Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Consumer Reports says RL Reliablity is AVG ..?

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  iROC 
#1 ·
2007 Honda Ridgeline by Consumer Reports

MSRP Price Range $27,800 - $34,940
Invoice Price Range $25,042 - $31,458

MSN Ratings
Expert 8.0
User 9.7

Overall Test Score
79 Read Snapshot

Ratings Snapshot
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTS V6

Consumer Reports Overview

The Ridgeline is our top-rated pickup. Honda's first pickup has agile handling and a ride that's supple and steady, like a good sedan. It features a tailgate that opens vertically or horizontally, and beneath the bed is an all-weather, lockable trunk. The standard 3.5-liter V6 engine is quiet, smooth, and responsive. Road noise is pronounced. The roomy crew cab is nicely detailed and easy to access. The five-foot-long cargo bed is made from composite material and has no wheel arch intrusion. While not designed for serious off-roading, it proved capable in most off-road conditions. Its 5,000-lb. towing capacity fits between most compact and full-sized trucks. Reliability has dropped to average.
For full ratings, results, and the
Consumer Reports Bottom Line
Price on this model, click here.
Consumer Reports Bottom Line Price

The Consumer Reports Bottom Line Price is the dealer invoice minus any holdbacks, national dealer incentives, and customer rebates.
Bottom Line Price Range: $24,208 - $30,410
Find out exactly what the dealer
paid with a New Car Buying Kit.

Road Test Results

Overall Rating
(Compact pickup trucks)

Highest Rated 79
RTS V6 79
Lowest Rated 40

Consumer Reports Recommended Alternates

▪ 2007 Nissan Frontier
▪ 2007 Toyota Tacoma

:confused: Do you think this seems to be correct from everyones experiences? Sometimes they are consumer Mis-reports! I thought the RL was above average???

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Based on what I read here, reliability for first-year Ridgelines isn't all that much better than for Ford or GM products. The twist is, of course, that CR's rating is now based on retrospective analysis of the first model year for the Ridge, compared with competitors' truck platforms that have been around for a while... Another factor is that (it appears that) a larger proportion of Ridgeline owners are not former truck owners & I wonder if that cohort may be more likely to take their vehicle in for warranty service than a "real truck" owner who views a defect as a good excuse to install Flowmasters & a spit cup.

I also wonder if every time a TSB is applied whether that counts as a "warranty defect" in CR's statistical system. I wouldn't regard a creaky steering wheel or water leak as a "reliability" issue, but I can see how those issues along might run down a statistical average...

#4 ·
Hez said:
So its rating is - or is the same as - the highest rating and it is "average"? Basic stats: if you are at the highest end of the scale, you are hardly average.
No, that's the Ridgeline's overall rating. Note that CR still states that "The Ridgeline is our top-rated pickup."

#5 ·
CR reliability ratings are based exclusively on owner feedback. Why is anyone surprised?

#6 ·
shovelhd said:
CR reliability ratings are based exclusively on owner feedback. Why is anyone surprised?
We sure are a picky bunch. ;)

Seriously, until I had this truck, all those annoying problems I had with my new Chevy & Fords, were just that- "annoying." Expectations for any Honda are way higher than mere mortal vehicles.

Still highest rated overall. I agree! Reliablity about the same as the others with many years of production? Not bad! :)

#8 ·
a larger proportion of Ridgeline owners are not former truck owners & I wonder if that cohort may be more likely to take their vehicle in for warranty service than a "real truck" owner who views a defect as a good excuse to install Flowmasters & a spit cup.
I was a "real" truck owner before I bought my Ridgeline. I owned a 1998 F150from new until 7 years and 70,000 miles old. I have now had my Ridgeline for 15 months and 20,000 miles and I have taken it in for every TSB it has needed just as I took my F150 in for every TSB it needed.

Why do you think that someone who owns a truck would drive an unsafe or un-repaired vehicle regardless of whether it was a "real" truck or not. Frankly, most people who own "real" trucks use them for their livelihood in some way or another and they cannot afford to have a vehicle not in service for any reason at anytime.

