Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Wade OE Bug Deflector install question

6K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  Pizza Man 
#1 ·
So I've been searching about this install after spending a half hour trying to figure out what should be a very simply install. I found some great advice so far but before I go back out and frustrate myself even more, I had a question about the rubber weather stripping.

How many of you who have the Wade Bug Deflectors have removed this rubber stripping all together and how many have mounted the deflector between the hood and the rubber stripping ?

Is removing the rubber stripping going to cause any problems with water or wind noise?

As always, any insight is greatly appreciated...:D

#2 ·
I've mounted my Wade deflector between the hood and rubber gasket. No problems here after probably about a year!

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses!!!
Looks like at 50/50, I can install either way...
And Jsant01, I mean, PizzaMan, thanks for the original idea about a year ago. I'm a slow adapter... Actually, the bug guts on my window and the rock dings finally started wearing on me...:D

#7 ·
I took off the rubber gasket and the install was much easier...15 minutes... Except, the deflector is not the best quality. It's not symetrical on both ends. I wish I had noticed this before I painted it. The left end has a nice curve to it that conforms the the bottom of the hood and makes it really easy to screw in. The drivers side does not have the same curve and was very difficult screwing into place. It is noticable to me but I'm not so sure it's as obvious just taking a quick look. It's on, it looks nice and really wasn't all that expensive.
$35 plus I think $18 for shipping from Nulime. And it arrive very quickly. Less than 2 weeks. I ordered a can of spray touch up paint online and painted myself for about $20... I'll live with it for now but I'm not 100% in love with it. I should say, I'm not 100% in love with the fact that it's not symetrical. I do love the look 100%...
Thanks for the help on this...:D

I'll post pics later

#8 · (Edited)
I took off the rubber gasket and the install was much easier...15 minutes... Except, the deflector is not the best quality. It's not symetrical on both ends. I wish I had noticed this before I painted it. The left end has a nice curve to it that conforms the the bottom of the hood and makes it really easy to screw in. The drivers side does not have the same curve and was very difficult screwing into place. It is noticable to me but I'm not so sure it's as obvious just taking a quick look. It's on, it looks nice and really wasn't all that expensive.
You described my experience with the Wade deflector quite accurately. I did leave the rubber gasket in place, but was not able to use the factory mounting hole on the driver's side mounting tab, so I drilled my own. You should share your post with Danny at Wade. I also complained of this problem, but he said that he had no problems with the six he installed on Ridgelines.

#9 ·
I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you guys had with your Wade deflectors. I did not install mine, it was done by the body shop that painted it for me. They gave me no indication there was an installation problem and mine appears to be symmetrical. There are no holes drilled that i can see.

#10 ·
It's all part of the fun of mods PizzaMan...:D
It's a great look. This is from someone who actually bought this truck because of the looks and who has not added any mods because of this love of the look. :cool:

#12 ·
So here are the issues I have with my deflector...

Drivers side from front
c
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Hood

Passenger side from front
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Auto part

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drivers side from top
Bottom is not bent under enough like the passenger side is...
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Car Bumper

Passenger side from top
Automotive exterior Roof Metal

#13 ·
More images

Drivers side
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Grille

Passenger side
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Headlamp

Drivers side
Notice the bend is arched on the drivers side

Passenger side
And yet the passenger side is S-shaped to meet the contours of the hood
Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror

#14 ·
Drivers side
The bottom is not bent under and is extremely difficult to attach to hood
Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Metal Fender

Passenger side
This is perfect and mounts very easily
Vehicle door Vehicle Automotive exterior Mid-size car Car

#15 ·
I wish I had noticed this before I painted it. What I probably should have done was tried to install before painting. Just eyeballing it, I didn't see the problem. I would be willing to order another but if this is the quality shipping out, I'm a little apprehensive... I will most likely contact Wade on the issue. So I guess the point here is to make sure you check out thoroughly your Wade OE deflectors before painting them...:(

