Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Quick Ridgeline vs Tacoma comparison

46K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
Below is a quick Quick Ridgeline vs Tacoma comparison that I made up while trying to make up my mind on which to buy. Feel free to point out where your opinion differs or I've made a mistake.

This isn't intended to be a general guide. I made it just for myself. You may not find it useful in your comparisons since you're needs are likely to be different, but I'll share anyway.

Quick Ridgeline vs Tacoma comparison
--

Engine
Honda Ridgeline = 247HP, 3.5L, V6
Toyota Tacoma = 236HP, 4.0L, V6
Winner = Ridgeline

Transmission
Honda Ridgeline = 5 speed automatic, no low-xfer
Toyota Tacoma = 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic
Winner = Tacoma

Clearance
Honda Ridgeline = 8.2"
Toyota Tacoma = 9.4"
Winner = Tacoma

HxWxL
Honda Ridgeline = 71.2"x77.8"x206.8"
Toyota Tacoma = 70.1"x74.6"x208.1"
Winner = Draw

Bed width x Length
Honda Ridgeline = 49.5" x 60"
Toyota Tacoma = 41.5(wheel wells)/56.7 x 60.3"
Winner = Ridgeline

Turning diameter
Honda Ridgeline = 42.6"
Toyota Tacoma = 40.7"
Winner = Tacoma

Offroad-worthiness
Honda Ridgeline = Can do, but big and lack of clearance
Toyota Tacoma = It's the standard
Winner = Tacoma

Interior
Honda Ridgeline = Nice, Roomy, Truckish
Toyota Tacoma = No moonroof, truckish, not as roomy nor attention to details. Probably more rugged
Winner = Ridgeline

Fuel Mileage
Honda Ridgeline = 15/20
Toyota Tacoma = 15/18
Winner = Ridgeline

New-tire cost
Honda Ridgeline = $130 each
Toyota Tacoma = $120 each
Winner = Draw

2008 built-out price
Honda Ridgeline = $37K
Toyota Tacoma = $32K
Winner = Tacoma

--

The interior means a lot to me, and the Ridgeline beats the Tacoma in that area. If I wanted more rugged, then I would go with the Tacoma.

The Ridgeline looses to the Tacoma in many areas, but I have a subjective preference for it.

The Ridgeline engine is a little more powerful, but the Tacoma offers a more efficient 4-cylinder.

The measurements for the Tacoma's bed was for the short version. The Tacoma also has a regular and extended bed, but my comparison was just for the short bed.

The Ridgeline's turning diameter is a big negative. Consumer Reports agrees with me on this one.

On price, the Tacoma smacks the Ridgeline, for the buildout that I was looking at. Fortunately, I don't have a cash problem right now.

The Tacoma offers many many more options and after-market parts. The Ridgeline is weak on both.

The Toyota Tundra isn't a good comparison, and the Avalanche offers far more features and power than the Ridgeline, but at a substantially higher cost.

See less See more
#2 ·
jMoMo,

What are you including in your "Built Out" price? I bought my 2007 RTL w/navi in Oct 06 for $32K. That included the towing hitch and bike rack. Are the 2008s running that much more than the 2007s sold for when they were new?

#3 ·
Lots of features went into those numbers on both the Ridgeline and Tacoma.

On the Ridgeline;

Roof Rack $305
Running Boards $419
Trailer Hitch $325
Trailer Hitch Harness $169
Body Side Protectors $399
Chrome Bumper Trim $499
Fog Lights $339
Fog Light Switch $29
Fender Flares $599

I don't have the info on the Tacoma side any longer. Those Ridgeline plastic body parts are stupid-expensive.

#4 ·
I guess it all boils down to how much off roading you are really planning to do with a $30k + vehicle.

I drove a Tacoma and thought that it was ok. If you are planning on using it as a daily driver and 90% of your driving is going to be on anything above a fire road, the Ridgline is the clear winner.

The turning radius takes a bit to get used to but it really doesn't come into play unless you are planing on doing a whole lot of tight turns. I have learned to adjust to the turning radius. It was a big deal for about 2 days. After that I was over it.

As for the build out price, you might consider a couple of things that the tundra doesn't offer.

1. Trunk
2. Real time 4wd
3. Not having to sand bag the truck bed in the winter time.
4. 6 airbags
5. 3 baby seat support anchors. (I just learned the importance of this function last week.)
6. Real fold up seats with real useable space.
7. An indestructable bed. (Although it scratches easily but hey, it's truck after all.)
8. VSA
9. Rear disk brakes
10. Independent rear suspension.

