Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Guns...yes!!!!guns & The Ridgeline!!!!!

473K views 3K replies 253 participants last post by  CoolBefore 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and we have some fairly conservative gun laws here. You can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon,as long as you can meet certain lawfull qualifications.NOTE: (Recently a new gun carry law was passed (2011) by the State Of Arizona, that if you are 21 years or older you no longer need a permit to carry concealed.) You can carry a weapon in your vehicle, as long as you meet certain qualifications. You can buy a handgun today at a gun store, and if you meet certain DPS qualifications, you can take it home the same day.
The last paragraph is just so you understand the mood in this state for gun ownership. I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding the rifle racks. I didn't realize how many gun enthusiasts there were out there. Some people think a gun is a luxury, but now more than ever it is a necessity to own and carry.
I am editing this because I want to thank everyone for all the replys and posts that relate to guns.
There have been over 300,000 views for my post, as of today 12/02/2015. A GUN IS A TOOL, KEEP IT WITH YOU, OR YOU CAN'T USE IT TO PROTECT YOUR SELF OR YOUR FAMILY!
Thanks again..
Vinnie
REMEMBER...IF THE WEAPON ISN'T LOADED, YOU MIGHT AS WELL USE IT AS A HAMMER!!!

Thanks...Vinnie...February 08, 2008
EDITED 07/05/2011

See less See more
Reactions: Glester and Daranch
#2 ·
I don't know of any racks made custom for the Ridgeline, but I like your style!

I've been contemplating the best way to mount a pistol holster up front where it'd be within easy reach for the driver, yet still secure. We can't carry here in backwards Wisconsin (nor in the People's Republik of Illinois to our South) but I do have a Florida permit which allows me to carry in about half of the states in our great union.

#3 ·
I work as a Special Agent for a agency here in California, I bought a Chevy Tahoe rifle rack for my M4 Carbine and Benelli shotgun, it mounts fine on the RIDGE. We're issued rifles to take home or leave in our office lock box.

I have two racks, one is a upright mounted between driver/passenger in center console to the rails of the seats and holds a shotgun and a patrol rifle (m4 variant), it is remote control lock hooked up to my viper car alarm as a zone. So when I arm the car alarm, the electric lock on the mount locks.

My other mount is bolted to the floor underneath the 2nd row of seats, holds a mp5 and shotgun.

About $300 for each rack mount.

#678 ·
You're speaking my language bro. Sounds like a sick setup.

#4 ·
woodco said:
I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and we have some fairly conservative gun laws here. You can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon,as long as you can meet certain lawfull qualifications. You can carry a weapon in your vehicle, as long as you meet certain qualifications. You can buy a handgun today at a gun store, and if you meet certain DPS qualifications, you can take it home the same day.
The last paragraph is just so you understand the mood in this state for gun ownership.
I need to know a good dealer who sells rifle racks that can be installed in the Ridgeline. I know of some companies that make them for american made trucks, but not for the Ridgeline.
Anybody out there who can help will be appreciated.

Thanks...Vinnie:D
I like the way you think as well but as stated, you'd be better served to try to find one where they're "concealed". The old style, of them hanging in the rear window( re: long guns) is good advertisement to "let someone else use them for awhile" .... ( if ya know what I mean)

I'm looking for one also, maybe under the rear seat ?

VTX

#6 ·
Woodco, my understanding on Arizona's gun laws is that you have the right to carry your firearm on your person provided it is exposed and visible. Some state laws (ex:Missouri) also allow you to carry but only in a concealed fashion. Can you explain this to a gun owner in Montreal who has to obtain written permission so as to transport a weapon to a final destination (ex:repair or sale)?

