Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

E-3 Spark Plugs

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried E-3 Spark Plugs? Any difference?

#2 ·
I'm sorry to say that I watched their video... which really said nothing. At the end they want you to believe that the burn rate of a fuel changes based on the source of ignition (which is not true).

Just another take on the spark plug gimmick that's been going on for many decades.

#3 ·
The stock NGK iridium plugs are the best plugs you can buy. There is a reason the Honda engineers used them. They last for 100k miles and provide all the spark your truck will ever need. They can be had on Amazon for less than $10 each whereas a dealership will charge you about double that. Easy DIY job and you can save a few hundred bucks by doing it yourself. Don't use anti-seize on the threads and make sure you torque them to 13 lb./ft! Almost learned that the hard way.

#4 ·
multiple ground electrode spark plugs have been around as far back as I can remember. At my age that's waaaay back. The extra ground electrodes do nothing to improve spark.

Think of the spark as a miniature lightning bolt. As voltage increases there are many potential paths to ground. When the air ionizes and the spark occurs it goes to only one point. The other ground points remain inert.

The fact that this stuff has never went away proves that PT Barnum was right all along.

#5 ·
You would never see a difference on a Ridge, ......HOWEVER, I watched dyno runs on a 470HP small block chevy and after setting down a couple of base runs they replaced the plugs with E3s, it made almost 5HP more.

#7 ·
Was that in person? I've always been skeptical of watching those sorts of things on TV shows or other videos. I'm sure E3 paid a lot of money for when "Horsepower" on Spike did a test running regular copper plugs in a high performance engine and then running the E3's - supposedly yielding an 8hp gain. Who's to say the copper plugs were gapped properly or were even the proper heat range? I'm sure there are instances where the E3's would probably outperform other plugs, but the RL is not one of them. The NGK iridium is an expensive plug for good reason. Any time you can get 100k+ miles from spark plugs, you're doing well. I changed mine at 108k miles and they still looked like they could go another 100k miles.

#6 ·
why switch? OEM plugs last over 130K miles. Iridium lasts longer than Platinum or copper.

German cars take german plugs, Japanese cars take japanese plugs, domestic cars use domestic plugs. Short term some different plugs may feel better or work better but long term they usually fail early.

#11 ·
I've seen the "Gearz" test and the "Horsepower" test as well as the E3 video.

Efficiently burning the fuel that enters the combustion chamber is what makes today’s engines better than the old Points & Condenser systems of long ago. This is why we moved from mechanical ignition to electronic and well as other changes. Technology moves forward whether we do or not.

What I want to know is has anybody tried them in the real world. Where I live is considered “out in the country” of eastern NC and nobody I know has tried them.

As for the NGK last over 100,000 miles; most plugs today, will too. The Bosh Iridium are nice as well.

#12 ·
I've seen the "Gearz" test and the "Horsepower" test as well as the E3 video.
Those are television programs. They would give a good review to shoving a cucumber in the tailpipe if they bought sponsorship.

They don't "review" anything on those shows... they're all advertisements.

Compare it to NASCAR... when you see Quaker State, Mobil 1, etc. on the car that doesn't mean they actually use it. It's nothing but advertisement.

#13 ·
I don't know of anyone personally who has actually used the E3's. I wish I could be of more help, but as csimo said, it's all advertising. There may be some merit to the design of the plug. Does it actually "burn the fuel more completely and make for better combustion"? I can't say for sure. I know that every fraction of horsepower is important in drag racing and whatnot, but in everyday driving in a street vehicle you'd like never feel the difference between 250 and 255hp. The RL was designed with NGK/Denso iridium plugs. Iridium is in the platinum family and is one of the densest, strongest and most corrosion and heat-resistant metals on earth. Not all spark plugs made today can go for 100k miles. Even regular platinum plugs only go for about 60-80k miles whereas simple copper core plugs still only last about 30k miles or so. The design of the spark plug has not changed in over 100 years. Mainly because it simply works. The most important part of plugs are the heat range and the gap between the electrodes. If those are in spec, ANY plug will work in the vehicle. It's just a matter of how long that plug will last. In my mind, there is no other alternative to the NGK/Denso iridium that will work as well or last longer in the RL.

Reactions: Katzklawz1
#14 ·
So you are ensuring that the ambient air is the same, the engine temp and coolant temp are all the same? I know plenty about doing dyno pulls, and 99% of the time, that isn't possible. You can easily see a 1% difference in a peak HP rating that is attributed to nothing you did.

So no offense taken, as I know how a dyno and dyno runs are done correctly, so you might want to update that sig.

#17 ·
Are you talking engine dyno or chassis dyno? You mentioned about the car cooling down so I assume you are referring to a chassis dyno. IF that is the case , I will agree. As far as my sig....it stands as is!

#15 ·
Those are television programs. They would give a good review to shoving a cucumber in the tailpipe if they bought sponsorship.
Right on the mark.

I seem to remember a couple of fairly well known car guys enthusiastically endorsing the "Tornado" on their TV show a few years ago. Their credibility went down the toilet and the show (a disguised infomercial) disappeared from the airwaves.

#18 ·
If we're splitting hairs, you are correct. My terminology was a bit of a loose interpretation. I like your analogy, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.