I don't agree that the RL's interior is truckish. Yes it is a truck but the seats IMHO are very comfortable, the leather is nice and the layout and storage are top notch. (except for the VTM and VSA switch positions.)

Its your money. One of the biggest reasons I bought the RL is that not everyone has one. I like to be individual. It seems to me that there is a Tacoma or Avalanche at every corner. RL's are a more rare sight.

The ride and handling are better in the RL as well.

I went to Toyota's website and built Tundra that is similar to a RTL w/o Navi and came up with a price of $29,800 which BTW cannot be had with a leather interior so I don't see there being a price disparity. I didn't throw in any option but floor mats (??) and the bed boxes since the Tundra doesnt have a trunk.

I like the RL. Take one out on a 20 test drive and take the crap that you haul around with you every day. Don't just take it around the block and don't forget your car seats if you have small kids. You'll see why we are Ridgeline owners.

Did the Toyota dealer let you know that the V6 Tundra requires super unleaded gas? The Ridgeline will run on regular.

#9 ·
I guess it all boils down to how much off roading you are really planning to do with a $30k + vehicle.

I drove a Tacoma and thought that it was ok. If you are planning on using it as a daily driver and 90% of your driving is going to be on anything above a fire road, the Ridgline is the clear winner.
I agree with you here. In my case, I drive literally two blocks (walking distance) to work and back each day, so the regular commute gas mileage isn't an issue. I mostly need it for going out on the weekends. I'm an avid hiker, so I need to get the base of the mountain, but not up it. I also take a couple of guests with me and some gear in the back. If it wasn't for the need for some roomy back seats, I probably would have gone with a Tacoma instead.

I actually considered a Highlander Hybrid for awhile, but I wanted the bed, and the Highlander Hybrid is specifically "Not for off-road use". If Honda were to make a Hybrid Highlander (which there are some rumors that they might do), it would have been a no-brainer for me.

As for the build out price, you might consider a couple of things that the tundra doesn't offer.

I wasn't comparing the Ridgeline to the Tundra.

I don't think the Tundra and the Ridgeline really compare. They are not in the same buyer segment.

I don't agree that the RL's interior is truckish. Yes it is a truck but the seats IMHO are very comfortable, the leather is nice and the layout and storage are top notch. (except for the VTM and VSA switch positions.)
I meant "truckish" in a positive way. It's a good mix of truck and passenger vehicle. I agree with you about the placement of the VSA switch down on the lower-left side of the dash -- not where I would have liked it.

The ride and handling are better in the RL as well.
I agree with you here, though I was very pleasantly surprised with the Tacoma's ride. I have no idea about the Tundra.

#6 ·
Tools of the trade.
What is the right or best vehicle? What is your indented use of the truck. We choose the RL because of the rainy NW weather and snow packed mountain passes. I wanted a super safe vehicle with awesome 4WD technology. The only time we go off road is, well never. The interior is roomy and comfortable for 4 adults with very easy entry and exit.

I think Toyota makes great vehicles; is Toyota better/same/worse than Honda? Both companies have proven themselves.

Tacoma vs Ridgeline. Both are great trucks, purchase the one that meets your needs.

#7 ·
When I was shopping and test driving trucks I really liked the look of the Tacoma. Then I got in one, or rather tried to get in one. I had no leg room what so ever. And I could get my long legs underneath the steering wheel. If anyone with long legs is going to be driving your Tacoma. Forget it.

However I did look at the Toyota Tundra. Took that out for a test drive and had plenty of leg room. However the truck is huge. Far bigger then what I want to be doing with it. I did like playing around with the Shift Tronic Transmission (or whatever it is they call it) Was also disappointed with back seat leg room. I think the Ridgeline is the only car I've ever been able to say that I can fit comfortably in the back seat.

#10 ·
I didn't have this problem with the Tacoma, but if you are taller than I am, this could be an issue. I'm about 6'2", around 150 pounds, kinda skinny.

The Ridgeline definitely had more legroom, or so it seemed to me.

As for the back seats; that was a major selling point to me. If I'm going to be taking some guests out hiking with me, I don't want them being uncomfortable. Plus, they fold up for some major inside-storage room.

#11 ·
Below is a quick Quick Ridgeline vs Tacoma comparison that I made up while trying to make up my mind on which to buy. Feel free to point out where your opinion differs or I've made a mistake.

2008 built-out price
Honda Ridgeline = $37K
Toyota Tacoma = $32K
Winner = Tacoma

The Ridgeline engine is a little more powerful, but the Tacoma offers a more efficient 4-cylinder.

On price, the Tacoma smacks the Ridgeline, for the buildout that I was looking at. Fortunately, I don't have a cash problem right now.

