Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Building my Own Bed Cover!!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TheRidgester 
#1 ·
Hi all. I've researched the Covers for a long time and just don't like what is out there and the prices are too hight for my budget. So I am building my own!:cool: I need some advice though...

-What can I and should I use on the outside edges of the cover to help "waterproof" the bed?

-What store sells shocks that are used to hold up the trunk?

-Should I waterproof and paint it, should I fiberglass, or should I cover it with powdercoated aluminum?

I estimated about $150.00 to build without fiberglass so that should be right on my price range!!

-Darkside

#2 ·
There is a member who built his own and did a pictorial of his work. You just need to go back in history to find the thread. $150 is not going to buy you much in quality parts so you may need to raise your budget a bit when you figure in parts like shocks and hinges, etc...

#4 ·
I think some diamond plate aluminum would look sweet. Bright or powdercoated. I was going to make my own as well, but to do it like I wanted, I would have needed a MIG or heliarc and the costs kept climbing so I finally just said screw it and bought an Access roll-up Tonneau. I had an Avalanche before this and I consider that to be a pretty much perfect tonneau. Watertight, easy to remove, and strong enough to stand on. I would still like to make one some day. I suggest you look at the instructions for the Access or other tonneaus for the inserts and bracing that is added behind the sidewall of the bed. That is an important part that is not readily apparent until you have done it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.