#9 ·
Well I have never owned a real truck, by some peoples standards. That is until now. I had a 93 nissan V6 extra Cab and a 2001 Toyota Tachoma 4cyl extra cab. No problems out of either of them. the Tachoma was 5 years old when I traded it on my Ridgeline.
I love my new ridgeline. I know it is still new.....but based on my past two honda civics, I am looking forward to a long troublefree experience. Honda held out for several years instead of just jumping in the marketplace to have a truck. They knew if they did that reliability would be an issue. They took their time and got is right. My Ridgeline may not tow as much as an F-150 or Tundra but it is perfect for me. According to consumer reports, they called it their top truck....That says something.
Tom

#11 ·
iROC wrote:
This is a real truck.
That ain't no real truck! It's one of them durn hybrids driven by electric motors. No real truck is powered by electricity. :D

#13 · (Edited)
BillB said:
Why do you think that someone who owns a truck would drive an unsafe or un-repaired vehicle regardless of whether it was a "real" truck or not. Frankly, most people who own "real" trucks use them for their livelihood in some way or another and they cannot afford to have a vehicle not in service for any reason at anytime.
Check the difference in your location & mine! ;) Truthfully, methinks you need to sprinkle a little humor on your Cheerios.

I believe that Ridgelines attract a higher percentage of "non-truck people" than, say, F150s or Sierras. Why? Because it drives better than a "real truck"®, it rides better than a "real truck"® & it is basically a more flexible vehicle than a "real truck"®. This is not to say that Ridgelines don't also attract "truck people," too. The flexibility factor, coupled with Honda design genius, is a big factor.

I learned to drive in a 1964 Chevy Apache 10. I've owned a Dodge Tradesman B-200, a Chevy S-10 & three GMC Sierra 1500s, in addition to my eleven Hondas. I decided I didn't want another "real truck"®. I wanted the best truck!

#14 ·
Sorry, iROC, same deal. All them big thangs got 'lectic motors in 'em. Not only that, but you can't get cold air intakes, lift kits, chrome wheels, tonneau covers or nuttin' like that. Heck, they ain't even 4WD. And you call 'em real trucks! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

#15 ·
Webwader said:
Sorry, iROC, same deal. All them big thangs got 'lectic motors in 'em. Not only that, but you can't get cold air intakes, lift kits, chrome wheels, tonneau covers or nuttin' like that. Heck, they ain't even 4WD. And you call 'em real trucks! :rolleyes: :eek: :D
$hitfire no, Billy Joe Web Bob! 'Round here we take thangs offin' our trucks, not put more on!

#16 ·
Webwader said:
I defer to superior knowledge, Webwader (of which I am sorely lacking!).

By the way... if they can make those behemoths with electric motors, why can't that be done with regular vehicles?

#18 ·
Tom Jones said:
Well I have never owned a real truck, by some peoples standards. That is until now. I had a 93 nissan V6 extra Cab and a 2001 Toyota Tachoma 4cyl extra cab. No problems out of either of them. the Tachoma was 5 years old when I traded it on my Ridgeline.
I love my new ridgeline. I know it is still new.....but based on my past two honda civics, I am looking forward to a long troublefree experience. Honda held out for several years instead of just jumping in the marketplace to have a truck. They knew if they did that reliability would be an issue. They took their time and got is right. My Ridgeline may not tow as much as an F-150 or Tundra but it is perfect for me. According to consumer reports, they called it their top truck....That says something.
Tom
Well said...

#19 ·
The major reliability issue appears to be 'body integrity', which CR defines as 'seals, weather stripping, air and water leaks, wind noise, rattles and squeaks'.

Here is their reliability history table for the RL (Excellent/Very Good/Good/Fair/Poor):

Engine Major.........E
Engine Minor.........E
Engine Cooling.......E
Transmission.........E
Drive System........ E
Fuel System..........E
Electrical System....E
Climate System..... .E
Suspension...........E
Brakes...............E
Exhaust..............E
Paint/Trim/Rust..... VG
Body Integrity.......F
Body hardware........VG
Power equipment......VG
Audio System.........VG

I would rate the body integrity of my RL as excellent (so far) but based on the number of 'body integrity' issues I've seen posted on this site, this seems to be an accurate assessment.

