitive. The Ridgeline has been considered by most as overpriced.

Keep in mind that the current Ridgeline is the 'oldest' vehicle in the Honda lineup. Technology has come a long way since 2005 when the Ridgeline was introduced.

#8 ·
Thanks Joe.

I've been like a dog waiting for the mailman waiting to hear what you had to say.

I sure hope I can hold out until the next gen comes out. My '06 has 115K on it (yeah I know I should be able to get 300K) but this is the most miles I've ever put on a vehicle I owned. So the itch to buy something new is getting tougher and tougher to hold off.

As usual, thanks so much for the update. It's greatly appreciated. Guess I'll get that scratch on my right rear quarter panel fixed & get the inside detailed so she feels new again!!!

Bruce

#12 ·
Maybe Joe can elaborate but I assume there will be a new central audio with a screen much luke the new CRV. I don't believe for one minute that every RL will get Navi because of rear view camera.

#10 ·
I guess I need to post a clarification... nothing in my posts is based on official information from Honda or anyone else. Sometimes my opinion are nothing more than looking at various pieces of the puzzle that I get from various sources and then try to visualize the big picture.

I try and share what I think is true... most of the time I end up pretty close, but I get fooled once in a while.

#15 ·
Joe, thanks for the good info.

BTW, we will not allow you to trade out of the RL. If you do, we will hunt you down and.... well, you know the rest. :D

#22 ·
I told my wife that when I bought my brand new RL in 2007 it would last me ten years before I by a new one, if all works out and a redesigned RL is due out in 2014/15 and it is just as nice if not better than my current one and carries over until 2017, my current one will be ten years old and I can buy a new one.:act035:

#23 ·
I guess they could use another chopped up MDX again as the redesign of it seems to be complete. It is under going testing now maybe release as 2014 model.
The CRV & RDX are already out I would love to see an all new Ridgeline.
I myself would not buy one the MDX seems to fit what I wan't.
My sister will be in the market for another vehicle & the current Ridgeline has done a nice job for us.

#24 ·
I will definitely be looking at how the Ridgeline gets updated. I owned a 2006 (bought in April of 2005) that I sold to my brother in law a few years ago. That truck still runs like a top and he plans to be buried with it! I could not see getting back into a Ridgeline recently because I feel that I would be getting basically the same truck I bought in 2005 with the exception of some cosmetic changes. Thanks for the info Joe and keep us informed (without getting sent to sit in the corner).

#27 · (Edited)
Is the new RL going to basically be the same size as our current RL? If Honda is trimming weight are they trimming size? Is it going to have the same towing/hauling capacities? Will it have the same off road ability it has now, I would hate for it to be worse.

Just a few questions I have. Thanks for you insight Joe.

#32 ·
#33 ·
Thanks very much for the info, Joe. Don't know if I'd be ready for a trade even by 2015, but I like following the progress the new model will take at least...

- Chip

#35 ·
Joe is an independent that works closely with Honda (and several other car makers and parts suppliers). He is NOT a Honda employee and does not speak for Honda. What he passes on is not official information.

That being said, I'm glad to hear this. I'll be replacing my Ridgeline in about 3 years, and gen 2 will be available then. Yayy!

Chip H.

#36 ·
I drive a hybrid Coke truck and that thing will not even go up hills at a decent speed. I own a hybrid Camry and it has the atkins design. It also has 200 hp but I do not think it would be good at towing.

It will be interesting to see how Honda might incorporate the hybrid technology into the RL and still keep the towing capability at a decent level. Looking forward to the result.

BTW the back-up camera on my Tundra is in the rear-view mirror and it works fine--better than I expected.

#37 ·
Those big delivery trucks that are hybrids are usually hydraulic hybrids are they not? Which frankly should probably work better than an electric hybrid for giving a quick boost to get up a hill. That being said if Honda put big enough electric motors in the rear wheels they should be able to do the job. Most/all front loaders are electric due to the large torque delivery the electrics offer.

#38 ·
Personally, I have questions about the durability and reliability of hybrid vehicles even doing mild off-road activities through mud, sand and such.

They may do fine, but it sounds like an order of magnitude more complexity and potential points of failure to me.

Just an uninformed opinion on my part. I've driven a hybrid for a loaner and was impressed with the power. OTOH, my FIL has a Lexus 400H hybrid that is unable to climb an icy hill. Nice vehicle otherwise.

#39 ·
Getting water inside an electric motor would not work very well. They should be able to waterproof anything electric fairly decently though. I hope with the RL redesign they get the exhaust tucked up higher underneath the chassis to give more effective ground clearance. Bigger wheel wells for some slightly bigger tires wouldn't hurt either. I'd also have to say that throwing in air springs like the new Ram 1500 would have would go great with the RL. Better ground clearance, better highway mileage, and better load leveling ability.

#43 · (Edited)
All things considered, with the lack of updates on the rl, I would just be happy to see vcm added like many of the other j35 motors have had for years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.