#16 ·
i cheked mine and it appears to be more symmetrical than yours , but i think even in yours its not that bad , , sry u had a bad experience, i left my black gasket on there and just trimmed it where the screws and fastners go , the right side was snugger than the left for sure

madi05

#17 ·
Ya, it's not THAT bad but the more I look at it, the more it bothers me. Plus, the side in question is pulling the plug out and I'm afraid it will pop out at some point. I may try and put my gasket back on. Thanks Madi...:D

#19 ·
I am SOOOO working on it. Busy year and the wife and new baby and all. But I am still working on it. :D

#20 ·
i just checked mine again and lifted the hood and my drivers side is lifte out a bit to but i think while hood is down it cant move, lol i guess time will tell , lol

good luck

madi05

#24 ·
Just sent an email to Wade as this Bug Deflector is about to make it's way to the trash. It just looks like crap...:(

#25 ·
No response from Wade. :(
Guess this makes this easy. I don't recommend this product as the quality is hit or miss. Wouldn't trust ordering a replacement. Furthermore, on my day trip today, my windshield got pelted with bugs. No difference with or without said bug deflector. It may save me from a few chips on the hood from rocks but those I can hide with touchup paint. This shield looks deformed. I'll stick with touched up rock chips...:rolleyes:

#26 ·
I am glad I kept researching this product as I was just about to order one and do the paint thing. Now I don't believe I will. What is particularly disturbing about this is the no response you got. :(

You have documented this whole deal quite well (w/ pics, etc.). I don't blame you for trashing that thing. It was ugly and wrong. :eek:

#27 ·
Funny thing is I still have it on. I got used to the look, despite the flaw. Most people say they don't notice it. I still do but as of now I'm living with it. Wouldn't buy another Wade product and still don't recommend them. But, the deflector is holding up well. The paint is also holding up well. I'll leave it alone until it just drives me nuts...:eek:

#28 ·
Brian, I suggest you actually talk with someone at Wade. E-mails sometimes get lost or mishandled and wind up never being routed to the appropriate person.

My Wade is now two years old, no problem with the installation or its durability. The only thing I do with it is wash it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Wade has been around for a while with many products being offered by them. I would like to think they'll stand behind their product once you get to actually speak to someone.

#31 ·
My body-colored Wade looks fine and has been installed for about seven months. I did have to modify it to fit. I spoke to someone at Wade when I first installed it about the fit problems and he recommended against the modification I made. He even offered to make some sort of amends if I still had problems. Since then, he appears to no longer work for Wade, or, at least, does not anser email. Additionally, my last emails have been ignored. I made contact on several occassions and received no recognition that there is a problem; so I cannot recommend Wade products. Unfortunately, I am not aware of another clear hood deflector to recommend if you want to go body-color.

#35 · (Edited)
brich,
Just be glad you can at least get yours on your truck even if its ballooned, bulged, and bent. Mine was so poorly molded that I cant even get it on no matter what I try. While attempting to get it on I also noticed that if I were to ever get it to fit that once my hood was closed it would be rubbing the paint on both sides of my vehicle.

I attempted to get the deflector on about 30 times, i had friends, body shops, my wife, 5 year old son, and our dog try to get it on. No one was successful getting it installed while being able to shut the hood at the same time.

I wish I would have read this thread before I bought it. But of course I only saw the other thread with everyone raving about it.

I have had a lot of bad luck over the years with Wade products. On all of the ventvisors, bug shields, and sun roof visors I have purchased my problems have always been with wade products. Like the wade vent visors that rubbed a hole in the window trim on a new $55,000 Tahoe. LOL.

Also along with brich I never heard fom Wade either. No response to my emails and i dont think I even found a phone number.

#36 ·
Well, all my complaining yet I still have mine on. It may be that I'm too lazy to take it off, or after having several members who saw it first hand tell me it was hardly noticeable that I just decided to leave well enough alone. I have to say, I love the look, still and would be equally unhappy without so for now, it stays.

Not sure what to tell you about yours. Your right, at least I was able to get mine on. You've now made unhappy customer #2. Hopefully we won't outnumber the happy customers... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.