Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Ultimate tire fitment chart

395K views 282 replies 148 participants last post by  39tudor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a chart I put together using user data here on the forums to show available tire sizes for the Ridge, how they fit, how far off they throw your speedometer, and what modifications you might need to squeeze them in. Please check my results and let me know about any additions/corrections. The chart is also available in PDF and XLS (Excel) versions below.

For reference, I used the tire calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
In addition, Speedlever found another great tire/gear calculator here:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/gearcalc1.php

Please note that tire manufacturers often vary in exact sizes, so check questionable fitments against the actual product specs. The downloadable files have hyperlinks to reference pages for examples and instructions.

*Trunk is approximately 275mm tall w/o the tire tray, and 30.5 inches wide between the trunk hinges

**Grind welds: Requires removing the mudflaps and grinding down the vertical pinch-welds on the rear side of the front wheel wells.

*** Fender Cutting: Not for the faint of heart. It has been proven to fit, but you will have to modify the sheet metal.

note You may notice that for most applications, a lift is actually not required. Due to the shape of the front wheel wells, the available 2" suspension lift does little to add usable clearance. The tires are more limited by the width of the wheel wells from the front bumper to the mud flap.

#Warning# To date, only Honda technicians can correct your speedometer/odometer, and most are unwilling to do so. Changing tire sizes can alter your speed and mileage readings, as well as confusing the computer inputs required for speed calculations used by the VSA, VTM-4, and transmission shift points.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Ultimate tire fitmant chart

I thought I knew quite a lot about it until I started digging! My "30 minute" project took me about 4 hours.:eek:

Reactions: GaryMB
#5 ·

Great job. Definitely subscribing to this thread so I can look back when I need tires. Thank you.

#7 ·

...Also wheel width and offset play a role in fitment and clearance.
That's something I'd also like to tackle, but I will need some help collecting the data. I can find the stock offset and some popular offsets for wider rims, but I just haven't had the time to dig any deeper yet. If people want to submit info on the rims they have tried and product links, I can make a similar chart that also acts like a shopping catalog. That's where I was headed with the tire chart (PDF and XLS versions), but just ran out of time. I also don't know what kind of conflicts there are since I began linking to TireRack, but Discount Tire is an official sponsor. Neither company carries every size in the chart, and I'd prefer not to have any gaps.

More inpuuut!

#8 ·

Great job! I am crossed eyed after spending the better part of today figuring out the tire industry...

I really like Tire Rack's survey system. Not sure how accurate it is but so far it seems like one of the best thing for me to use...?

I am searching for the widest tire with the most height I can get but one which excels in wet conditions. So far... using Tire Rack's survey... narrowed it down to the Yokohama Parada Spec X. Funny thing about the survey, it's the same on 265/50-20 and 275/45-20. Is this possible or are they cheating (via cut/paste)? What would I gain by going either with a 265/50 vs 275/45? My main concern is the sidewall's height. I use my Ridgeline as a truck and pull my 16' alum boat (800-1000lbs??).

#9 ·

Great job! I am crossed eyed after spending the better part of today figuring out the tire industry...

I really like Tire Rack's survey system. Not sure how accurate it is but so far it seems like one of the best thing for me to use...?

I am searching for the widest tire with the most height I can get but one which excels in wet conditions. So far... using Tire Rack's survey... narrowed it down to the Yokohama Parada Spec X. Funny thing about the survey, it's the same on 265/50-20 and 275/45-20. Is this possible or are they cheating (via cut/paste)? What would I gain by going either with a 265/50 vs 275/45? My main concern is the sidewall's height. I use my Ridgeline as a truck and pull my 16' alum boat (800-1000lbs??).
The reason they are showing them being the "same" is because of their overall diameter. They are taking a rather broad view of calling them equal. According to our chart, the 265/50-20 is 30.4” tall. The 275/45-20 is 29.7” tall. At least according to the numbers, the 265/50 is 7/10" taller than the other.

Here's the simple math. Metric tire sizes are mathematical formulas. A 265/50-20 is a tire that is 265mm wide (measured at the sidewall, not the tread). It's sidewall height is 50% of that width from the edge of the rim to the tread, or in this case 132.5mm. 20 is the diameter of the rim in inches.
So it is a 265mm wide, 132.5mm "tall" section of rubber. The other tire would be a 275mm wide, 123.75mm tall section. The 265/50 is roughly 1% narrower, and .9% taller.

