Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Catalytic Converter Heat Shield Replacement $560????

28K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jack 
#1 ·
So I have had a weird screeching sound at around 2000 RPMs on my 2006 Ridgeline. After searching the forum it looked like the problem was related to TSB 07-028 (intermediate shaft heat shield is loose) so I took it to the dealer to get the heat shield replaced. After diagnosing my Ridgeline they are telling me the Catalytic Converter Heat shield rusted and causing the problem. I had both of my catalytic converters replace about a year and half ago, but I guess they didn't replace the catalytic converter heat shield. Now this dealer wants to charge me $560 total to replace a $40 part. Does this sound right or are they gouging me? Is it going to take that labor to remove the exhaust and catalytic converters and replace the heat shield?

#2 ·
Shane

This all depends on which CC you are talking about. There are front and rear cats (I'm guessing the ones u had replaced) and a lower CC. Also, the shields arent $40 from Honda. I don't have prices in front of me, but I can confirm on what we get for them tomorrow if you would really like. Anyways, the lower CC we get an hour to replace the shields, which is way less that $560...the front or rear ones however, are such a PITA to get out, that actually doesnt sound too unreasonable. However, if it were my vehicle, I would go to an auto parts store and grab a metal hose clamp (the screw types), and put it around the shield and CC. Taking those out is not my idea of a good time :), or a good job for that matter in our shop.

Hope this helps you!

...Skeeter...

#5 ·
Thanks for the information Skeeter. So, the CC heat shields that are a PITA to get to are on the CCs that are mounted up to the Cylinder Heads (I was looking up Honda parts and think I found them)? I put my Ridgeline up on ramps today and looked underneath it and the heat shields on the lower CC looked okay and didn't seem to be loose. So I guess my dealer is talking about either the front or rear CC heat shields. I may look for them tomorrow to see if that is what they are talking about. I am also still concerned that this problem is related to TSB 07-028. If they miss diagnosed it and I still have the problem $560 later I am going to be very annoyed. Also, how would I use the hose clamp on the front or rear CC? I can't imagine that I will even be able to get to it.

#4 ·
Ditto with my 04' Pilot

#7 ·
I've put crew type hose clamps on the heatshield that's on the front exhaust pipe and on the shield that sits right under the cab. Both were sources of rattles. Have not had to clamp the rear one (yet). Seems the screws and shields are made of tin or some other cheap metal and the mounts rust until they work loose. It's only a temporary fix with over 200k on the odo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.