Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How Long Will The OEM Battery Last

15K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  laserguy 
#1 ·
50 months on my battery, hoping it will make it until the 2013's come out. That is if there is a 2013!!

#3 ·
Ditto here on the OEM battery, in spite of my best efforts to kill it. ;)

#4 ·
You're already on borrowed time. Most people don't consider that an old battery can be costing them a lot of money. An old battery may not be able to provide the cranking amps needed for the starter to operate efficiently... this caused excessive wear. The resulting voltage drop is not good for the ECU and other components that are designed to operate at a constant voltage. Then once the vehicle is started the alternator is under additional stress to charge a marginal battery.

There are batteries with a dead cell that will still start the vehicle but they cannot maintain proper voltage... the result is the alternator is working hard to try and charge the battery to a voltage it cannot obtain (lower MPG and stealing horsepower). If an electronic component (like the ECU) can't get the right voltage the only option is to draw more amperage... that means more heat.

Yes, even new batteries can go bad and cause the same problems, but the odds are much greater that an old battery is causing such problems. That old battery can be costing you thousands rather than the $100 (or less) that it costs to replace it.

I don't like the trend in new lead / acid batteries. They're mostly sold by their cold cranking amp ratings. The manufacturers know this so they just put thinner plates and increase surface area in the battery to up the CCA rating... but that results in shorter life. If you go by reserve capacity that makes a deep cycle look better... but I'd never recommend a deep cycle battery as a starting battery. The lead / acid reaction has a limited life and any modern battery that's 3 years old has all its better days behind it.

#5 ·
So basically you're saying that preventative maintenance good practice is to replace the battery every 3 years. Correct?

Hmm. Does anybody do that?

#7 ·
Generally, I am too. But I tend to let the batteries go until I can tell they're fading/failing. I never considered the effect that might have on associated components. Excellent point for those of us who buy and drive for the long term.

Same for the PS fluid too. But that's just another easy fluid change.

#9 ·
Since I only have a little over $25K miles, the truck has been well maintained, and the truck has been garage kept all of the 4 years - a few 2/3 day vacation trips. I am hoping to hang on for the 2013. If no 2013 or I cannot get a reasonable trade, then all the fluid changes, new battery, and new tires all the way around and hope for another trouble free 4+ years.

#10 ·
Mine is garaged too. There are few days when it's been parked outside unless being used, even during the day.

I don't know if that makes a difference on battery life or not.

#11 ·
Don't know about extending battery life by being garage kept, I do know it has been good for the paint and finish. Nothing but soap and water and looks as good as showroom new!!

#13 ·
My 2007 RL's battery was replaced under warranty at about 26 months. It was replaced with a 100 month Honda battery, we'll see how long it lasts. My RL goes from garage to parking garage in Nebraska. It experiences hot and cold, but not to extremes as others might experience. There are other threads on this, but it seems that there were battery issues in 2006-2008 RL's.

Wren

#28 ·
How do you use those? Plug it into the cigarette lighter and then pull the battery? No reverse current flow to deal with?

#19 ·
Here in the south we wait for it to start acting up. But I watch and listen for problems. I drive my wife's car regularly just for that reason, to watch and listen for any possible problems. But my 09 is almost ready for new tires at
60k on the first set, I've got a feeling I might have to do a little more than in the past to keep it running and safe.

#20 · (Edited)
I waited for mine to die. No problems before or since I replaced it! :act064:

WARNING: Your Battery may already be dead by the time you read this! :act060:

Sorry, but there is already enough junk in our land fills to throw stuff in prematuraly!!!!!!

#21 ·
Going to the dealership tomorrow for an oil change; I will get load test on the battery while I am there. If weak, I will go ahead and replace it, if they try to rip me off on the OEM replacement, I will get one at Sams while the wife is filling up the shopping cart.

#23 ·
Just Googled batteries at Sams at the Murfreesboro, TN location. Duracell with 36 month replacement and 96 month warranty for $74.87.

#22 ·
My battery was replaced--under warranty--one day short of the end of the 36-month warranty. Just happened to have "Pearl" in the Honda dealer for an oil change and noted the battery not producing.

I've wondered for the past year+ whether this was necessary; after reading this thread, I've been reminded that the dealer was not scamming Honda.

#24 ·
OTOH, if we should replace batteries every 36 months regardless, why pay for an extended term battery?

#25 ·
Never had to replace a Honda OEM battery, but never kept one over 3 years. Not going to dealership tomorrow, just lucked up on a super discount on a room at the Pigah Inn on the Blue Ridge Pkwy for tomorrow night. Battery can wait until next week. Guess I will be traveling in the CR-V; economy reasons only!!

#26 ·
Sorry, but there is already enough junk in our land fills to throw stuff in prematuraly!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I sure HOPE ROCers are not letting there lead acid battries go to the landfill.
All lead acid battries are re-cycleable.

#30 ·
52 Months (in my case). Dealer noted that battery tested a bit weak at the last service and while doing some maintenance last weekend it was dead after using the radio for about 30 minutes. Given the age and a planned road trip over the last week I swapped it out with an Optima Red-Top

#34 ·
It's cool. I've gotten another one that is 5 watts and I have it hooked to the boat. It keeps the battery nice and topped off.

#36 ·
Getting an oil change and filter at the dealership yesterday, I asked them to check the battery under load. Came back with the news that battery is OK. Not bad after 50+ months. BTW, they did offer to change my brake fluid for $59.95!!

#37 ·
Honestly, that's not a bad price for a brake fluid change. $60. I'd be tempted to take them up on it unless I needed to take the time to get out all my gear and lift the RL for other work anyway.

#39 ·
The brake fluid changing is all new to me. I have had dozens of vehicles over too many years and the RL is the first to ever mention changing the brake fluid. Knowing it is a compressible liquid that actuates the brake cylinders, what causes it to need replacement?.....just asking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.