Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Question on Radiator connections

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  feetdry 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, Ive had my 06 Ridgeline (69k miles) for about 3 years and I frequently read these forums. I was reading up on the radiator connection issues that some people have unfortunately had and decided to take a look at mine as well. From what I can see they don't look all that great either. I had to use a mirror and light so the pictures are not the best but for those that have replaced their radiators what did you end up buying? I'm looking at the Silla brand 7370A I believe.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a popular one, most them are made by the same company. I believe there are only 2 after market radiator manufacturers many sold under different names. Koyo is the other brand I think. All have either a SS washer or brass to prevent the issue not only Honda but many other manufacturers are having.

These fitting can be removed one at the time and if a good washer with the same specs is found, that is all it will be needed to fix the OEM radiator, but no one has come up with that fix or shared it yet on this forum.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I ended up deciding on a Silla radiator and now just have to wait for its arrival. Its unfortunate that 2 corrosive washers have the potential to cause such issues and that Honda along with other manufactures use corrosive metals at such a critical spot.

#6 ·
Those who have addressed the radiator issue and posted here have all elected to change out the radiator. You have to pull the radiator to get to those fittings. So you won't save any labor. By the time you need to be concerned about those fittings, you might as well change out the radiator anyway.

Also, it's not just a plain washer... but a Belleville washer which has a concave face to springload tension.

#7 ·
Replaced mine with the Silla last July. I've had no issues or complaints with it. Seems to be of pretty good build quality. The fittings are very similar to what is found on the Odyssey, so I believe Silla or their parent company (whomever that may be) may build the stock radiators for the Ody. The stock radiators for the RL, Pilot and older MDX's, which are the vehicles that are experiencing this issue, are made by Denso. I still have the stock one that was pulled out of my truck after 115k miles and it seemed to be on its last leg. I have no regrets replacing the radiator at all.

#10 ·
Cool thanks for the pics, this is something I am going to be doing soon.

I am going to take my fittings out and figure out how worn or rusted my washers are, If I can just scrape clean them, paint them or put some naval grease on them I will save some money and prevent the issue. If they way too rusted, I will order a new radiator.

YikeS! worse thing I just got my Freaking B4 code, at 102K miles within 15% for my next oil change.

#11 ·
Might as well do that radiator change while the TB and WP are being done. ;)

Are you gonna have the valves adjusted as well?

#21 ·
The whole point for me was to reset the MM before the 15% to skip the B4 since I do not plan to change the TB until at least 120K. I guess now it's too late and when I do my oil I will be resetting all those codes. My valves are not super quiet or noisy, we will see.

If get to clean and restore those washers Ill post pics, most likely I will replace the cooling fluid or at least 1 full gallon once I either replace the radiator or fix the washers.

#13 · (Edited)
Ive got about 45k miles on a 2006. I just purchased one gallon. Used the gallon of new and if I recall needed a cup or two of the old. Of course had I been closer to the life expectancy of the old fluid then I would have replaced it all. This was just by opening the drain on the bottom of the radiator. I didn't open anything on the engine or water jacket anywhere so I didn't really concern myself with anything remaining in the engine as you would if you wanted to do a complete flush. I actually just purchased it in case i spilled anything significant and then thought to myself why not use all of the new and back fill with old if necessary.

#14 ·
When I drained my radiator and replaced the fluid, it took less than 2 gallons. The specs say 1.64 gallons for a drain and refill.

I strongly suggest you use an appropriate tool to eliminate air in the system:

#17 ·
I purchased mine from Auto Parts Warehouse and I had no issues with their service or delivery but there are various sites you can choose from. The silla radiator for the 06-08 ridgelines is 7370A not sure if its different for later years but the Silla website has a parts finder.

#18 ·
I purchased mine through radiatorexpress.com by calling them. There is a limited lifetime warranty on it, but there is also no guarantee which brand you will receive. You can buy the Silla on Ebay right now for $132 and free shipping.

#22 ·
Just wanted to upgrade the thread...I had a mechanic friend of mine install the new radiator with the honda coolant on sunday. I asked him if he knew about the issue and he said yes but it varies with manufactures and various radiators and the materials used etc. He also said that unfortunately with those connections its not a matter of if but when that trouble will arise. But im glad that its done and I have peace of mind.

#24 ·
To be honest I did not ask him if he thought there would be an issue with the silla washers eventually down the line. I was just happy to have it replaced haha. He simply said that if one intends to keep the vehicle for a long duration its certainly good to be proactive just encase something were to occur. I did ask him if it was strictly an import issue and he said that he had seen the same problem in some GMC's but did not specify the years.

#26 ·
From what I have read I believe Denco makes OEM replacements for honda which uses the same exact washers etc and Koyo and silla make aftermarket ones which differ. I guess people who have replaced theirs (from what I've read here) have gone with either silla or koyo.

#27 ·
From what I've gathered, the koyo and silla designs and materials used are very similar to those found on the odyssey. This issue seems to be a non-issue on the ody from what I've read. I do know the fittings on my silla are not simple steel. They are either brass or an anodized steel. Either way, I have full confidence the silla will last as long or longer than an OEM replacement. You also have to think this: if the OEM lasted for 5+ years, an OEM replacement should last that long as well. One would have 10+ years of ownership before this would ever be a concern again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.