The Tacoma offers many many more options and after-market parts. The Ridgeline is weak on both.
This is the weakest comparison that I've seen yet. Where is your interior room spec? where is the seating position? Usable backseat space? overall utility? road noise? comfort?

As with anything, what good is something cheaper than another if you hate it. I call it the "seat of your pants" value. Since I don't care to price out a Tacoma, I find it impossible to believe that the same features can be put on the Tacoma and be priced $5k less. No freakin way. Tyota just doesn't have the same features, so yeah, you can pick and choose to compare a subset of items, but you're doing yourself an injustice by not comparing everything.

Yeah, the Tacoma has many more options, that's because everything is an option that you get the privilege of paying for.

My butt says that teh Ridgeline is what a truck should be like, end of comparison.

#13 ·
I do not think that the measurements are a toss up between the Tacoma and the Ridgeline. The ridgeline is taller with a lower ground clearance which equates to more interior room in height. Also, the width of the ridgeline is greater enough to show up as more shoulder room. The tacoma can't be had in a version that compares to the rl, especially if the RTL version is considered with or without navigation. To me the RL was a hands down winner when I compared it to the other trucks.

#15 ·
Traded my 2006 Tacoma Off Road PreRunner 4x2 for the 07 RTS Ridgeline. I thought my Tacoma looked great and the RTS looked ugly. So, what was that song......."if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife". I guess that about sums this topic up :D Oh, she don't look ugly to me no more, ha ha ha.

#16 ·
#20 · (Edited)
Okay, I think I can help to further muddle up this mess.

I used to drive a 2003 Toyota Tundra. Paid cash, still miss it. FUN truck. It was rated at 245hp for its V8 (for 2003, pre SAE system), rear-wheel drive and no electronic stability gizmos or doodads. It had that off-the-line V8 punch and kick. The new Tundra blows it away with its demoniacally powerful 5.7L V8 engine. The Tundra has always been a great truck and many have, and still dismiss it because it is different.

But, the Tundra is an orange and we're talking about apples here. I just had to get that out and clear up the air.

Trading in my Tundra was more of a spontaneous realization that, well, that backseat in the Access Cab was far from "accessible." I didn't need to immediately trade in, but I had grown tired of the leg room issues plus other issues. I had far from gotten tired of the Tundra itself, and still miss it.

I had considered the Tacoma, but, well after looking at it it wasn't the right choice. I didn't like the light rear end with the ENTIRE (bed panels, too) being plastic and reading of the bed cracking under extreme conditions. Also, the rear seat leg room (I have to sit in my own back seat at times) STILL was tight despite the 2005+ Tacoma's size equal to the old Tundras. The front seat wasn't much better and the dash wasn't well laid out. There have also been silent recalls on some Tacoma's such as for the brake cable on the emergency brake release not being secured (could come apart) and for bed rattles and noise. Many people have complained on how noisy the bed, even now, can be over rough terrain.

Honestly, the best mid sized trucks in my opinion are either the Ridgeline or the Tacoma. They both have issues, but it is a matter of what you need. Better in-city vehicle, the Ridgeline, or the more off-road capable Tacoma.

#22 ·
I bought my 06 rtl for $34,900 with the tow package, bed extender and roof rack included. That last read was a better representation of differences between the taco and the rl. It reafirms why I bought my rtl, it had everything that I wanted plus some that I did not know that I would want. Once you have been bitten by the RL bug, it is darn near impossible to go back.:)

#23 ·
What I may do is go and test drive a similarly equipped Tacoma for giggles. I would like a Toyota guy to explain why everything is an option.

#24 ·
As far as options go, you've got to shop around. Period. I've had different dealers give me different quote, some as much as $300-$400 more on the same install (tow package). When I bought my RL in April, 2005, I was quoted $1,000 ( :eek: ) to install the tow package. Keep in mind it was new then. I opted not to, but did so 4 months later at another dealership for $400 less. The original dealership still wanted $1,000.

So anyone can jack up $5k on accessories but if you shop around, the real price may be much less. Price out the options elsewhere, including www.handaaccessories.com

I liked the online comparison because it was truck to truck, nothing added.

Do Tacomas come with navi? Sunroof? Leather?

I am not knocking Toyota at all. They are good vehicles. But if one is going to compare, look at the basics and look what you get for your $32k and see what you don't get for the $30k.

