Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

VTM-4 Lock observation

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kevin_stevens 
#1 ·
I spent a couple of hours today climbing up and down canyons on a route that varied between "unimproved road" and, "no, this is a trail". Most of it was just leave the truck in 1 and modulate line and speed over the bigger ruts and drops. However, the surface was hardpacked dirt with a couple of inches of loose dirt/sand over it. On the uphills I would frequently get a little VSA throttle kill action as the front wheels lost traction. It wasn't enough to switch off VSA or stall out the vehicle, but the wheelspin that was triggering VSA wasn't doing the road any good, either.

I found that if I just punched the VTM-4 button before an uphill bump/rut, the torque transfer to the rear was almost immediate, and really helped proactively prevent front wheelspin for those short several-second bursts.

KeS

#2 ·
That's the correct use of VTM-4 Lock. Use it just long enough to get unstuck, and then switch it off.

The Ridgeline does an amazing job (within it's limits) by just driving normally.

Chip H.

#3 ·
Will VTM-4 Lock work if the TPMS warning is on? The only real chance when I will require VTM-4 lock is in the winter. Unfortunately my winter tires/wheels are not equipped with TPMS. I know that with the TPMS warning on I cannot switch off the traction control (which may bite me in the a$$ on day).

What about the VTM-4 lock?

#4 ·
That's a good question.

Sounds like it's worth getting the TPMS installed on the winters afterall!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.