Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Michelin LTX's to be discontinued?????

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  djgonzo007 
#1 ·
The Michelin LTX's that came stock on my RTX are in a word "outstanding" I called Tire Rack to ask about PIAA lights and just asked about the price. The Tire Rack saleman said that to expect the tires to be discontinued soon. When I further and asked him to define "soon" I was told with with in 18 months. Sooo my question is....should I buy 4 tires and store them in my garage? Also how long can I store the tires. Is this a prudent thing to do or just wait to what ever replaces the LTX. Thanks in Advance.

#2 ·
I have over 2/3 tread left on mine after 16K miles and would love to sell them to buy something beefier. I know they are good tires, but I want something more agressive but cannot bring myself to waste a perfectly good tire, but at this rate it will be two more years before I can get the tires I want. I dont know what I could get for them though or if anyone would be interested.

#4 ·
They are probably discontinuing them because they don't wear out fast enough.

If you do store tires but them in Black heavy duty trash bags and store them out of the cold.

#5 ·
I think this is unlikely at best. I think the LTX M/S is their best selling SUV/Truck/Van tire. Could you imagine Honda discontinuing Accords?

#6 ·
I too question the truth in the dicontinuance statement. I have been using these exact same tires for almost 10 years (8 years on F150 and 2 on RL) and see no reason for Michelin to pull the plug on a well received product. However, if Michelin does retire the model, there are quite a few replacement brands out there now available for our size tire and this was not the case a couple of years ago.. Take a look at the very highly rated Goodyear triple tracks that Tire Rack has as the #1 overall All-weather tire in the Michelin class. Michelin LTX was about #8 in overall ratings in that class, but still it received strong ratings on average across all catagories tested.

#7 ·
BillB said:
Take a look at the very highly rated Goodyear triple tracks that Tire Rack has as the #1 overall All-weather tire in the Michelin class. Michelin LTX was about #8 in overall ratings in that class, but still it received strong ratings on average across all catagories tested.
I have used both the Goodyear's TripleTred and the ComfortTred. TripleTred was on a '99 V6 Accord, WOW what a tire! It turned my sedan into a performance car. I was able to take corners faster than I ever thought the car could and the way it sucked up puddles/wet roads... AMAZING! I LOVE THIS TIRE! I am not going to look it up, but I thought they only went up to a certain tire size, which didn't include the OEM for the Ridgeline. But don't quote me on that

The ComfortTred has had people complain about uneven wear and even I had some issues with it on my previous '03 Chevy Tracker convertible (235/60x16) so I will not get that one again. After a short period of time, I would get unbalance issues, it was a recurring problem.

#9 ·
good riddance ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.