Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Power Steering Fluid...

52K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  48218 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

Going by what I always go by...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27813

I see nothing as to when to change the PS fluid. Also, will Honda recommend what to do? Is it a flush and fill or a drain and replace?

I have an '06 with approximately 60K. Is it time for a PS fluid service or don't I have to worry about it?

Thanks!

#2 ·
My honda dealer does it at 60000 miles and they flush it and refill several times to remove any metal filings that came out. They also told me that they do it at 60000 miles because they have had several failures at 100000 miles when this was not done. Don't know if I beleive them or not but at the ~$95 it was worth the piece of mind. At the time I felt like I was being taken though.
None of my vehicles when I was growing up have ever had this done until the power steering pump would crap out around 100000 miles. Then you also have to have the steering rack flushed out as well to remove the fluid and metal shavings. Sometimes we have needed a new rack too. It never does feel the same afterwards though.

#3 ·
You can pull one of the hoses off the steering rack and drain it. Refill with only Honda Power Steering fluid. You will have to turn the wheel back & forth several times to get all the air out of the system (topping off the fluid between).

Alternatively, use a turkey-baster or syringe to suck what fluid you can out of the reservoir, then top-off with Honda Power Steering fluid. This obviously doesn't get all the fluid out, but you can do this more often with about the same net effect, and doesn't require you to get under the vehicle.

Chip H.

#5 ·
This posted reminded me of something that happened about 10K miles ago...

My RL has about 140K miles and around 130K my wife noticed an unfamiliar burning type smell from the engine. This happened only one time. Turns some of the the power steering fluid leaked (??) out somewhere and singed on a something hot. I honestly never saw a leak or anything out the ordinary but the power steering fluid was below the MIN mark. I simply bought some Honda PS fluid, refilled, and it seems to be fine now. Anybody have this experience? The dealer did not find any leaks? I have never had a PS flush on this truck or any other.

#6 ·
I am changing my PS Fluid using the turkey baster method, actually using a Mity-Vac. Am I correct to assume that one needs to pump out some old fluid, refill the reservoir, then drive the RL some and repeat the process several times until the fluid is mostly new? I read on another thread that it requires around two bottles (24 oz). This method would be similar to what is recommended for transmission fluid.

#7 ·
I was told by a dealer that you need 3 bottles to fully get rid of the old fluid. I would do the turkey baster method 3 times during a 1-2 month period.

Then one suck and fill with every VTM MM there after to keep fresh fluid in there. :act035:

#8 ·
Should be more than enough if you do it only 1X with every or every other oil change from the time the car is new.

#10 ·
Thinking I'm going to need to do this soon, too. Don't know when or if it was ever changed. Better safe than sorry, I guess. So, suck, fill, drive it for a week, suck, fill, drive it for a week, suck and fill, right?

#11 ·
chiph has some good tips on post #3 also if anyone is brave enough to do it, at least I will turn the wheels several times all the way in the process for the air to push and let the fluid flow in the system

#12 ·
I used a turkey basted turned the wheel a couple time looks and works as good as when I bought it.

#13 · (Edited)
I've never changed the PS fluid in a vehicle before. Never knew I needed to. I might have to look into this.

The OM says nothing dire about using other than Honda OEM PS fluid. However, the FSM does have an interesting note about the PS fluid, although I'm not sure why they tossed automatic tranny fluid in there:

And here's the FSM fluid replacement procedure. Looks like it will work best with all 4 wheels off the ground... or at least the front two wheels so you can crank up the engine and purge the system of fluid by turning the wheels back and forth with the hose off the reservoir. But it looks like that would run the risk of running the pump dry and/or cavitation. Perhaps the residual fluid provides enough lubrication for a short run to purge the system.

Links to the change procedure with a MityVac:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=648999&postcount=3
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43780&highlight=power+steering

To sum it up, lift the front (or the entire vehicle) to relieve strain on the steering gear. Suck out the reservoir. Suck the fluid out of the outlet tube (and maybe the inlet tube too).

With the engine off, turn the steering wheel back and forth and more fluid will come out. Suck this out too.

When you've removed all the old fluid you can, add fresh fluid to reservoir. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel back and forth to move as much fluid as possible into the system. Top off the reservoir again and put the stopper in place. Crank up the engine and turn the steering wheel back and forth to move move fluid throughout the system. Top off the reservoir and repeat as needed until the system takes no more fluid. Make sure the reservoir is at the full mark.

#14 ·
I've never changed the PS fluid in a vehicle before. Never knew I needed to. I might have to look into this.

The OM says nothing dire about using other than Honda OEM PS fluid. However, the FSM does have an interesting note about the PS fluid, although I'm not sure why they tossed automatic tranny fluid in there:
I never did this to 5 other cars I had either, maybe ATF is an emergency substitute , thanks for posting this section of the manual

#16 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the perspective, hawkeye16.

#17 ·
It could be that the Honda power steering fluid doesn't like ATF. Kind of like Brake fliud and ATF.

#18 ·
I have also had and have Toyotas currently and ATF is used in fhem for PSF.
I have turkey bastered and refilled them at every oc and have never had a PS problem.
I plan on doing the same with my RL.
Now I did have a Cummins RAM that torched PS fluid in its PS fluid hydo boost for the brake system setup.

#19 ·
Power steering fluid is one of the Honda-specific fluids that you need to use. Don't substitute with anything else. It's pretty cheap - like $4 a bottle (used to have an Accord that went through a bottle every 2-3 weeks, as the PS pump had a slow leak).

Good find on the drain method. Just need a small length of smaller-diameter hose and an assistant - no need to crawl under the truck.

They mention wiping up any spilled fluid - I don't know if PS fluid is like brake fluid (will eat paint up), but it wouldn't be a bad idea to just hose off that part of the engine compartment afterwards.

Chip H.

#20 ·
I did one drain and fill t baster method, just added the second one, looked dark stil after the first one.

You can do 2 fills with one bottle but just to the minimum level. That's ok since the 4th one may be the last, although if it looks clean after the third, I will not drain it all to have fluid above the minimum level. :act035:

#23 ·
Thank You!!
I was so impressed by the use of the MityVac 7201 procedure suggested that I bought my own fluid evacuator. It worked beautifully, sucking out all fluid, even pulling fluid from the bottom of the reservoir where the evac hose could not reach because of the filter screen in the reservoir.
I did install a new OEM reservoir at a cost of about $24, and cut open the old one to view the screen. In case anyone wants to see it, I'll include a photo.
After installing the new reservoir I kept the evac tube connected to the inlet, filled the reservoir with new fluid, and used the suction to "pull" the fluid into the system, being sure to turn the wheel numerous times left and right. After the new fluid was visible in the clear evacuation tube I stopped, fitted the inlet tube to the reservoir, filled the reservoir to the full line and started the engine. There was no screeching, howling, or any noise whatsoever because I had "pulled" fluid into the pump thus avoiding running a dry pump. Maybe this was excessive but the MityVac made the job easy, clean, and thorough.

Attachments

#24 ·
Glad you got it done! For some reason, Honda PS systems seem to live a whole lot longer if you change out the fluid, or at least part of it, regularly (frequently?). Perhaps low-quality fluid.

I will comment on a thing that I saw early in the thread: Honda PSF is significantly different from ATF in terms of its viscosity (thickness).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.