#20 ·
dbb said:
The major reliability issue appears to be 'body integrity', which CR defines as 'seals, weather stripping, air and water leaks, wind noise, rattles and squeaks'.
These would all be biggies for the '06 model year. Assuming that the water leak TSB is solved at the factory now, the only "body integrity" issues I'd note would be mediocre paint detailing & that design flaw in the driver's door seal (aka "the big butt busts seal" problem).

BTW, "the big butt busts seal" problem is 100% a design issue related to the inward curve on the rear door opening IMHO. Other than going to a solid seal, it's just going to happen eventually for a lot bigger-butted RL drivers...

#21 ·
djeaux said:
These would all be biggies for the '06 model year. Assuming that the water leak TSB is solved at the factory now, the only "body integrity" issues I'd note would be mediocre paint detailing & that design flaw in the driver's door seal (aka "the big butt busts seal" problem).
I have not posted anything about this, but I wonder if others have had this problem too. At first the Honda dealer said it was a clip issue when we first discussed this and then 2 weeks later he said that this required a "bracket" that was on order. :confused: I wonder if this is a "semi-known" issue. Anyway, it wouldn't take too many of these to drop the body integrity rating. :(

Attachments

#22 ·
geotech said:
I have not posted anything about this, but I wonder if others have had this problem too. At first the Honda dealer said it was a clip issue when we first discussed this and then 2 weeks later he said that this required a "bracket" that was on order. :confused: I wonder if this is a "semi-known" issue. Anyway, it wouldn't take too many of these to drop the body integrity rating. :(
Those 2 clips, 1 on either side, are the hardest part of reinstalling the nose. Definitely a 2-man job.

#23 ·
That looks horrible. As soon as I got my truck, I was wondering how others felt about the body integrity. The factory did NOT do a good job with the weather seals. Little bits stick out. I noticed it on all the RLs the dealer had. We've had some rain and I haven't noticed any leaking so that's all I'm really worried about. Plus, I drove the BMW the other day right after taking the Honda from a trip (better gas mileage on the BMW) and noticed how much quieter the Honda was. However, aesthetically, they did a pretty piss poor job on those weather seals by Honda standards.

But yeah, about the "real" truck comments. If this had been a real truck, I wouldn't have bought it. The non-truck qualities are why I'm in the RL instead of a Taco.

#24 ·
Check the difference in your location & mine! Truthfully, methinks you need to sprinkle a little humor on your Cheerios.
I wish I knew what you meant by above. You made a statement that basically said "real" truck people wouldn't take their trucks in to be serviced because they somehow were not so picky about how their trucks worked (that's the meaning I got when I read your statement). I said that was probably exactly opposite to how "real" truck owners felt about their trucks being in top working condition. Just my opinion, didn't mean to upset you and cause you to question my breakfast topping of choice.

#25 ·
By the way... if they can make those behemoths with electric motors, why can't that be done with regular vehicles?
Because they are behemoths. Weight is not a problem for these guys. The power trains consist of a large diesel engine powering a large generator which turn powers huge electric motors attached to each drive wheel. Not something you would want to have in your Civic. :) On the other hand, can you imagine the size a conventional drive train would have to be to power a truck that is capable of hauling 350 tons? Electric is the more efficient way to go in this case. When I worked for Cat in the old days the only off-road truck we built was a 35 ton model and even it was electric drive.

#26 ·
Webwader said:
Because they are behemoths. Weight is not a problem for these guys. The power trains consist of a large diesel engine powering a large generator which turn powers huge electric motors attached to each drive wheel. Not something you would want to have in your Civic. :) On the other hand, can you imagine the size a conventional drive train would have to be to power a truck that is capable of hauling 350 tons? Electric is the more efficient way to go in this case. When I worked for Cat in the old days the only off-road truck we built was a 35 ton model and even it was electric drive.
I see how that could be a problem. Thanks for the explanation, Webwader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.