As for the pros and cons, generally a taller narrower tire gives better cushion, protects the rim better, and provides a smoother ride but has slightly less traction. A wider, shorter tire will give greater traction, resist sidewall flexing and will corner better, but will get (slightly) worse mileage due to to higher friction. There are also varying degrees of difference in the way wide versus narrow tires perform on wet or slippery surfaces due to the difference of weight distribution over the tread.

All that said, I think you'd have a hard time noticing any difference in these two tires given how close they really are to each other. This would be a much different story if you were debating a 245/70-17 (30.5" tall) versus the 265/50-20 (30.4" tall). Same overall ride height, but 3 more inches of rubber instead of metal and 20mm difference in width.

Reactions: Teryaki537
#10 ·

I'd also like feedback on everyone's "favorite" sizes, so that I can perhaps color-code or annotate them appropriately.

#11 ·

*Bump*

I still need feedback from those with unusual sizes on how well they fit....

#12 ·

I searched bfg all terrains in the master thread and found some body with mud. terrain in 245/70/17 that said they had to trim/grind. I want a bigger tire but I won't be grinding. I thought 07RTX had this size and they fit no problem. Here's the post http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=490514&postcount=454

Did he have to grind because of the rims? Different offset? Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together.

#13 ·

I have the 265/60/18 MICHELIN AT-2 Tires and they are 30.5"
The tire slightly hit my mud flaps. I trimmed the mud flap where they hit and I still get very slight contact. If you want to run mud flaps, you should settle on a tire that's 30.0" in diameter. Good luck with the tire search.

#14 ·

For what it's worth, my Dad's ridgeline has 265/65/17 LTX MS tires on it (he ordered the wrong size when he replaced them). Backs are no issues, but the fronts rub when turning into any sort of moderately steep ramp into a parking lot or something. Nothing major, but if it was my car I'd probably modify the mud flaps. I've been borrowing it for the last few weeks while he's out of town and it happens enough to annoy me even just in the little while I've been driving it. I'm thinking he's going back to stock size or at least no bigger than a 255/65/17 next time.

#17 ·

For what it's worth, my Dad's ridgeline has 265/65/17 LTX MS tires on it (he ordered the wrong size when he replaced them). Backs are no issues, but the fronts rub when turning into any sort of moderately steep ramp into a parking lot or something. Nothing major, but if it was my car I'd probably modify the mud flaps. I've been borrowing it for the last few weeks while he's out of town and it happens enough to annoy me even just in the little while I've been driving it. I'm thinking he's going back to stock size or at least no bigger than a 255/65/17 next time.

I haven't had any problems with mine...I have the Kuhmo 265/65/17. I figured there would some rubbing as others have described with other brands, but I have had no issues and I even have the mud flaps.

#15 ·

***bump***

#16 ·

***bump***

#18 ·

***bump***

#19 ·

I just had BFG All terrains 245/70/17 put on and had to remove the mud flaps....no more rubbing

#20 ·

Thanks guys. My main computer crashed the other day, so when I get it back up and running, I'll clean up the chart(s) and re-post them.

#22 ·

For the 265/65-17 can someone post a picture of the mud-flap mod? I drive a lot of gravel roads between where I live and camping and don't necessarily want to remove the flaps, but I'm not entirely against modifying them.

I'm a real tire noob, so the 20mm (About 3/4 of an inch) width difference between the 245/70-17 and the 265/65-17 make the difference between rubbing and not, they're only 1/10th of an inch different in diameter so that shouldn't affect it that much. Are lower profile, aftermarket flaps available?

Thanks,
Rob

#23 · (Edited)

This a great thread and is helping me big time as I prepare to get new tires for these 18" RTL rims I just acquired. I am concerned that larger than OEM tires wouldn't fit but this seems to have put my fears to rest as I am an epic novice with alternate than OEM tires.

#24 ·

Thanks guys. I'm glad this is doing some good. If I get some time tomorrow I'll try to reformat the original post to look more like the chart.

#25 ·

Freshly edited for your reading pleasure :cool:

#26 ·

Not sure if this is the right place for this post but if its not, I'm sure someone will let me know. What I would like to know is: Has anyone mounted the 275/55-18 on the stock (RTL) aluminum wheels? If so, would really like to see some pics.
Thanks,

#27 ·

I guess you have to be a sponsor to get stickied around here.

Reactions: GaryMB
#28 ·

***Bump***