Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

? about tire rotation

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MBB 
#1 ·
How are the tires on the Ridge supposed to be rotated. I know some vehicles differ. Do you simply swap out front for back or do you have to slide rear forward and criss cross the front to the rear. The dealership has been doing it and I 've just decided to start doing it myself.

Thanks,
Bam

#3 ·
I also switch front to rear, and do a tire rotation every 6 to 7,000 miles.

But just one note on this.....at my first maintenance visit for my '08 Ridgeline, the dealer rotated the tires, switching them from front to rear. My RL immediately started pulling to the right. Never had any problem at all with this until the tires were rotated. I called the dealer, and the service guy said I just needed to switch the left and right front wheels. They offered to do this, but I did it myself rather than drive all the way back to the dealer (35 miles away). Switching the l/r front wheels stopped the pulling. So...switching front to back may not always be the best answer to tire rotation. However, I do believe dealerships and most tire places do only a front-to-back rotation.

#5 ·
It sure does, and that's what I just did and all seems to be well. Hands off at 65mph and no pull, nor under braking on good smooth pavement.

I searched both sides of my stock Michelin LTX M/S 245/65-R17 tires and there is not directional wording or rotation arrow.

Backs to front swapping sides, fronts straight back...

#8 ·
From a tire guy: Freewheeling tires (the rears on a Ridgeline) tend to wear more unevenly than driven tires. They tend to get heel and toe wear on each tread block. Heel and toe wear is where the rear edges of the blocks wear off faster than the front edges do because of the way they hit the ground (think of your shoes when you're walking). Anyway, it helps to reverse that heel and toe wear by cross rotating the rear tires when they go up to the front because now they're rotating the opposite direction they were when on the rear. The front tires can go straight back, and if you always rotate this way, eventually each tire will run on every different corner of the truck. This is why the modified X pattern is the very best way to rotate tires. The myth about not cross-rotating radial tires was started years ago by a tire manufacturer in their early radial tire days, but tire technology has changed so much since then that that theory is no longer valid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.