#7 ·
Andy-Montreal said:
Woodco, my understanding on Arizona's gun laws is that you have the right to carry your firearm on your person provided it is exposed and visible. Some state laws (ex:Missouri) also allow you to carry but only in a concealed fashion. Can you explain this to a gun owner in Montreal who has to obtain written permission so as to transport a weapon to a final destination (ex:repair or sale)?
Andy,

For explanation you have only to look to our constitution. The second amendment to be precise. States such as Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, Texas, Florida and others recognize and embrace the constitionally protected right to keep and bear arms. Wisconsin (where I live) and Illinois recognize only the right to keep arms, but bearing them is pretty much against state law (even though in WI we now have constitutional protections similar to the second amendment, just waiting for the courts to recognize that, though the state supreme court has shifted to an anti-gun majority so we're likely not going to get satisfaction there). There are yet other states, such as Missouri, which only allow certain licensed citizens to bear arms, and then only concealed.

From a constitutional sense all of these laws restricting our right to bear our arms are a breach of our rights, but anti-gun courts have ruled in favor of anti-gun laws and so our rights have been whittled away at over the years. We have slowly been fighting back, getting states to give us at least limited ability to exercise our right to bear arms by licensing law abiding gun owners to carry concealed.

The thought of having to get written permission from a government official just to transport one of my guns is just scary. I don't know Canada's governmental structure or political landscape like I know our own, but that one fact alone that you've shared with us is enough to keep me South of the border.

#8 ·
Arizona is very gun friendly no license for open carry or gun in vehicle non concealed. I guess the conceal permit is just a administrative process to fund the state gov't.

California is gun friendly if you go outside of the major cities. The El Dorado Sheriff is a very good guy, he has no quams about issuing.

#236 ·
Arizona is very gun friendly no license for open carry or gun in vehicle non concealed. I guess the conceal permit is just a administrative process to fund the state gov't.

California is gun friendly if you go outside of the major cities. The El Dorado Sheriff is a very good guy, he has no quams about issuing.
I can vouch for this. I used to live in Flagstaff and everyone I knew was armed. Nothing like going in to walmart with your pistol on your hip. I only wish I had my ridgeline back then b/c we'd go outside city limits to the cindar pits and shoot the hell outta everything.

#9 ·
Pa. is still pretty good as well. ( hopefully we can keep it that way)
I believe there are some regulations on "long guns" in a vehicle. They can be in sight or concealed but as I understand not loaded.
Pa. is a very stong "hunting state" . Our Game Commission gets very involved in the transportation of firearms during the various hunting seasons.
One of the game laws is ; "it's against the law to travel/hunt with a loaded firearm in the vehicle"..."to shoot from a vehicle"... to alight from a vehicle and immediately discharge a firearm".

During hunting season you'll see many,many PU's with firearms in plain sight.

As far as "handguns" ; you can get a "concealed /carry permit"( thru the proper process and verification) and have it on you at any time and to my knowledge , loaded or unloaded. ( an unloaded weapon, in this case, is like a car with no gas...;) )

I'm speaking of the rural areas, some of the larger cities may have additional regs. ?

VTX

#10 · (Edited)
coolcat said:
Andy,

For explanation you have only to look to our constitution. The second amendment to be precise. States such as Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, Texas, Florida and others recognize and embrace the constitionally protected right to keep and bear arms. Wisconsin (where I live) and Illinois recognize only the right to keep arms, but bearing them is pretty much against state law (even though in WI we now have constitutional protections similar to the second amendment, just waiting for the courts to recognize that, though the state supreme court has shifted to an anti-gun majority so we're likely not going to get satisfaction there). There are yet other states, such as Missouri, which only allow certain licensed citizens to bear arms, and then only concealed.

From a constitutional sense all of these laws restricting our right to bear our arms are a breach of our rights, but anti-gun courts have ruled in favor of anti-gun laws and so our rights have been whittled away at over the years. We have slowly been fighting back, getting states to give us at least limited ability to exercise our right to bear arms by licensing law abiding gun owners to carry concealed.

The thought of having to get written permission from a government official just to transport one of my guns is just scary. I don't know Canada's governmental structure or political landscape like I know our own, but that one fact alone that you've shared with us is enough to keep me South of the border.
It's a very different place, socially and politically, and we have a very different history in terms of the birth of our country. The right to bear arms isn't enshrined in our constitution and guns haven't had as significant a role in our history and the development of our culture.

