Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Two new camper shells seen at SEMA

26K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  auditude 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! We just got home from the Las Vegas show and as promised I shot 436 photos total, 128 of which are Ridgeline related. I will try to post them in the order of importance to the majority of our members. So, here are two of the pre-production prototype camper shells being developed for this years SEMA show. The first one we came across was the model from LEER. Very nice! With integral lock utilizing the signal from the key. Mounting uses existing holes located in the bed with roof rack options for all the action sports. Leer’s effort was very good in fit & finish. The second example was from A.R.E. and featured a side opening window. It too, utilized stock mounting holes. No drilling required on either model. The A.R.E. shell retains the use of the tie-down hooks as well as the cargo lights. Again, very good fit and finish. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves. Enjoy!

#3 ·
Good job with great attention to detail. I know there are many people waiting for news on these toppers.

#7 ·
I like the look of the Leer better. The side windows follow the angled lines of the bed, which just seems to flow better. The ARE side windows look like they were running out of time and decided to stick in stock square windows. In addition, I don't like how the ARE overlaps the bed (for lack of a better word) wings. I am happy to see more accessories popping up on the market.

#8 ·
Great pics, 5SDude. Thank you for posting them.

Although I am not in the market for such a cap, they do look really nice on the Ridgelines.

#9 ·
Hmmm... six and one-half dozen of the other....

The Leer certainly has better fit and exterior looks, while the ARE has much better internal fit and finish... Since it appears that the ARE comes up higher, that might give a tad more room, but also could ad wind-noise as well...

gonna have to wait for some brave souls to get one or the other... :)

#10 ·
Thanks for the pics, much appreciated.

I'm so torn between the two. The Leer cap is by far the better looking from the outside but the inside seems to much better engineered for the ARE. I also like how the ARE seats higher up on the roof line than the Leer, seems ARE is a bit more flush and possibly and inch more height room. Inside the Leer seems to have bulges near the rear window, the ARE looks all nice and flush inside around the cargo lights and hooks. Basically I don't like ARE's side window design and their rear tailgate window. I'm guessing these are rushed prototypes for the show so I'm going to wait until I can see final production pics of both caps before I make a decision.

#12 ·
Great pics.....thanks for taking these....

Like several others, I'm really torn -- and I do need a topper. I've had an A.R.E, and it was a super product, but I like the way the Leer looks on the exterior.... better lines that flow with the Ridgeline design!

Thanks again:D

#14 ·
I like the looks of the Leer better, but I don't think I would even want a cap on my truck. I would rather have the tonneau cover, like the retrax. If I had dogs to ride in the back, I would probably go with a cap. Since I don't, I would probably be better off with an SUV instead of a truck with a cap. Just my opinion. :cool:

#15 ·
I like the Leer cap, and if I had the space to store it when it wasn't on my truck may actually consider it. I think it would be useful for moving camping geer without it getting wet, and for other things that are a little higher than a cover would allow for. The advantage to a cap over just getting an SUV is that it is still a truck bed so when you need to deal with the truck bed it is there. Even though the Element has a washable interior it is still not quite as versatile as a truck bed can be. Of course if you need to move about more people then an SUV is going to be a better choice.

So far though I really haven't had a need for something like this so I guess it will make more sense to consider it when I get to the point that it really is a utility for what I use my truck for.

#17 ·
thank you for posting comparisons.

I agree with all of you that leer looks better outside and more functional with FOB tailgate. Since I am not going inside and really want a FOB tailgate, there is really not a choice but go with Leer with the roof rack.

then again cost will always be the final factor.

#18 ·
My vote goes to the ARE. It looks like it belongs on the truck, not just an afterthought. For my taste, the exterior lines are much better. The interior also is finished very nicely. Both caps seem to take away the unique eye appeal of the Ridgeline, or lack thereof for those that do not like it.

#20 ·
Well, for what it's worth,

I didn't buy my Ridgeline because it LOOKED like the coolest truck being made - in my opinion. The looks had to grow on me. In fact, I'm still not blown away by any means.

I bought it because it DOES the coolest stuff of any truck being made "when it comes to my demands on it".

I'll have a Leer Canopy on my truck the first day it's here.
I want one of my trucks to have a dry cargo bed in the inclimate weather we have here in Oregon.
I want to take my two Great Danes with on rainy days.
I want to lock up cargo overnight without having to off-load everything I took the time to load.

Plenty of reasons for me to...'er....."shell" out the bucks.

One thing about feeling one way or another is that's it's really not up for debate. It's a feeling.

I think that all the different directions this group are going with their rides, as they personalise them, is a great thing to watch. Everyone has their reasons for the mods and options they choose.

We are all pretty fortunate to have choices like these to ponder over. Things could be a lot different. Ask any of our troops overseas.

Oh.....did I say that "outloud"? LOL

#22 ·
Maybe it is just me, or my computer, but I don't see ANY pictures, just the descriptions.

#23 ·
RedrockRT said:
Maybe it is just me, or my computer, but I don't see ANY pictures, just the descriptions.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...I can't see the pictures either.

#24 ·
cdepuydt said:
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...I can't see the pictures either.
Thanks. I thought I had gone image blind or something. Maybe they were copyrighted and had to be removed as per forum policy.

#27 ·
These pics were here last year when Ron made the posts. We'll have to see why he pulled them off a few weeks ago. I'm gathering that's what he did when he made the edits on all those posts.

What's the scoop on the old missing photos, Ron?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.