Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Grille Lights and Headlight Strobes

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  qlake 
#1 ·
I just got my '06 RTL and was wondering if anyone has installed either LED grille lights and/or headlight strobes. I am a firefighter and EMT and would use the lights to get to the station or directly to the scene of an incident.

Right now I'm using my 12V DC operated dash light that I've had for years, and it's definitely time to upgrade.

#2 ·
Pretty sure that would be against the law, being your personal vehicle, no?

Anyways, I've seen tons online, including Ebay! ;act028:

#3 ·
Nope, not against the law to display them, but to operate them you need a blue light permit, which is obtained from the Chief of the department and filed with the DMV. In New Jersey, the rules for operation are:

-A permit must be in the vehicle
-Operation must be while en route to an emergency or to the station for an emergency call
-Operation is limited to the jurisdiction in which the station is located and responsible for covering, and the adjacent, surrounding towns

Use during any other time than responding to an emergency is illegal regardless of whether or not a permit is valid.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that lights are limited to blue, white, and amber unless the operator of the vehicle is a Chief or officer of the department, in which case red may be used as well.

#8 ·
Here in Texas, you will not make it to the fire. However, you will get to meet a bunch of nice guys and gals in blue and get three squares served to you until you make bail.

#11 ·
I just got my '06 RTL and was wondering if anyone has installed either LED grille lights and/or headlight strobes. I am a firefighter and EMT and would use the lights to get to the station or directly to the scene of an incident. QUOTE]
Cut Nater some slack, and answer his question. He only has 9 posts and surely not use to us posting such wise advise so quickly on a thread.

#12 ·
I just got my '06 RTL and was wondering if anyone has installed either LED grille lights and/or headlight strobes. I am a firefighter and EMT and would use the lights to get to the station or directly to the scene of an incident. QUOTE]
Cut Nater some slack, and answer his question. He only has 9 posts and surely not use to us posting such wise advise so quickly on a thread.
The advice given is very good, suggesting he has huge liability when activating emergency equipment on his POV (personally owned vehicle) whether permitted properly or not. Something to seriously think about.

I'm LEO and a firefighter, and I am permitted properly for my POV.

#14 ·
I appreciate you all looking out for me, however I am aware of the liability and implications of what I would like to do. Laws differ from state to state, and what I would like to do is permitted in New Jersey. I am not looking for legal advice, just light installation advice. I know your hearts are in the right place, though, and appreciate your concerns.

#15 · (Edited)
I have 6 separate LEDs and headlight wig wags in the front, with 4 different LEDs in the rear as well as rear strobes. I did not want to put holes in my headlights for strobes. All of the relays, siren and controls are located next to the spare tire in the trunk.
I mounted the switches in the little cubby right below the radio.
I attached a couple of pictures including one showing the Stalker Radar. Hey that's not used in fighting fires. :act002:

Attachments

#16 ·
Here in N.Y., blue lights facing front of a vehicle are reserved for the PERSONAL vehicles of volunteer firefighters. It does not make your vehicle an emergency vehicle, nor does it allow you to violate any traffic laws. It is to make other motorists aware you are responding to a fire, and they may grant you the right of way if they wish.

Only recently emergency vehicles in N.Y. were given permission to use the blue lights, and it may ONLY be displayed facing rearward to warn oncoming vehicles of your presence. Studies have shown that the blue is more visible that red or even amber.Green is reserved for volunteer ambulance, and red and clear are for police and other emergency vehicles. I know that this law changes from state to state. I was stopped in CT 25 years ago by the state police and ordered to remove my blue light from my dashboard, since it was reserved for police in that state. Obviously it wasn't even on, since I was not responding to a fire. I was on Rt. 95 on the way to visit a friend. Reminds me of how the gun laws are different from state to state. Very confusing.

#20 ·
@Rickman - I'm going to assume that he's an LEO and what you see are the interior pictures of an unmarked vehicle.

@qlake - does the sloped side bed interfere with the radar?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.