Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Windshield Noise Fixes-Tell us HOW it was fixed

6K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  MikeT 
#1 ·
I hate to start another "Windshield" thread :rolleyes: , but here it is:

Yes, I have read all the posts but still have some questions. :confused:
I still have not heard of a TSB on this yet???

My wind noise is audible at about 50MPH and above. It is not really obvious or irritating unless I am on the Interstate and trying to have a normal conversation while going about 70MPH or greater.

Has anyone else had "this type of noise" (not really that loud unless going 70MPH) fixed?

What kind of "new moulding" are you guys getting? Is it a DIFFERENT style/type or the SAME as what you had?

Does anyone have a Ridgeline that has "no buffeting noise on the windshield" while going 70MPH? (This means virtually silent) :D

If your windshield was replaced, do you know if anything was wrong with it?
I have noticed a "distorted look" through a spot in the windshield??? I would not think that it is warped?? (or it was just replaced because of having to remove it and re-install it)

Also, any other specific info. on EXACTLY what was wrong would be appreciated (not glued properly, moulding loose, any "gaps", etc.)

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll tell you what I've been told.

The problem is not with a defective windshield, weatherstrip, or any other defective part. The problem is due to the placement of the windshield during assembly. In essence the windshield is installed crooked somehow.

At VIN 516000 a better alignment procedure was implemented at the factory. Vehicles with a lower number than 516000 may or may not have the wind noise problem. Not all vehicles with a VIN below 516000 have the wind noise problem.

Since the number of vehicles with this problem is unknown there has been no normal TSB issued. The Honda Tech Line is aware of the issue and service departments that call the Tech Line are instructed on how to proceed with diagnostics and repairs if needed.

I am not associated with Honda in any way, but if your dealer gives you a hard time about this issue please send me a private message with your name, VIN, dealer name, and contact number (I will not share the info with anyone other than a high up at Honda). I can assure you I will make the right person aware of the issue. I can't guarantee anything beyond that, but I suspect that the problem will get taken care of.

As for the specific method of fixing the problem? I don't know and don't care as long as it gets fixed. I don't think I'd put up with temporary moulding fixes, but that's my personal opinion.

#3 ·
One more thing. The following is my personal opinion only. I am not familiar with the manufacturing or design mechanics of the Ridgeline, but am going on general industry experience.

If you're not sure you have this windshield noise problem, or consider it a minor problem do yourself a favor and leave it alone!

A dealer or glass shop can not remove and replace a windshield and maintain the same structural integrity as is done at the factory. Most windshields are installed with a type of press. No dealer or glass shop has this type of equipment. They have "dumb balls" and other gadgets to pound around the perimeter of the windshield but it's not the same as the factory install.

Some airbags (don't know about the Ridgeline) use the windshield as a structural support member for the airbag. There are documented cases of a replacement windshield "popping out" when the airbag is deployed and resulted in an airbag that was ineffectual.

Replacing a windshield should not be taken lightly. Sometime it's necessary and there's nothing you can do about it, but don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

Just my opinion... hope you consider it.

#4 ·
For what its worth, my VIN is just over the 516000 mark and the factory change seems to have worked - at least in my case. There is no wind noise at all other than what could reasonably be expected at or above 70MPH. After two thorough car washes and other testing with a hose there is no water leak either. It has not rained in the week that I have owned it so that test will follow. (RTL, sunroof, Navi).

#5 ·
Just to let you know the windshield noise posts are greatly appreciated here. I have had my RL almost a month but due to business trips I have put but a few miles on it. In my drives to work I am usually listening to the stereo so the noise was not too apparent.

Yesterday evening my wife picked me up at the airport. We started a nice conversation with the radio off and above 40 MPH noticed a pronounced "whistling" noise, not much unlike having the window cracked a touch. To me it was distracting and obtrusive.

To make a long story short I have an appointment next week to have it checked out. I will refer them to this site for info.

Thanks...

#6 ·
Ultra-HOG said:
For what its worth, my VIN is just over the 516000 mark and the factory change seems to have worked - at least in my case. There is no wind noise at all other than what could reasonably be expected at or above 70MPH.
Same here and in addition, mine has passed the rain test twice since Sunday.

#7 ·
Check roof-rack channel "filler strips".

Just an FYI here, if you have a roof rack and leave off any of the black rubber "filler" strip that plugs the accessory locking channel, you will get whistling. Make sure if you install something like the surfboard clamps that you cut the filler strip into segments that fill the channel on both sides of the clamps, otherwise you won't need a "deer whistle" :)

#8 ·
My VIN is 532956 and I have the windshield noise. I can clearly see a gap above the driver's side of the windshield that is not present on the passenger side. I am hard of hearing so, the noise doesn't bother me that much. My wife however, is a different story. Is there a fix that I could do instead of taking it in to the dealer? What would you do?

