Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Added LCD monitor for backup camera in headliner

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Leonitrous 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone saw this because it was in another thread with a non-descriptive title.

The latest additions to my A/V system include an LCD monitor for the rearview camera, mounted in the headliner above the back window. As far as I can tell nobody else has done this.

http://www.thebaseonline.com/ridgeline/rlavinstall5.html

One of these days I'm going to do a writeup about how much difference having a camera makes in what you can and can't see when backing up. I'm definitely sold on having one -- it will be a standard option on every vehicle I own from now on. In fact, I think I need one on my trailer too. :cool:

#3 ·
I don't understand why you want a screen for your back-up camera in the back seat:confused:

#4 ·
I don't understand why you want a screen for your back-up camera in the back seat
My guess is that you are using the rearview mirror when you back up anyway. What a better place to mount the screen so you really don't have to move you eyes all that much from your intended field of view.
Personallly I think it's a great idea.:)

#5 · (Edited)
BIGGUY said:
I don't understand why you want a screen for your back-up camera in the back seat:confused:
When I back up I turn around and look backwards--I've had too many near misses to trust just my mirrors. Above the back window is the perfect place for the monitor so I don't have to turn back around to the front to see the screen. I can see at a glance, or even in my peripheral vision, what is right behind me. No more looking backward, looking forward, looking backward, etc.

#7 ·
djdj said:
When I back up I turn around and look backwards--I've had too many near misses to trust my mirrors. Above the back window is the perfect place for the monitor so I don't have to turn back around to the front to see the screen. I can see at a glance, or even in my peripheral vision, what is right behind me. No more looking backward, looking forward, looking backward, etc.
Great innovation doubledeej!! :cool:
I stuck a convex mirror there to help me see that the contents of the bed remain secure (after TWO bungees snapped! :eek: ). But the monitor has taken it to a whole new level!
It's thinkin' and reportin' the details like this that makes the ROC what it is!
The best, most informative automotive site on the planet! AFAIC! :)
Keep up the moddin' dude! You ROC! :cool:

#8 ·
Hey DJDJ, You've helped me in the past and I'm looking for a little more.....:)

I've seen a rear view monitor that slides out from behind the rear-view mirror,(pimp my ride). (It slides out to the right)

Have you ever seen this product?
Your ARE the authority on these types of products.:D

#9 ·
hwycycle said:
Have you ever seen this product?
Your ARE the authority on these types of products.:D
No, I sure haven't! Sounds interesting. If you end up finding it post a link here if you don't mind.

I'm not much of an authority, though... I don't actually keep up on whats current in the car audio/video scene that much. Since I'm pretty happy with the equipment I've got I don't have the desire to stay up on it. I'm a lot better helping with the principles behind audio/video/electronics than knowing what products are out there.

#11 ·
Well thanks anyway, I will definitely post it, if I find it.

#12 ·
#13 ·
You're the man... Thanks.....

#14 ·
I don't know if anyone saw this because it was in another thread with a non-descriptive title.

The latest additions to my A/V system include an LCD monitor for the rearview camera, mounted in the headliner above the back window. As far as I can tell nobody else has done this.

http://www.thebaseonline.com/ridgeline/rlavinstall5.html

One of these days I'm going to do a writeup about how much difference having a camera makes in what you can and can't see when backing up. I'm definitely sold on having one -- it will be a standard option on every vehicle I own from now on. In fact, I think I need one on my trailer too. :cool:
Is there somewhere else you're keeping the mods? I keep reading that you have awesome mods but the website isn't loading! I am specifically looking to add a power socket to the center console but would also love to check out all your other stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.