Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Stupid Question - 5th Wheel

9K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  firefighter3666 
#1 ·
Here's a stupid question...

A friend asked me if the Ridgeline could haul a 5th wheel? I never haul anything with mine so I didn't know so that is why I am asking my stupid question.

#4 ·
I am not sure where I read it, but if I remember right, Honda advises against towing 5th wheels with the RL.

#5 · (Edited)
RIDGID said:
sure it could.
There are several reasons why it couldn't.

Firstly, the bed itself is composite and fastened to the frame with 4 pretty light weight bolts. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to shear loads so you would have to reinforce the fixing of the bed to the frame, and also provide some additional plating under the bed to anchor the 5th wheel to, or more likely figure out a way to directly bolt that to the frame too, but the spare wheel and then the fuel tank are probably in the way as they are underneath that part of the bed, along with the rear differential and suspension subframe.

Secondly, and this is probably the deal breaker. The inbed trunk would require that the 5th wheel be placed too close to the cab, where the bed sides are also at their highest, both of which severely impact turning capability. Whatever you're towing would have to have a pretty long hitch extension to set it away from the cab and high enough to clear the sides, or be high enough to clear the roof of the truck.

Thirdly, the Ridgeline only tows 5000lbs. That really limits your options regarding a 5th wheel trailer. The dry weight of most decent sized trailers exceeds that.

#6 ·
Just to set the record straight, the RL is only rated to tow 5,000 lbs at sea level with (2) 150lb. people aboard, and 30lb. total baggage (see true RL tow/payload ratings at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8957)

Once you start adding real world people and cargo weights to it, and start going up into the mountains, the rated tow capacity falls rapidly (in my own case, 600lbs of people aboard going up to 8,000' MSL ,the maximum rated tow capacity is around 3,300 lbs).

The hitch pin weight alone of most 5th wheels would exceed the maximum RL total payload and bed ratings (don't believe the manufacturer's hitch/empty weights, they are grossly understated by leaving off important things like propane tanks and batteries and mattresses during weigh in) :rolleyes: .

Heavy pop-ups or light travel trailers are it for the RL. Those here posting they are towing 4000lb ~25' trailers here with 4 people and stuff onboard all over the Rockies with their RL, and thinking they are within all specs, are in for a surprise when Honda finds out about the antics on a warranty claim :eek: .

All imho ymmv etc.

#11 ·
The 5th wheels are not bolted to the bed. There is just a hole where the ball pokes through.

From what I remember 5th is for stability not for load capability. With the weight over the axle instead of 4' to 5' behind it's more stable. Just look at the new Tundra it tows over 10K on the hitch.

That would look kinda cool to see a Ridge pulling a 5th wheel though. Maybe with a F150 on the trailer? Well I can dream can't I? LOL

#12 ·
5th wheel hitch uses the same style of king pin that 18 wheelers use. It is a rather large and heavy piece of equipment that bolts to the bed.... and will not work on a ridgeline.

A gooseneck hitch uses a larger hitch ball that protrudes through a hole in the bed and has significant bracing underneath. Also, not going to work on a Ridgeline.

Both provide improved ride stability over a standard hitch, but if you are looking at this type of towing you need to look at a different truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.