#9 ·
My vine is above 5400000 , i have no whistles but the passenger side black outer gasket cover the windshield is ever so slightly raised a bit more than the driver side which seems to sit flush, is this a concern?

madi05

#10 ·
My vine is above 5400000 , i have no whistles but the passenger side black outer gasket cover the windshield is ever so slightly raised a bit more than the driver side which seems to sit flush, is this a concern?
If the noise does not bother you, do not give it another moment of thought. There is nothing you can do to align the parts of the windshield gasket as it is an integral piece of the windshield installation and cannot be moved at all once the windshield is installed and the sealant dries. The gasket is one piece and sits on the inside and outside of the windshield with the glass sitting in a groove in the middle of the gasket.

The glass guy who did my third Ridgeline windshield let me be part of the install team in his shop and I personally pushed the gasket where I wanted it and was able to get it fairly square on both sides of the windshield. A real pain in the A** job and the windshield shop will be very happy to never have to do another Ridgeline again.

#12 ·
No more wind noise - Finally! My 2007 Ridgeline RTL had a fairly loud but intermittent wind noise at 65-70 MPH. I looked at many things, and added tape to the front windshield, to no effect. I read a post that indicated that it was often NOT the windshield, but rather wind channeling thru the panel at the rear of the roof where the 3rd brakelight is housed.

I removed the rear panel where the 3rd brakelight is housed at the back of the roofline, and saw 4 places where wind could flow and make noise. The first two were at the back of the roof rack, under the roof panel between the roof rack and the 3rd brakelight panel. The other two places were just below the 3rd brakelight panel on either side leading down toward the truck bed.

I used a piece of the foam pipe insulation - the round kind you buy to put on copper pipe to keep it from freezing. For the gaps between the roof rack and the rear top panel I cut 2 pieces approx 1" by 1.5" X 1" long and placed it in the gap/tunnel area under the roof panel between the roof rack and the removed rear panel. I left approx 1/8" to 1/4" gap uncovered to allow water to drain, but block most of the wind from flowing thru that channel.

The same idea for the gap/tunnel leading down from the removed rear panel toward the truck bed. The pieces I cut from the foam were approx 1" by 2" by 2" long. I again left approx 1/4" gap along where the air gap shows to allow water to drain, but still block most of the wind flow.

I put the panel back on and Voila - no wind noise ever since! The whole operation took about 20 mins. Now the only frustrating part of owning the Ridgeline is history, and it cost virtually nothing but a few minutes of my time.

#14 ·
No more wind noise - Finally! My 2007 Ridgeline RTL had a fairly loud but intermittent wind noise at 65-70 MPH. I looked at many things, and added tape to the front windshield, to no effect. I read a post that indicated that it was often NOT the windshield, but rather wind channeling thru the panel at the rear of the roof where the 3rd brakelight is housed.

I removed the rear panel where the 3rd brakelight is housed at the back of the roofline, and saw 4 places where wind could flow and make noise. The first two were at the back of the roof rack, under the roof panel between the roof rack and the 3rd brakelight panel. The other two places were just below the 3rd brakelight panel on either side leading down toward the truck bed.

I used a piece of the foam pipe insulation - the round kind you buy to put on copper pipe to keep it from freezing. For the gaps between the roof rack and the rear top panel I cut 2 pieces approx 1" by 1.5" X 1" long and placed it in the gap/tunnel area under the roof panel between the roof rack and the removed rear panel. I left approx 1/8" to 1/4" gap uncovered to allow water to drain, but block most of the wind from flowing thru that channel.

The same idea for the gap/tunnel leading down from the removed rear panel toward the truck bed. The pieces I cut from the foam were approx 1" by 2" by 2" long. I again left approx 1/4" gap along where the air gap shows to allow water to drain, but still block most of the wind flow.

I put the panel back on and Voila - no wind noise ever since! The whole operation took about 20 mins. Now the only frustrating part of owning the Ridgeline is history, and it cost virtually nothing but a few minutes of my time.
When removing the third brake light garnish (Housing), ALL of the gromets and clips are required to be repaced as they are for "One Time" use only. We have heard of members losing there third break light garnish due to the clips and gromets failing to keep it attached to the truck after it had been removed and replaced using the original grommets and clips.

#13 ·
Pictures of what you did and where you did it would be most helpful.

Nice job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.