I live in a suburban area, and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of gun owners I know - all long rifles and shotguns for hunting. I don't know anyone (I did a long time ago) who owns a weapon for protection of home or person. That being said, I was involved in pistol and rifle clubs (target shooting) for a while in the early 80's, and would do so again in the future if money and time allowed.

So, with that perspective, I have to say that the responsible and rational owner/user of a handgun or long gun poses no threat to anyone, but the fact remains that the rates of murder and robbery with a gun are considerably higher in the US than Canada. These stats are a bit old, but are likely still similar now:
There are an estimated 7.4 million firearms in Canada, about 1.2 million of which are restricted firearms (mostly handguns). In the U.S., there are approximately 222 million firearms; 76 million of the firearms in circulation are handguns.
For 1987-96, on average, 65% of homicides in the U.S. involved firearms, compared to 32% for Canada
For 1987-96, the average firearm homicide rate was 5.7 per 100,000 in the U.S., compared to 0.7 per 100,000 for Canada.
For 1989-95, the average handgun homicide rate was 4.8 per 100,000 in the U.S., compared to 0.3 per 100,000 for Canada. Handguns were involved in more than half (52%) of the homicides in the U.S., compared to 14% in Canada.
For 1989-95, the average non-firearm homicide rate was 3.1 per 100,000 people in the U.S., compared to 1.6 per 100,000 for Canada.

So don't be shy, come up and visit! Our government is different, but the people are basically the same (after all, we're just unarmed Americans:) ), there are definitely restrictions on guns(we still kill people, we just stab them or run them over, or poison them with our stronger beer), but you can learn a second language by reading your cereal box every morning, and get FREE heart surgery if you overdo it on the poutine (Andy, you can help out here)!

#332 ·
There are an estimated 7.4 million firearms in Canada, about 1.2 million of which are restricted firearms (mostly handguns). In the U.S., there are approximately 222 million firearms; 76 million of the firearms in circulation are handguns.
For 1987-96, on average, 65% of homicides in the U.S. involved firearms, compared to 32% for Canada
For 1987-96, the average firearm homicide rate was 5.7 per 100,000 in the U.S., compared to 0.7 per 100,000 for Canada.
For 1989-95, the average handgun homicide rate was 4.8 per 100,000 in the U.S., compared to 0.3 per 100,000 for Canada. Handguns were involved in more than half (52%) of the homicides in the U.S., compared to 14% in Canada.
For 1989-95, the average non-firearm homicide rate was 3.1 per 100,000 people in the U.S., compared to 1.6 per 100,000 for Canada.
Source?

Statistics like that, regardless of the source, are often misleading.

According to www.statcon.gc.ca, the current approx population of Canada is 33,850,203

According to www.census.gov, the current approx population of the US is 307,979,101

Taking into account those current population numbers, that is a HUGE percentage difference in population sizes between the two countries. Therein lies the key to unmasking the mystery of some stats that are often quoted.

At face value, some stats seem incredible but I doubt many statistics take into account the % difference in population, time, legal systems, cultures, etc. I would even doubt the sources of the stats that are often published take into account underreported ownership simply because it's illegal to own certain firearms or the trouble visited upon a reportee if the .gov discovered said ownership.

#12 ·
MikeT said:
Yummie!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D

It's fries, curd cheese, and brown gravy (Special flavor). Not what some of you with minds in the gutter were thinking :p
<Homer Simpson Impression> "Mmmmmm, poutine......" Displaced Canadian, or a well-seasoned (Ha! "well-seasoned"!) traveller, or maybe just a global gourmet? Next you'll be telling me you usually have a biere epinette with your poutine.

#13 ·
CanuckNoTruck said:
<Homer Simpson Impression> "Mmmmmm, poutine......" Displaced Canadian, or a well-seasoned (Ha! "well-seasoned"!) traveller, or maybe just a global gourmet? Next you'll be telling me you usually have a biere epinette with your poutine.
Nope, good old fashioned Coke a Cola :D It's one of the benefits of marrying red headed French Canadian girl :p :D ;)

#16 ·
CanuckNoTruck said:
I'd love to see the stats for England. Even the Bobbies don't carry a sidearm! I personally do not agree with our tough gun laws but then again, who am I to fight the feds alone.