If there were no such thing as a RL, I'd be driving a Tacoma. (But then I wouldn't have met all you great folks now, would I? :p )

#28 ·
Yes...seems like EVERYTHING is an option on the Tacoma. When I was looking for a truck, before I bought my RL, I went and took a serious look at the Tacoma. Actually, before I saw the ads for the Ridgeline, I was trying to make my mind up between the Tacoma or Frontier.

Anyway, for the 2006, extended cab, 4 wheel drive, Tacoma, the head curtain air bags for all passengers in the vehicle was part of a $1,200 option. I had this amount figured into my purchase price. After I saw the ads for the RL and saw that the head curtain air bags were standard...I thought, "...yeah....they SHOULD be standard".

I took a RL, Tacoma, and Frontier over the same segment of road, which included washboard road going into a corner, and the RL handled it the best. For my needs, the RL was the biggest bang for my buck.

I know the Taco and Frontier are engineered more towards the off-roading type, with the higher ground clearance and stiffer ride, but for me the RL was the best overall vehicle for my uses.

#32 ·
Engine
Honda Ridgeline = 247HP, 3.5L, V6
Toyota Tacoma = 236HP, 4.0L, V6
Winner = Ridgeline
Eh... maybe.

Ridgeline = Torque: 245 ft-lbs.
Tacoma = Torque: 266 ft-lbs.

Fuel Mileage
Honda Ridgeline = 15/20
Toyota Tacoma = 15/18
Winner = Ridgeline
Dunno.. I am seeing..

Ridgeline = 16/21
Tacoma = 18/21

The big thing you missed is towing..

Ridgeline = 5000 lbs
Tacoma = 6500 lbs.

I was going to buy a tacoma, but Honda Finance had a much better deal than Toyota Financial.

As for the guy that said the back seat of a Tundra sucks, try the Crew Max. It's a lot bigger than the D-Cab.

#52 ·
Eh... maybe.

Ridgeline = Torque: 245 ft-lbs.
Tacoma = Torque: 266 ft-lbs.

Dunno.. I am seeing..

Ridgeline = 16/21
Tacoma = 18/21

The big thing you missed is towing..

Ridgeline = 5000 lbs
Tacoma = 6500 lbs.

I was going to buy a tacoma, but Honda Finance had a much better deal than Toyota Financial.

As for the guy that said the back seat of a Tundra sucks, try the Crew Max. It's a lot bigger than the D-Cab.

the Tacoma therefore you talking about here is the "TRD" version. Is towing capacity, 6500lbs/charge useful 1200lbs (6speeds trans.) If you take the 4x4 double cab 4-door, 4.0L V6, always with manual transmission, towing capacity drop to 5000lbs/charge useful 1200lbs, the Ridgeline outweighs the towing capacity 5 000/1 554

#34 ·
I can say first hand that the Taco is quicker at hwy speeds;) Lets just say the ridgeline couldn't "keep up"

#35 ·
For me, the biggest issue that prevented me from even looking at the Tacoma was seating comfort. Friend bought a tacoma, I sat in it. You sit real low, with your legs stretched out in front. A no-go for any long trip. Ridgeline, with "chair-like" seating, is much more comfortable.

#37 ·
Where did you get 18/21 for the Tacoma? Maybe the 4 banger with standard. I had a Tacoma V6 auto and 18 was the best it ever got highway. Usually 15/16 in town even less with A/C.

My Ridge gets better and it's a lot more comfortable. Like others have said in this thread, You can get options on the Taco, but you pay. I had the 4 door Taco and the back seat was ok, if you were 12 years old. I'm a big guy, 6'2" about 220 lbs and I had to drive the Taco with the drivers seat all the way back, which seriously lowered the 12 year old rear seat limit!

I will say the interior and exterior fit and paint on the Taco were a notch above the Ridge. No leather seats though and all manual adjustments. No lumbar adjustment.

And while I'm on my soap box, the thing I hated prolly the most on the Taco was the location of the cruise controls. What a stupid place to put them, on that little stem that turns with the wheel! Hard to find, always getting hit when you turn the wheel and knocking out the cruise to reset!

Ridge is a better deal all-around, no question about it.

#38 ·
Ridge is a better deal all-around, no question about it.
Jack, no argument. Only difference is that I got slightly better mpg in the 06 Taco, although lately my Ridge has been about the same at 20 mpg. Difference is I flogged my Taco (V6 auto) much more and always got 20, whereas I cruise the Ridge. Tacoma is a fun truck except for the bouncy Off-Road package and those "on the floor" seats. Put spacing washers under mine!

#39 ·
The Tacoma is a great truck, But I traded mine in on the Ridgeline....Much better traction, and my golf clubs fit in that wonderful trunk with my softball, racquetball, football gear and a small tool bag! Awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.