Yeah, Quebec is truly the home of the "Poutine". MikeT, for a guy as far south as you hail from, you impress me man! It's also the home of the most beautiful women that you've ever set your eyes on. Ask a few actors like George Clooney and they'll fill you in. Grand Prix weekend in Montreal is as good as it gets...

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
.25 Cal Baretta "Bobcat" fits perfectly next to my change holder.

Connecticut residents can obtain a permit to carry concealed handguns, after a firearms safety course and an FBI check of your finger prints. Process is lenthy, but if you persist, any law abiding citizen can carry a gun.

#18 ·
Andy-Montreal said:
Yeah, Quebec is truly the home of the "Poutine". MikeT, for a guy as far south as you hail from, you impress me man! It's also the home of the most beautiful women that you've ever set your eyes on. Ask a few actors like George Clooney and they'll fill you in. Grand Prix weekend in Montreal is as good as it gets...
Cajun Country Ridgeline ought to chime in on this, because there are a lot of pretty women in Southwestern Lousiana ... for the same reason! :D

(Actually, I think I've stumbled on one of the few good things about passing AARP membership age ... As I get older, I notice that there are more & more beautiful women! :))

#19 ·
djeaux said:
Cajun Country Ridgeline ought to chime in on this, because there are a lot of pretty women in Southwestern Lousiana ... for the same reason! :D

(Actually, I think I've stumbled on one of the few good things about passing AARP membership age ... As I get older, I notice that there are more & more beautiful women! :))
Yeah, but 3/4 of them are young enough to be your daughter!!!

#20 ·
steveberger said:
.25 Cal Baretta "Bobcat" fits perfectly next to my change holder.

I just lay my Colt 380 (Mini Military) in the console. I carry in a soft holster with an extra clip pouch. Works for me.:) BTW, my Tennessee permit is good in 31 states.

#21 ·
CanuckNoTruck said:
Yeah, but 3/4 of them are young enough to be your daughter!!!
Maybe more than 3/4s of them. But I'll tell you, there are a lot more good lookin' 50-something ladies running around now that when I was 25 or 30 ;)

#22 · (Edited)
Andy-Montreal said:
I'd love to see the stats for England. Even the Bobbies don't carry a sidearm! I personally do not agree with our tough gun laws but then again, who am I to fight the feds alone.

Not so true anymore. There are English police officers (Not all though) that are carrying weopons now. I beleive their setup is similar to un-armed security officers and armed security officers here in the USA. What I mean by that is the classification of the officer that is to be issued a side arm.

I attended a telecom training course in Hazlemere, England (2001) and was given a lot of flak for being an American (Because we own guns and kill each other with them). While walking into town for lunch the first day. We (Instructor and fellow students) started to walk pass two armed police men (Each had MP5's strapped across their chests along with side arms). I asked if it was safe to continue and was told that a group of youths had just beaten a lady to death with cricket bats (They look like a cross between a boat oar and a baseball bat). Later we learned the reason they had killed her is that she had asked them to be quiet as her baby was sleeping. They had to chase her two blocks to get the deed done. Needless to say, when the UK is brought up as a much more peaceful place, I disagree from first hand and very personal experience.

I have never had any issues in Canada as the police seem to view a justified a$$ kicking as just that when it is deserved.

#23 ·
My Keltech 380 fits under the arm rest perfectly also!

Jon

#25 ·
I have a theory on the low Canada gun crimes compared to US. It's too freakin cold most of the time to hold a cold metal gun. :D

I bet you get some looks with the M4 or the MP5 in the back window that's cool.

#26 ·
Jenskp said:
I have a theory on the low Canada gun crimes compared to US. It's too freakin cold most of the time to hold a cold metal gun. :D
Actually, because we hold maple syrup in one hand and canadian bacon in the other, we lack a third hand to hold a gun! Have I mentioned the fact that our beer actually does have alcohol in it?:p :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.